What is it about Marinco plugs.

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
www.jensenengland.co.uk
One of my Christmas presents was a nice new shore support lead with a Marinco plug one end and a standard blue (builders) plug on the other.
Although I’m a low ampage user my boat has the 32A fitting and of course the new lead is the smaller 16A Marinco.
I contacted Tough Leads (the original supplier) in view to make a swop (and pay a bit more). Really helpful guy and got this amazing reply.
I had no idea putting a plug on the end of a lead could get so complex.

It is unfortunately a little trickier that it first seems. We've only had to fit the 32A Marinco twice - but the issue is that the cord grip and the cable entry within the connector cover is huge as it's designed for a thick 32A American cable. We tried a number of ideas, but it proved impossible to terminate a 2.5mmsq 16A cable within it. The only option was to terminate the marine lead with a 16A commando socket and then build a short adaptor with a 16A commando plug and 32A Marinco socket. Even that was challenging as really the Marinco needs 6mmsq cable, but that doesn't fit in a 16A plug, so we had to compromise with 4mmsq, which works just.

Of course DIY kicks in (I’m in Spain) but I can’t get the shroud off the Marinco 16A plug to take a look. I’m doomed. Can anyone here help with at least this bit?

Portofino

Visit site
Build up the dia of the 16 A lead with wrapping insulation tape so it fits tight enough to be gripped in the larger 32 plug , termination jaws that grip it as it comes out of the plug .

To open from memory ( I open mine once a yr to ck the terminals ) undo the screw in the centre , there may be two ,of the white part of the plug .Once loose the yellow cover just slides back exposing the connectors and the jaws that hold against pulling .

Alternatively if you don’t like fatting up the 16 A wire to fit 32 plug jaws with tape ……cut some 1/2 pipes of outer insulation to place round and effectively fatten up the dia to fit .Consider gluing them on once the dia is correct .

Croftie

Visit site
Not sure what the size diference is between the 2.5mmsq and 6mmsq cable, but rather than insulating tape what about 2 or more layers of heat shrink?

(Just seen Porto's post, not having a go at his tape suggestion)

Moonstruck

Visit site
Build up the dia of the 16 A lead with wrapping insulation tape so it fits tight enough to be gripped in the larger 32 plug , termination jaws that grip it as it comes out of the plug .

To open from memory ( I open mine once a yr to ck the terminals ) undo the screw in the centre , there may be two ,of the white part of the plug .Once loose the yellow cover just slides back exposing the connectors and the jaws that hold against pulling .

Alternatively if you don’t like fatting up the 16 A wire to fit 32 plug jaws with tape ……cut some 1/2 pipes of outer insulation to place round and effectively fatten up the dia to fit .Consider gluing them on once the dia is correct .
This is exactly what I had to do. I cut two “halves” of outer insulation and superglued them to the lead. I then put a heat shrink tube over it and it seems to work fine. I remember it being very fiddly though !

Hurricane

Visit site
I had this problem on our previous boat.
So, on this one, I cut the lead that the boat builder supplied (2 of them in my case) down to about 18" long.
With the Marinco plug still on the end (mine are 32a).
I then fitted some builders 32a sockets onto the short end.
I then have lots of different length leads that plug into the short leads.

The short cables fit nicely in a locker away from the weather etc
ElectricalInput.JPG

Kind of like Pinnacle says.
Problem solved.

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
www.jensenengland.co.uk
I had this problem on our previous boat.
So, on this one, I cut the lead that the boat builder supplied (2 of them in my case) down to about 18" long.
With the Marinco plug still on the end (mine are 32a).
I then fitted some builders 32a sockets onto the short end.
I then have lots of different length leads that plug into the short leads.

The short cables fit nicely in a locker away from the weather etc
View attachment 156700

Kind of like Pinnacle says.
Problem solved.
Yes that’s good
I do have a gas locker in a similar position I could do the same although a little unsure whether to have gas bottles and elec in the same box.
Thanks
ps In relation to my other post Mike, SHMBO has said let’s give it another year. There is no accounting for the female mind.

Portofino

Visit site
Marinco plugs are horrible. Don't believe me ? shore power connector fire risk - Google Suche

I use Ratio connectors, far better quality and waterproof whether plugged in or not.

For example (no connection): Ratio Stainless steel shore power inlet. 2P+E. 240v 16A , API-RATIO-2P-E/16/240/SS | Energy Solutions
Yeh some pretty bad pics ^^^ on this link .

Another thing you ( the Marinco guys on here , ie most of us ) is sniff the ends .
If you sniff burning then they need a strip and reconnect .Snip off new ends and redo .
As I said I open mine up once a yr routinely to check them .

Goes without saying disconnect both ends when doing anything inc sniff testing .

Hadenough

Visit site