What do live aboards do in winter?

laika

Visit site
It's just semantics really. If I live on board for six months of the year but have a house in UK am I not living?

It's not just semantics, it's a whole bunch of practicalities. Storage and a legal address (with all that follows on from that) being two of the most significant ones. The difference between spending three weeks aboard and six months aboard are (IMHO: YMMV) quantitive rather than qualitative.

That's obviously not to say that retirees who spend extended periods on their boats don't face many of the same issues as people who live on their boats permanently but things like having to work without a "real" address, having to do anything without a real address, avoiding your business suits going mouldy, lack of broadband when work expects it, storage, coping with damp in winter and finding yards that don't mind you living aboard ashore when you need to work on the boat just weren't issues when spending a month at a time cruising.

Obviously the med-summer-cruising retirees face their own problems (like what to do in the winter and/or remote management of their property portfolio) but I suggest that there are two groups with overlapping interests here. Three if you split off world-cruising liveaboards who're not stupid enough to stay in northern climes but presumably have additional legal and insurance issues.

Which is not to say that we need 3 separate forums :)

Iv never known such an awful winter for live aboards in the uk as his year !!!

Really? OK the wind particularly hasn't been nice but it's been the mildest winter I can remember. We've only had ice on the decks a handful of mornings and then it's only just dipped below freezing. None of those nights when it's too cold to use a keyboard

stranded

Visit site
Very wise words

Thanks chaps. If we do sell the house it will only be because a 400 year old listed building may not be the easiest to manage from a distance. In which case we would still aim to be in the UK property market, directly or indirectly, so that we are not burning that bridge. Daughter is happy to host our UK identity (and the physical us when necessary) so that we will remain technically resident here. Mark

rolfbudd

Visit site
We moved aboard our Moody 425 nearly 2 years ago, our first winter was in Spain, doing a job list that was way to long, we then cruised for 7 months, before getting lifted for 4 months in Greece to do another job list that was still to long and visit friends and family. We rented our house and find the hardest thing is going back and everyone wants to see you, come and stay, it's exhausting. There are liveaboards throughout the Med of all nationalities and one of the wonderful aspects of our lifestyle is meeting/making new friends. We have had a tough couple of winters as our boat purchase was a dog, but we are getting there and most importantly we are making her our home. If you are worried about being bored, don't be, there is always something to do or someone to talk to and one of the best bits is during the winter most of the anchoridges are very quiet so when you have had enough you can escape, Keeping a property in the uk is a bonus if you can manage it, we get a small income to help our cruising budget and it leaves the door open if we ever decide to go back. But the most important thing is to actually do it, years ago a sailing friend said to me that 'the UK is full of boats and skippers that next year are going to go somewhere'. Make next year now, live the dream while you can :)

nortada

Visit site
We moved aboard our Moody 425 nearly 2 years ago, our first winter was in Spain, doing a job list that was way to long, we then cruised for 7 months, before getting lifted for 4 months in Greece to do another job list that was still to long and visit friends and family. We rented our house and find the hardest thing is going back and everyone wants to see you, come and stay, it's exhausting. There are liveaboards throughout the Med of all nationalities and one of the wonderful aspects of our lifestyle is meeting/making new friends. We have had a tough couple of winters as our boat purchase was a dog, but we are getting there and most importantly we are making her our home. If you are worried about being bored, don't be, there is always something to do or someone to talk to and one of the best bits is during the winter most of the anchoridges are very quiet so when you have had enough you can escape, Keeping a property in the uk is a bonus if you can manage it, we get a small income to help our cruising budget and it leaves the door open if we ever decide to go back. But the most important thing is to actually do it, years ago a sailing friend said to me that 'the UK is full of boats and skippers that next year are going to go somewhere'. Make next year now, live the dream while you can :)

Agree - we have been 'cruising' since 2001.

stranded

Visit site

It will definitely happen, health permitting. Swmbo is as keen as me but wants to see only daughter settled in F1 doctoring post which is why we have postponed from this April to next. I argued a bit but don't really want to overturn maternal instincts. She may come to regret the delay though as I am occupying my time shopping for bits for the voyage and adding to the seemingly ever growing list of improvements by the yard. Going to be an expensive year methinks!

rolfbudd

Visit site
It never stops, life will always have a reason for you not to go. We both have elderly mothers who miss us, mine recently left an abusive marriage after 30 years at the age of 77, she now visits us as often as she can. But as she said 'only you can live your life, so go and do it'. As for the boat we could have spent years and thousands getting her ready and would never have been "ready". A sailing friend told me years ago "marinas are full of boats that next year are going to cross the chanel, go to the Med, cross the pond, etc. Always next year"
It is a huge leap into the unknown and it really does not suit some, I am very lucky, my other half stuck with me even after a trip to hell coming from the Azores and is still putting up with half a kitchen and a saloon in disarray, but tonight we sat on deck and watched the most amazing sunset, which put everything into perspective. We live an amazing lifestyle, it takes guts to leave, perseverance to keep going and understanding to put up with each other in a very small space 24/7. Oh and did I mention the amazing anchoridges, fantastic people, awesome places to explore and share :) life is amazing if you want it to be :) see you next year :) hopefully :-,

stranded

Visit site
It never stops, life will always have a reason for you not to go. We both have elderly mothers who miss us, mine recently left an abusive marriage after 30 years at the age of 77, she now visits us as often as she can. But as she said 'only you can live your life, so go and do it'. As for the boat we could have spent years and thousands getting her ready and would never have been "ready". A sailing friend told me years ago "marinas are full of boats that next year are going to cross the chanel, go to the Med, cross the pond, etc. Always next year"
It is a huge leap into the unknown and it really does not suit some, I am very lucky, my other half stuck with me even after a trip to hell coming from the Azores and is still putting up with half a kitchen and a saloon in disarray, but tonight we sat on deck and watched the most amazing sunset, which put everything into perspective. We live an amazing lifestyle, it takes guts to leave, perseverance to keep going and understanding to put up with each other in a very small space 24/7. Oh and did I mention the amazing anchoridges, fantastic people, awesome places to explore and share :) life is amazing if you want it to be :) see you next year :) hopefully :-,

If you are on our route, you will!!!