What is the best lifejacket for me?

Tomahawk

Visit site
The RNLI say a life jacket is useless unless worn...

My take is an LJ is useless until you find yourself in the water. Indeed until then it is a hinderance, no matter how light it is.

One looks at the likes of Alex and Samantha skippinground the decks on their Vendee boats and wondrs why they don’t wear LJ's or even tethers.

skipper681

Visit site
I am on the verge of buying a life jacket but would like to ask your advice.

I weigh 16 stone, am middle aged and still like a bit of excitement. I mostly sail in coastal waters but would like to venture further away on occasion.

The two standards are 150N and 275N. I have been informed that the 150N is more than adequate for most coastal and blue water sailing, and that organisers of major races only insist on the minimum standard of 150N.

275N seem to be for commercial vessels and perhaps lone sailors.

Now I understand that the ISO standard is a MINIMUM buoyancy rating, and that if for example a life jacket has a buoyancy of 270N, it will comply with the ISO standard for 150N. So lets put that aside for now.

I also understand that 275N standard LJs make manouvering difficult although they will maintain a better height from the water for your airway. They are also it seems quite bulky or heavy and could be uncomfortable to wear for extended periods or in hot weather.

My question is this; Is there a life jacket that will provide a good compromise buoyancy that means I only have to buy one life jacket and not two? I thought 200N might do the trick, but have only found the Crewsaver Crewfit 190N which seems to come close. But is it as comfortable as the Spinlock Deckvest which has a buoyancy of 170N?

I must emphasise that I do place a high value on my life, and will obviously buy a life jacket that is appropriate for the sailing I undertake, but it seems that there is a big difference between the two standards, which might leave scope for an intermediate buoyancy rating.

I would be grateful for your views,

SJK

I'd say a yellow one

Last edited: