What dinghy

joeirish

Visit site
We want to get a sailing dinghy about 12 ft long. We want to use is as a tender but mainly to mess about with sails when we have done our day's cruising in our Rampart motor cruiser on the rivers and lakes in Ireland. We have seen two types that look like what we want, the Walker Tideway 12 and the Mallard (a type of Swallows and Amazons dinghy), also 12 foot long. We want something that is reasonable stable as we are new to sailing but that has some abililty to get a move on. We also want something that would give two people something to do when sailing. Preferably wood construction but we'd be happy with a sheathed fibreglass plywood clinker type of dinghy.

So, what wouild you recommend? And do you have one for sale?

<hr width=100% size=1>Joe Griffin

AlistairM

Visit site
I have an National 12 dinghy for sale (have upsized to a vivacity yacht). Comprises, 2 sets of sails, launching trailer, road trailer,cover.

It is currently stored ashore in Dorset England.

<hr width=100% size=1>

dickh

Visit site
A N12 would not very suitable as a stable sailing dinghy though!

<hr width=100% size=1>dickh
I'd rather be sailing... :) /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Robin

Visit site
Another option would be a Tinker inflatable sailing dinghy. These come in 4 flavours, the 9ft Tinker Tramp, the 12ft Tinker Traveller, a 10ft Tinker Funsail and a 9ft (I think) folding RIB. We had and have recently sold a 12ft Tinker Traveller which was really fun and sailed suprisingly well, it was just a tad too long to carry on our foredeck inflated without obscuring the anchor well, if we had davits I would have kept it as it is an excellent tender as well as fun sailing.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.inflatables.net/html/functions.htm>http://www.inflatables.net/html/functions.htm</A>

<hr width=100% size=1><font size=1>Sermons from my pulpit are with tongue firmly in cheek and come with no warranty!</font size=1>

snowleopard

Visit site
if by Walker you are referring to the plastic stem dinghy with sailing option, i think you will find its freeboard a bit low hence low carrying capacity and easy to capsize. a mirror would meet most of your needs and can be found v. chaeap. main drawback is the thin ply bottom, easily damaged. would advise agains any bermudian rigged boat unless mast is sectional.

major problem is that most wooden boats are older designs & tend to be heavy.

my researches show there is virtually nothing around that sails reasonably well and can be used as a tender, i've long thought about making my own.

<hr width=100% size=1>

joeirish

Visit site
No, I meant the Walker Tideway 12 or 14, clinker built but stopped making them in 1974 or thereabouts.

There does seem to be a trade off between lightness and stability I have found from my research. Question is what is 'too heavy'. I have been looking at some of the kits boats (pre-built by a professional because I wouldn't have the time, I want to go sailing) which are ply/epoxy composites. These seem quite strong and also light.

I'd also go for a simple rig, gaff, lugsail, gunter etc

On the tender point, I want something that can be rowed and sailed but which might take a small outboard.

Any views?

jhr

jamesrichardsonconsultants.co.uk
Was going to suggest some kind of Drascombe, which ticks many of your boxes, but I think that even the <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.drascombe.co.uk/scaffie.html>Scaffie</A> is 15ft, and therefore too big for you?

<hr width=100% size=1>Je suis Marxiste - tendance Groucho

andyorr

Visit site
A lot depends on your budget. I'm looking for a nice old fashioned type clinker boat (maybe to restore) but they are few and far between. Have a look on Dinghytrader.com. I found a couple of nice clinker boats but at over £2500!
I know they are a bit ubiquitous (sp?) but how about a Mirror dinghy? Had one once - fantastic fun, row, sail, outboard etc. A bit small but can be car topped. They are cheap too. A good one will only set you back £500 ish or less.
If anyone reading this has a restoreable clinker 12-14 footer sailing boat on a trailer can they email me on andyorr_52@yahoo.com?

Andy Orr
(Gloucestershire)

<hr width=100% size=1>

joeirish

Visit site
Yes, a bit too big and heavy. I've sailed one recently. Otherwise it might do the trick. So a wooden 14 ft version of a Scaffie?

Phoenix of Hamble

mishapsandmemories.blogspot.com
I'd have thought that a mirror would best suit your needs.... slightly less stable than some of the "swallows and amazons" style clinker built boats, but certainly good for a turn of speed, and has a few other attributes that would help eg, readily available, spares no problem, sensible weight, and a perfect family boat for learning to sail in...

<hr width=100% size=1>

Seal_surfer

Visit site
At just over 12 feet, the Cornish Cormorant is a traditional styled GRP boat with a cat rig (lug sail I think). She's very well built (heavy though) from the Shrimper/Crabber family - commands a fairly high price of ~£2K I think.

<hr width=100% size=1>

AndrewB

Visit site
Another design that definitely ticks these boxes is Ian Proctor's 11ft 'Gull'. No racer but a proper sailing dinghy able to look after itself in waves, large enough for two adults to sail in comfort. There are still a good many around, price about £500 for one in acceptable condition. A modern GRP version, the <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.aavx76.dial.pipex.com/gull.htm>Gull Spirit</A> is also available.

nwclegg

Visit site
I have a Walker Bay and agree about the freeboard but the RID attachment overcomes that. I use it as a tender as well but mine is the 8. I learned to sail in a Mirror and think they are wonderful but their buoyancy tanks are so big that the load capacity for adults is very low when used as a tender. My choice would depend on that question. If load is an issue go for the Walker Bay RID (not nec. weight but bulk). If it isn't then go for the mirror.

<hr width=100% size=1>

PBrooks

Visit site
I've got a Gull. For sale actually. Wood and pretty nice condition. I've not managed to capsize it and it'll take an outboard. So pretty stable and suitable as a tender, I think. Not superfast I have to say, but quite rewarding to sail and more seaworthy than a Mirror (in my opinion) as it has more freeboard / greater sheer. £195 (located SW of London) . Please send me a PM or whatever if you're interested.

If you've got more money to spend, the newer, fiberglass Gulls by Anglia Marine (Gull Spirit) are supposed to be very good
Good luck with your search.
Paul

<hr width=100% size=1>

richardgooderick

Visit site
I too have been looking for a tender to provide exercise and fun and this is the best design that I've come across so far:
http://www.iotadesign.freeserve.co.uk/html/sail_-_chapelle.htm

In particular I want a tender that will row easily out to the mooring and around the harbour and something that friends and family can sail too at anchor/beach/bbq etc. I'd prefer not to have to bother with the outboard.

I've only just come across the Iota and have contacted the designer. A grp version should be available but apparently the mould has been damaged/contaminated and could be very difficult to fix.

If anyone else is interested in this design please get in touch. I'd want to try the boat out first but I am interested in getting one. It might be cheaper to commission more than one.

Please email me at richardgooderick@hotmail.com

<hr width=100% size=1>