What is the best marine engine ever made

Nostrodamus

www.cygnus3.com
Over the years sailors have tried to marinise almost every type of engine. Some are total dogs ears, some are ok but is there any that really stand out. what in your opinion is the best marine engine made for a sailboat and why?

wully1

Visit site
Perkins 4108

15 years of faultless performance after a total rebuild carried out by a bus garage at a very reasonable cost. Cheap pattern non yotty parts for non yotty prices.

jerrytug

N/A
Visit site
Over the years sailors have tried to marinise almost every type of engine. Some are total dogs ears, some are ok but is there any that really stand out. what in your opinion is the best marine engine made for a sailboat and why?

You are saying two different things, "tried to marinise" implies an engine originally meant for something else, then

" made for a sail (ING) boat" means an engine designed and built to power yachts.

Can you narrow it down please, mucho appreciado

Nostrodamus

www.cygnus3.com
You are saying two different things, "tried to marinise" implies an engine originally meant for something else, then

" made for a sail (ING) boat" means an engine designed and built to power yachts.

Can you narrow it down please, mucho appreciado
Jerry, I think most engines in sailboats have never actually been designed with sailboats in mind. Most are conversions from something else so apat from probably beta what does it leave.. I am probably wrong as usual but most people like me gripe about engines and I was looking for good things to say about them if there is any

sailorman

Visit site
If it was such a good engine why did it need rebuilding at 2200 hours?

22yrs sitting in a sail boat, smoked like a bas tid one September. a 50 yr old design with a piece of string wrapped around the aft end of the crankshaft to stop the oil coming out.
i couldnt justify getting into a rebuild on an old designed engine.
i fitted a new Nanni 4150 a far more refined engine, quieter,more power & no oil leaks

jerrytug

N/A
Visit site
These are good, I was on a ship with SKLs, made in Magdeburg in the GDR, quality machines.

The one in the picture is the exact type fitted in The Kruzenstern, the biggest square rigger, a sailing ship! They must be the best!

Nostrodamus

www.cygnus3.com
22yrs sitting in a sail boat, smoked like a bas tid one September. a 50 yr old design with a piece of string wrapped around the aft end of the crankshaft to stop the oil coming out.
i couldnt justify getting into a rebuild on an old designed engine.
i fitted a new Nanni 4150 a far more refined engine, quieter,more power & no oil leaks

Must have been like loosing a friend

scottie

Visit site
By definition of being designed as a yacht auxiliary engine from scratch then the volvo 2000 series was Certainlly the last of not very many not built with other uses in mind.

Vallich

Visit site
Dolphin 2stroke is excellent - well the one on my boat is and it's nearly xx years old. Don't want to offend it by revealing it's age, she's sensitive like that...

fishermantwo

Visit site
Marine engines in yachts are obviously the ones with the flywheels on the front, Buhk Volvo md7's etc. However the best marinised engines and the best thing that ever came out of Britain is the Gardner LW series diesels. Started life in about 1928 as an army truck engine, powered your double decker buses. My old fishing boats engine is over 60 years old and still all original and still runs perfectly. New owners for her now though I have retired.