What is the purpose of 2 shore power cables.

rogerthebodger

Visit site
correct, it's not the voltage that kills you it's the current.
I got a suprisingly nasty shock from the starter motor connections on a "24V" engine. The battery charger was running and the actual voltage present was nearly 30V dc.
However I have charged up many a rubber balloon with static electricity to 1000s of volts and didn't feel a thing.

The volts jolt and the mills kills

Seastoke

Visit site
In the uk , where 415volts is present , the regulation states that a danger warning notice of the relevant voltage must be displayed.

Bouba

Visit site
Keeping it short isn't going to make any difference.
If you try draw more than 16A from a 16A socket, the breaker inside the pedestal will trip.
Assuming the dockside installation is kosher, that is.
I have no need for more amps.....sometimes only the large socket is available

MapisM

Visit site
I have no need for more amps.....sometimes only the large socket is available
Do you mean that your cord/plug is 16A and the adapter is for connecting to 32A socket?
I understood the other way round (hence my comment), but if this is instead the case, beware:
If for any reason you would turn on AC devices onboard demanding say 25 Amp, unless you have a 16A breaker also onboard, downstream of the power cord, you could fry the whole 16A connection - plug and/or cable.

Bouba

Visit site
Do you mean that your cord/plug is 16A and the adapter is for connecting to 32A socket?
I understood the other way round (hence my comment), but if this is instead the case, beware:
If for any reason you would turn on AC devices onboard demanding say 25 Amp, unless you have a 16A breaker also onboard, downstream of the power cord, you could fry the whole 16A connection - plug and/or cable.
I actually don’t know if the big plug sockets are of a higher amperage....in fact, before this thread I didn’t even think about it

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
Visit site
The second shore power line is probably for the air con supply.
That would be my guess with air con fitted later in the life of a boat. A potential problem as usually only one socket per boat in the Med (thinking mid size boat 16A)
You could make up a 2 to 1 adapter but depends on supply amps and your draw. Might have to stagger A/C and use of kettle/ hairdryer etc

Elessar

Visit site
Quite useful if you have a nut allergy. Peanuts aren't nuts.
So go into a pub and say “got any nuts” and they say “we’ve got peanuts” and you say “they’re not nuts they’re legumes”
They may not be nuts, but you would be.

And the point is it’s a useless label even if you have a nut allergy, because if you eat them and you have a nut allergy you are stupid. Label or not.

Seastoke

Visit site
So go into a pub and say “got any nuts” and they say “we’ve got peanuts” and you say “they’re not nuts they’re legumes”
They may not be nuts, but you would be.

And the point is it’s a useless label even if you have a nut allergy, because if you eat them and you have a nut allergy you are stupid. Label or not.
If you touched 415 volt on Friday you would not be resurrected on Sunday.

Elessar

Visit site
If you touched 415 volt on Friday you would not be resurrected on Sunday.
Same as 240v and anyway to “touch 415v” you have to be stupid enough to touch the lives of different phases simultaneously one in each hand.
Three phase only gives you 220v on each phase the same as any other mains voltage.
It’s a particular type of stupid to touch both.

Last edited:

Elessar

Visit site
So a no entry sign useless , u are talking shite.
Nope. Electric is dangerous. If you don’t know that you’re an idiot. Same with peanuts if you have an allergy to them.
⛔️ is a restriction that only exists because of the sign. Without the sign it’s not no entry. So it serves a purpose.