What is the best lifejacket for me?

SJK

Visit site
I am on the verge of buying a life jacket but would like to ask your advice.

I weigh 16 stone, am middle aged and still like a bit of excitement. I mostly sail in coastal waters but would like to venture further away on occasion.

The two standards are 150N and 275N. I have been informed that the 150N is more than adequate for most coastal and blue water sailing, and that organisers of major races only insist on the minimum standard of 150N.

275N seem to be for commercial vessels and perhaps lone sailors.

Now I understand that the ISO standard is a MINIMUM buoyancy rating, and that if for example a life jacket has a buoyancy of 270N, it will comply with the ISO standard for 150N. So lets put that aside for now.

I also understand that 275N standard LJs make manouvering difficult although they will maintain a better height from the water for your airway. They are also it seems quite bulky or heavy and could be uncomfortable to wear for extended periods or in hot weather.

My question is this; Is there a life jacket that will provide a good compromise buoyancy that means I only have to buy one life jacket and not two? I thought 200N might do the trick, but have only found the Crewsaver Crewfit 190N which seems to come close. But is it as comfortable as the Spinlock Deckvest which has a buoyancy of 170N?

I must emphasise that I do place a high value on my life, and will obviously buy a life jacket that is appropriate for the sailing I undertake, but it seems that there is a big difference between the two standards, which might leave scope for an intermediate buoyancy rating.

I would be grateful for your views,

SJK

BlueSkyNick

Visit site
I have a 275N because of my size, but wouldnt buy another one. In general, a big body will float as easily as a small one, but its all the waterproofs, boots etc that concerned me. Wearing it in its usual packed state is no problem at all

Then we went on a Sea Survival course and I learned how difficult it is to climb into a life raft wearing a 150N, and hope that I never have to do this, let alone in a bigger LJ.

When I am ready for a new one, I will definitely go for a Spinlock. The fact that many professional mariners wear them is good enough for me.

alant

Visit site
I am on the verge of buying a life jacket but would like to ask your advice.

I weigh 16 stone, am middle aged and still like a bit of excitement. I mostly sail in coastal waters but would like to venture further away on occasion.

The two standards are 150N and 275N. I have been informed that the 150N is more than adequate for most coastal and blue water sailing, and that organisers of major races only insist on the minimum standard of 150N.

275N seem to be for commercial vessels and perhaps lone sailors.

Now I understand that the ISO standard is a MINIMUM buoyancy rating, and that if for example a life jacket has a buoyancy of 270N, it will comply with the ISO standard for 150N. So lets put that aside for now.

I also understand that 275N standard LJs make manouvering difficult although they will maintain a better height from the water for your airway. They are also it seems quite bulky or heavy and could be uncomfortable to wear for extended periods or in hot weather.

My question is this; Is there a life jacket that will provide a good compromise buoyancy that means I only have to buy one life jacket and not two? I thought 200N might do the trick, but have only found the Crewsaver Crewfit 190N which seems to come close. But is it as comfortable as the Spinlock Deckvest which has a buoyancy of 170N?

I must emphasise that I do place a high value on my life, and will obviously buy a life jacket that is appropriate for the sailing I undertake, but it seems that there is a big difference between the two standards, which might leave scope for an intermediate buoyancy rating.

I would be grateful for your views,

SJK

Even at your gravitas, the 150 newton LJ's will be ok.

alexrunic

Visit site
I have a Seago 275 N and a compass 275N professional range life-jacket. I find both comfortable to wear for extended periods. I personal would go for the 275N ones.

bbg

Visit site
All of this IMHO, and largely based on what I've read, so take it on that basis.

Large people will float as well as thin people. 150 N will be sufficient.

275 is made for people who carry negatively bouyant kit. Boots / waterproofs are not seriously negatively bouyant.

275 will only float your airway higher if you wear it properly.

Personally I would not go for 275. I really struggle to think of any advantages, only disadvantages.

Spinlock is nice but I've also heard good things about the Kru Sport Pro, and if I were buying today I'd like to try both on before I bought one or the other.

Tranona

Visit site
Most 150s are actually 175. As already stated, more than adequate from a bouyancy perspective for yachting use. 275 are only recommended for use in situations where the wearer may be carrying heavy equipment.

Much more important is comfort and features such as hood and light. Some people are quite comfortable with a bsic LJ, but others value some of the more sophisticated features of more expensive models. However AKAIK there is no evidence that more expensive models are any better at "saving lives". The key issue is to be wearing the LJ when you need it and comfort and fit are important in this respect.

snowleopard

Visit site
Rather than go for the bigger buoyancy, spend the money on the accessories. A crutch strap or thigh straps are absolutely essential. I personally prefer the crutch strap as I find the thigh straps fall forward to the back of my knees when I bend leaving me unable to stand up again. If you might find yourself in the water in windy conditions (a fair bet) a spray hood is important. The windage and drag on a body in the water will always turn you to face into the wind and spray which can make it hard to breathe. If you sail at night a strobe light will enable you to be found. A PLB (personal locator beacon) will also help you to be located by rescuers. If you sail singlehanded it has to be a 406 MHz type. It can also serve as an EPIRB for the boat being just the same as the big ones except for a shorter transmit time.

