What is the one thing other boats do that bug you?

Daydream believer

Visit site
Boaters who take yapping dogs & think that you should. like them too
Boaters who think you want to listen to their loud music
Boaters who leave noisy wind generators running in port
Boaters who turn their engines on half an hour before they depart at 04-00 in the morning
Charter fishermen who do likewise night or day

Last edited:

SteveTibbetts

Visit site
Boaters who take yapping dogs & think that you should. like them too
Boaters who think you want to listen to their loud music
Boaters who leave noisy wind generators running in port
Boaters who turn their engines on half an hour before they depart at 04-00 in the morning
Charter fishermen who do likewise night or day

When I got my dog I dreamed he'd be a salty old seadog sitting contentedly while i sipped a G&T at anchor.

It turned out he hates the inboard so we sail whenever possible. Unfortunately he also has a death wish for the outboard on the tender as well. The result - I have a barking dog as there's just me and him sometimes when Mrs T also has plans. Handling either boat safely is the top priority. Please be assured I have no illusions that anyone actually likes a barking dog but I'm doing my best to manage boat and canine crew at the same time.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
;) A fine assessment sir (doffs cap)

I prefer "fuller figured gentleman" though the boat is indeed a double ender.

Why are most stanchion bases - I have just checked, and this includes my own - fastened with two outboard screws and one inboard, ensuring that they can resist a wallop from another boat more than a crew member falling against them?

Simondjuk

Visit site
I prefer "fuller figured gentleman" though the boat is indeed a double ender.

Why are most stanchion bases - I have just checked, and this includes my own - fastened with two outboard screws and one inboard, ensuring that they can resist a wallop from another boat more than a crew member falling against them?

To prevent the static wire tension pulling them inboard. It's surely apparent why any outboard loadings require less stanchion base strength to be resisted.

clyst

Visit site
I have more fun with the ones that try to just blank you as if you don't exist. A good morning or afternoon spoken as they pass always gets a startled with a smile from me. Slightly related, I cycle the Forth & Clyde Canal most mornings to work and have gradually 'educated' a couple of blankers to now get a hello from as we pass.

Returning to the original question, I'm surprised that no one including me earlier in the thread, mentioned Eberspachers or the likes. Whether it's in the marina or in a remote anchorage, the constant drone on a warm summer evening is a pain. We have one but it is only used in the winter as we're rufty tufty Scots.

Why would anyone be running an eberspatcher on a warm summer's evening ??

JumbleDuck

Visit site
To prevent the static wire tension pulling them inboard. It's surely apparent why any outboard loadings require less stanchion base strength to be resisted.

Even on my double ender I don't think there is enough curvature to make much difference. Fair point if I read it right) about the wires taking some of the outward load, though I think the stanchions have to contribute substantially too if they are to be of much use.

BobnLesley

Aground in Yorkshire awaiting a very high tide
Visit site
On my own rather than 'other' boats:
Those insensitive crew we've had occasionally who've have the temerity to slip and fall against the guard-wires, or even worse, against any of the stanchions themselves - they're all named you know and we've made little woolly-hats for the top of each, to keep them warm on cold nights - they're not for falling against, any right-minded crew man ought to know that and make every effort to slip overboard without disturbing them and repeat offenders hung from the yard-arm - using an old halyard of course, not one of those namby-pamby 20%-stretch mooring lines.

Nostrodamus

www.cygnus3.com
When I am moored med style I am always more than happy to help another boat coming in and take their lines. They are of course usually happy for someone to do do.
What bugs me though is those boats who quiet happily let you help them but them will watch other boats coming in but make no effort to help them. They will just sit in the cockpits hiding pretending they have not seen.
Then there is the short-handed crew you help in only to find there is 37 more crew members below who only appear when the boat is tied up.

Chi Man

Visit site
Boats with fenders out underway!
I am guilty of this every time! Just a bit lazy and nowhere really to stow them whilst underway, but I do understand many people abhor the practice of being underway with fenders out, what is the reason? If they are secure then no real problem, apart from aesthetics?!

