What did you enjoy throwing away?

doug748

Visit site
I have just lobbed my masthead LED array into the skip. I enjoyed it so much I considered taking it out and doing it again. Useless thing, I have spent more time up my mast than I have with the family.

What boaty item has given you joy to fire into the bin?

KevinV

Visit site
An extendable boat hook that always extended when you tried to pull anything and then refused to go back in. I took great pleasure in breaking it over my knee to save a skip diver years (more) grief.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
A rusted plastic gas cooker and a Jabsco bog that defies description. The then owner of the yacht and bog on showing me around not having been on board his yacht for quite some time said on peering into the heads and bog " good lord it looks like a seagull has shat in that" I still bought the boat and enjoyed heaving the bog over the side where it broke into many pieces.

capnsensible

Visit site
A rusted plastic gas cooker and a Jabsco bog that defies description. The then owner of the yacht and bog on showing me around not having been on board his yacht for quite some time said on peering into the heads and bog " good lord it looks like a seagull has shat in that" I still bought the boat and enjoyed heaving the bog over the side where it broke into many pieces.
Head. :rolleyes::)

capnsensible

Visit site
Where to start. Mmm.

We left the UK in 99 with a couple of bikes on board. Poor choice. Left them unlocked near a school in Gib. Bye. :)

Came back from our first Carib cruise a couple of years later having had a dinghy on davits on the stern. Binned the davits. PITA coz dinghy gets filled with rain or following sea. Pants.

Eberspacher. After 10 years aboard....pointless. offski.

Was forever having a routine clear out of cockpit locker and from day 1 aboard had a heavy and completely useless fisherman anchor. Got rid of it probably around fifteen years after I should have done.,

We had a routine of mebbe once a year going through the yacht from bow to stern. Every locker, nook and cranny. If it was never used, expired, useless or whatever....be ruthless. 22 years aboard gives you a different outlook.

A clean ship is a happy ship. 😀

jdc

Visit site
+1 on the fisherman's. I bought it when first sailing to the west coast Scotland since all the pilot books blathered on about how vital it was to have one. I never used it. All 60lbs of it's still in the shed somewhere under the firewood; 50k miles and one careful owner... Anyone tempted?

johnalison

Visit site
+1 on the fisherman's. I bought it when first sailing to the west coast Scotland since all the pilot books blathered on about how vital it was to have one. I never used it. All 60lbs of it's still in the shed somewhere under the firewood; 50k miles and one careful owner... Anyone tempted?
Much sought after as garden ornaments I’m told. Start at £500 on EBay.

Daydream believer

Visit site
Letter telling me to fill in silly form for jury service.
I am 77 so do not have to serve. So I wrote "Over 77"- Then "irellevant" across the rest of it & returned. I then got a letter complaining that I had not filled in the form. & threatening me with a fine. It was some time before someone decided that I did not have to serve & I could chuck the whole lot in the bin & not fill in the pointless form for some jobs worth with nothing better to do

jlavery

Visit site
The two wooden poles which were carefully stowed in Arpeggio's aft cabin (with special hooks and ties to hold them in place).

After a few months we asked the previous owner what they were for.

"No idea, they were on the boat when I bought it". He had the boat for 12 years!

No longer on the boat.

Oh, and the large quantity of obsolete wiring which wasn't connecting anything.

westhinder

Visit site
Keep it there, don’t chuck it overboard in an anchorage where it will foul someone else’s anchor. That’s what happened to me in the Kettle in the Farne Islands. Not funny when you’re sailing solo and the wind is pushing you towards the rocks.

Tradewinds

www.laurelberrystudio.com
Fischer Panda 4 genset. Bought new in GB for many £k. Given away for £pennies in NZ to a mechanic friend. After spending multiple £s and countless hours in exotic places, waiting for parts/ ‘fixing’ it. I was glad to see the back of it. It was like having a boil lanced - good riddance. Cruising life became instantly more enjoyable (& simple). BTW I wasn’t the only one suffering from FP woes.

Edit. They are only fit for being an anchor weight.