What is the one thing other boats do that bug you?

Nostrodamus

www.cygnus3.com
We all have our pet hates that other boaters do that really bug you and bring out the grumpy old man syndrome.
So what is it..

A dinghy or boat going through an anchorage too fast ... wake and no regard for swimmers?
Boats anchoring too close?
Boats trying to overtake you just as going into a marina or anchorage to be there first?
Peeing over the side in full view of everyone?
non British residents with a British ensign?
Loud music?
Someone who does not know or ignores the rules of the sea?

These a just a couple of possible examples but what really bugs you about other boat users?

KAL

Visit site
Definitely the first, especially when you're on your mooring.

Also, people who get all precious about others crossing their boat in a crowded berth. We arrived once, in St. Peter Port, having sustained a complete loss of all our water (a hose had worked loose from the calorifier on passage). The place was heaving but when my son politely asked permission to cross the inside boat's bow with a hose, its old trout of a First Lady gave him immense grief.

Also, inconsiderate parts who believe that the best way to manoeuvre a boat in a tight space, early in the morning, is to gun the donkey in either for'ard or astern, then shout at their crew to FEND OFF as they career headlong into other boats.

Oh my. Beginning to sound a bit miz...

Eyore

Visit site
French are particularly bad at the habit of pissing over the side in full view of everyone.:ambivalence: Hate it when you are anchored somewhere quietly by yourself when another boat feels compelled to invade your space. Stinkpots running noisy generators.

TiggerToo

Visit site
Actually go sailing, when I am stuck at a desk...;).

Chill out and enjoy the breeze...:encouragement:

ctva

Visit site
Using bow thrusters when in 99% of the situations a minutiae of semanship skill would work far better.

I watched in a marina a couple of weeks ago a 24' boat with on make a complete hash of parking in no wind conditions, then a week later watched the Flying Dutchman (100'ish steel tall ship) park effortlessly in Tobermory with nowt more than a large prop, rudder and wind.

clyst

Visit site
People who pull or push on my stations when berthing alongside . Really really p..s me off .

Triassic

Visit site
I can forgive ignorance in just about everybody because, after all, we all started in the same place...... What I can't stand is arrogance, those that think that for some reason they don't need to treat others with even a tiny bit of respect and consideration. The OP identified some of the symptoms, but the route cause is they simply don't care. Fortunately I can either anchor in water they can't get into, or simply still away faster than they can go even with their compulsory engine on.......:)

Talulah

Visit site
An occasional annoyance:- Racers who have just come back and lay out their sails on the pontoon completely obstructing the pontoon. Then making no attempt to clear the footway asap.

flaming

Visit site
The only thing that ever gets to me is arriving somewhere like Weymouth, where you know you have to raft, to be met by a wall of backs as everyone studiously tries to ignore you.

niccapotamus

Visit site
I can forgive ignorance in just about everybody because, after all, we all started in the same place...... What I can't stand is arrogance, those that think that for some reason they don't need to treat others with even a tiny bit of respect and consideration. The OP identified some of the symptoms, but the route cause is they simply don't care.

this - which covers most sins. when sailing/boating all it takes is some respect and thoughtfulness for others and all is good - but that goes both ways.

Talulah

Visit site
People who walk all over my sails when I have laid them out to dry on the pontoon..... :)

I've thought of another racer related annoyance.
A fleet of racers who turn up in the marina wanting to borrow your water hose because they took off their hose and emptied their tanks prior to the race.
(Happend 3 weeks ago when I was in Cherbourg.)

I will say they left very quietly at about 4am on the Sunday morning. Hardly a word said.

Last edited:

Triassic

Visit site
A fleet of racers who turn up in the marina wanting to borrow your water hose because they took off their hose and emptied their tanks prior to the race.

Did that really bug you? I see that sort of thing as just part and parcel of sailing. We all have different needs and priorities and getting as much weight off the boat as possible is definitely part of racing.... and most people appreciate that. Mind you I did get some strange looks a few weeks ago when I approached some complete strangers in a Marina and asked to borrow their ten year old son for a few minutes....... Fortunately they were most obliging once I had explained I need his small hands to reach inside my water tank with a sponge!

Talulah

Visit site
Did that really bug you? I see that sort of thing as just part and parcel of sailing. We all have different needs and priorities and getting as much weight off the boat as possible is definitely part of racing.... and most people appreciate that. Mind you I did get some strange looks a few weeks ago when I approached some complete strangers in a Marina and asked to borrow their ten year old son for a few minutes....... Fortunately they were most obliging once I had explained I need his small hands to reach inside my water tank with a sponge!

If a regular sailor came up and asked to borrow a hose because they had got caught out I would be obliging. However, when someone deliberately takes off their hose on the assumption someone else will then lend them one then that is 'using' people. So yes, that does bug me.