BobnLesley

Aground in Yorkshire awaiting a very high tide
Visit site
...moored med style I am always more than happy to help another boat coming in and take their lines. They are of course usually happy for someone to do so...

That reminded me of one we saw innumerable times in the eastern Med, though it really just intrigued rather than annoyed me: We would come into a half-filled harbour, with lines/fenders prepared and would notice several long-term/cruising yotties beneath their cockpit awnings and biminis look up and in one glance clock that we too were 'part of the community'; by the time our anchor was dropped and bow approaching the quay (we don't do stern-too) there would be three or four on hand to take our lines and say hello. An hour later we'd look up from whatever we were now doing at the sound of an approaching yacht and if he was coming in close-by, we'd go to offer assistance; if it was a long-termer we'd be one of the half dozen there to lend a hand, but if it was an obvious bare-boat charterer arriving, we'd oftentimes be the only ones to make the effort; what was that all about? Charterers, even flotilla yachts are still people/sailors too, being a long-term/liveaboard doesn't make us anything special/superior and given that the charter skipper probably hasn't Med-moored fifty or a hundred times before, he's probably more in need of assistance than the long-term cruising skipper that we're all rushing to help. I accept that some (many?) charter yachts are mobbed out with a bunch of noisy, holiday-mode crew, but they're tying-up there whether you like it or not, so give them a hand; the flip-side is that a goodly proportion of charter yachts are crewed by really nice people and a highlight of their holiday is spending a half-hour sharing a beer with the 'real' Med-Liveaboard who helped them moor-up.

Nostrodamus

www.cygnus3.com
That reminded me of one we saw innumerable times in the eastern Med, though it really just intrigued rather than annoyed me: We would come into a half-filled harbour, with lines/fenders prepared and would notice several long-term/cruising yotties beneath their cockpit awnings and biminis look up and in one glance clock that we too were 'part of the community'; by the time our anchor was dropped and bow approaching the quay (we don't do stern-too) there would be three or four on hand to take our lines and say hello. An hour later we'd look up from whatever we were now doing at the sound of an approaching yacht and if he was coming in close-by, we'd go to offer assistance; if it was a long-termer we'd be one of the half dozen there to lend a hand, but if it was an obvious bare-boat charterer arriving, we'd oftentimes be the only ones to make the effort; what was that all about? Charterers, even flotilla yachts are still people/sailors too, being a long-term/liveaboard doesn't make us anything special/superior and given that the charter skipper probably hasn't Med-moored fifty or a hundred times before, he's probably more in need of assistance than the long-term cruising skipper that we're all rushing to help. I accept that some (many?) charter yachts are mobbed out with a bunch of noisy, holiday-mode crew, but they're tying-up there whether you like it or not, so give them a hand; the flip-side is that a goodly proportion of charter yachts are crewed by really nice people and a highlight of their holiday is spending a half-hour sharing a beer with the 'real' Med-Liveaboard who helped them moor-up.

Totally agree

fisherman

Visit site
I remember reading about a chap cruising about the Pacific. He was moored stern to amongst a lot of other boats, and a French yacht was seen bearing down on them before a very stiff breeze. Gradually everyone settled down to watch the action. The yacht carried on with seemingly no preparation being made for the inevitable mayhem, then at the very last moment she rounded up smartly, dropped the anchor and sails in very short order, glided smoothly into the berth and lassooed the bollards.

Serin

Visit site
then at the very last moment she rounded up smartly, dropped the anchor and sails in very short order, glided smoothly into the berth and lassooed the bollards.

:D I try to avoid stereotypes, but I do find that the French are often very dashing sailors!

Amulet

www.flickr.com
Three strand nylon stretches about 20% before breaking, so say in normal use (and to make the sums easy) 10% stretch. So on a three meter warp, it'll stretch 30 cm before snatching. That's enough to leave your fillings undisturbed.
Don't believe this tells the whole story. I think that you have to give a pretty violent snatch to get your 10% stretch. Also, a professional rigger (maybe one with weird opinions), told me that this was all nonsense. New nylon with no UV damage stretches a lot, but it soon hardens and loses its stretch and is no better than your old sheets.