Ubergeekian

Me: Castle Douglas, SW Scotland. Boats: Kirkcudbri
www.drmegaphone.com
I almost wrote "better", but some large people are muscular (with low body fat), and some small people have relatively high body fat.

This is true. When I was swimming a lot I was (a) obese, according to the BMI/BMA and (b) 8% body fat. If I stopped swimming then I sank like a stone. Nowadays I float quite happily ... :(

maxi77

Visit site
Last year we opted for the secumar jackets, came with hood, light and a very good crutch strap and have a very sensible push button type catch. Easier to put on than many and very easy to slip of for those trips to the heads. Not the cheapest but worth the extra if you can find them

SJK

Visit site
what is the best life jacket for me?

Many thanks to all who answered. The weight of opinion seems to favour the ISO 150N standard. Just a matter of which one. I have tried the spinlock, and found it very comfortable. I need to find a chandlery that sells all the ones I would like to try, so will keep my options open for the time being.

Best to all,

SJK

alant

Visit site
Many thanks to all who answered. The weight of opinion seems to favour the ISO 150N standard. Just a matter of which one. I have tried the spinlock, and found it very comfortable. I need to find a chandlery that sells all the ones I would like to try, so will keep my options open for the time being.

Best to all,

SJK

before you buy a spinlock, see previous posts about the strop attachment.

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?t=261663&highlight=spinlock+life+jacket

Last edited:

FishyInverness

www.gaelforcegroup.com
Just like everyone has said before - 150N would be more than adequate for your requirements, it only takes around 30 Newtons of buoyancy to make the average adult float.

Therefore 150 Newtons will happily keep even a big person with neck above warer - and again as already commented upon, most Lifejackets exceed the EN396 rating for 150Newton buoyancy (not had a look at the new ISO standard in any detail yet).

275 Newton Lifejackets are designed for those carrying heavy equipment, heavy clothing which might trap air, personal preference if you're going to be in a very rough sea, or if you are wearing buoyant clothing such as a floatation jacket or suit. (If you're interested, this is because if you were wearing clothing of around 50 Newton buoyancy or above it would "fight" with the lifejacket's buoyancy if you happened to fall face down unconcsious and would not be guaranteed to flip you over..275 certainly would.)

I have heard good and bad feedback about the Spinlock from a comfort point of view, some love it, some hate it. I guess it's as to whether you like feeling trussed up(!) and secure. Some people really don't like the thigh straps and modify them accordingly. It is a fantastically made and equipped jacket though. Would certainly reccomend trying on a number though, and seeing which you prefer from a personal viewpoint...after all it's you that will be wearing it, possible for a long time under a number of conditions...

Just a note on the comments about the difficuly of getting into a Liferaft with a fully inflated jacket (especially 275 Newton ones, which are restrictive on movement when inflated). When undergoing lifejacket servicing training I raised this with the UK Lifejacket manufacturer undertaking the training, and he replied simply : "There's a valve on the manual air tube, squeeze it, let some air out...you're at the liferaft, there's no need to have your LJ fully inflated if it's hindering your embarking into a safer environment." - It's a good point...

dt4134

Visit site
I've one 275N lifejacket and a fair few 150N (Seago 175N) lifejackets on the boat.

The 275N dates back to when I was doing a lot of offshore racing. I'm pretty heavy too and with lots of extra layers on in cold weather I thought the 275N better. It is not uncomfortable when it goes off (although I've never yet had it inflate on me in the water rather than on deck) and as the previous posters have said you can reduce the buoyancy by letting a bit of gas out.

Main disadvantage is that the 60g cylinders are more expensive and harder to replace at short notice, to the extent I bought a 150N even before I got my own boat.

The Spinlock lifejackets are rather fashionable in racing circles. A little bit of extra freedom of movement and reduction in bulk is quite attractive to foredeck crew and those hiking on the rail. Not convinced it is worth the extra money for cruising sailors though.

rotrax

Visit site
All of this IMHO, and largely based on what I've read, so take it on that basis.

Large people will float as well as thin people. 150 N will be sufficient.

275 is made for people who carry negatively bouyant kit. Boots / waterproofs are not seriously negatively bouyant.

275 will only float your airway higher if you wear it properly.

Personally I would not go for 275. I really struggle to think of any advantages, only disadvantages.

Spinlock is nice but I've also heard good things about the Kru Sport Pro, and if I were buying today I'd like to try both on before I bought one or the other.

Hi, Tried both the Spinlock and Kru sport pro on in the chandlers. Went for the Kru- both First Mate and I found it more comfortable and more user freindly in its adjustments and method of fastening. We are both delighted with them in use on the boat-we hardly know we are wearing them compared to our old generation ones.