What about this..........

Nautical

www.outerreefyachts.com
One of the nice things being in the biz is you get sent heaps of stuff (some very naff stuff too) that is in development from around the world, things you normally would never hear about.

Colleague from afar sent me this today with a brief outline, about to launched in May. She is 48 ' apparently a nice hull, full deep V jobbie 18 degrees at the stern and a nice fine entry up at the pointy bit. Vacum infused vynilester resin hull and sandwich core construction of not only the hull but the internal joinery which saves a heap of weight so all up she only weighs 12.5 tons which in turn means with twin 315 hp engines she can crack 32 knts. Twin good sized cabins both ensuite, reasonably big fully enclosed saloon and even a tender garage under the cockpit floor.

Before I get lambasted, its nothing to do with me just interested to see what others think. Personally I quite like it and running costs should be considerably less than similar sized boats available at the mo. Nice retro look so won't date and yard seem very polished so quality should be bob on.

Could it be the antidote to all all those samey boats around?.

something48.jpg

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Yeah, I like the look of that, particularly the sheer of the deck line. It looks a bit like the Mochi Dolphin series which has been a huge success so there should be a market for it. Obviously its going to depend on build quality, layout etc and price but I'd say there's definitely a growing market for modern retro look boats that don't look like yer typical gin palace. Needs a bathing platform though
I should pick up the distributorship sharpish if I were you /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Nautical

www.outerreefyachts.com
Hmmm, think you might be right, if my conversion rate is correct it should retail for around £285k which is bloomin cheap for a near 50 footer with twin diesels. As you say though would depend on finsh and quality but I have seen a smaller boat from this yard and it looked bob on to me.

Has a look of french fishy style thing ala benny antares but posher, mixed with a bit of Mochi and Riva (the windows in the hull), looks a very practical boat and certainly you could look at it in ten years from now and find it hard to date.

Here's one of their smaller ones a 34 with single D4 260, FX conversion would suggest around £100K

something34.jpg

Think they are in the throws of appointing a euro distributor again nowt to do with me but best of luck to them, whether they can get past the unknown brand is another issue. Stumps me why people will pay way over the odds for a brand name that is no better in performance or quality and in some cases worse than newer designs and newer technology, suppose its all to do with aspiration and hey look at me and probably a bit of herd mentality.

Talking out of turn here but if it is the brand mentaility and wanting to seen in something eye catching and cause attention, heck, imagine rocking up in the 48, you'd be Mr big, no one would be arsed to look at Mr SunLine flybridge even if he did pay twice as much.

Nautical

www.outerreefyachts.com
Take your point but lets say a similar sized flybridge or even the Mochi 44 costs around £550k, you can afford to take double the depreciation of the fly or Mochi and still be no worse off only your initial outlay was half the dosh so factor in the finance cost as well and you can still loose even more and be no worse off.

On the point of depreciation, to be honest the hype that some of the big builders have about how little depreciation they suffer is cobblers, I've seen one and two year old fly's and opens from the majors take an eye watering hit but its often covered up by a good trade in value against the full retail of the new one which when you add in the extras which in some cases is nearly everything at an inflated price the new price goes ballistic. There is one yard that charge £7500 for a bow thruster on a mid 40 footer and I can hand on heart tell you the actual cost to them is around £2500 fitted, so its easy to offer big money on the trade in cus you have so much built in to the new price.

BrendanS

Visit site
you can't take the depreciation hit, if the price is your limit in the first place. So you go for a cheaper boat, and it sinks 75% in first year. How are you better off than buying a twice as expensive boat you can't afford that loses 5% in first year?

Nautical

www.outerreefyachts.com
ah if it were that simple, the reality is no big boat dispite the brand name only looses 5%, the average on bigger boats bar one or two is 10% - 15% and some reported as having good residuals up to 20%, an unknown but well built and value for money might loose tops 35% but of course you start off from a much cheaper starting price.

If the 48 above lost 75% in reality its worth less than an insurance write off assuming the engines are still bob on which doesn't figure. age old story, if its good quality looks good and does what it says on the tin then at half the money there will always be buyers.

On maximum budget terms if you can only stretch to £300k well why not have a boat twice as big, just as well finished and built than a smaller one from a brand name at the same money.

Nautical

www.outerreefyachts.com
Assuming the price is right, the condition etc your probably right to a degree, personally I rather be a bit different and paddle my own canoe and if I buy right and the product stacks up I have no problem if no shiney badge.

BrendanS

Visit site
To take a car scenario, many peope will buy an Octavia with no problems, knowing they are buying an exellent car, but others would rather have a BMW or Merc Badge and scoff at a Skoda

Nautical

www.outerreefyachts.com
True but the depreciation element is not a factor.

People often take the car industry as an example which is a false idiology. With cars there is a measureable difference between a Range Rover and say a Land Cruiser, the Rangey is a better car, it rides better, is very sumptuous inside and king of them all off road so you can determine for yourself taking the brand image out of the equation where the extra money goes. With many boats its different, the differnce in price is often taken up in nothing more than the brand image.

The 48 above if other models in the range are to be a guide is just as well built, 70% of the components are identical, it handles just as well and in fact is cheaper to run and built using superior technology so all that is left is a herd mentality towards the buying the one with the badge. Obviously there are measurable differences between certains brands a bayliner in never going to be a Windy but for those that are prepared to think with their head and do a bit of detective work for every top dollar brand name model out there there is an equivelant less visable brand that is just as good or even better at an awful lot less money.

BrendanS

Visit site
agree with much of what you are saying, but to ignore depreciation factor is unwise.

Likewise, comparing landcruiser to rangerover. land cruiser is much better on some terrains than rangerover, and more reliable

Nautical

www.outerreefyachts.com
Agree with more reliable, had one of those, pile of pooh reliabilty wise so my comparison is a bit off but you get the drift.

Still if you hunt out the right yard you can have a boat as good or in many cases a lot better than the norm and still be quids in on price and depreciation. Put it another way, you could buy a certain 45 sports cruiser which is the dogs doofers in handling. looks and build and still have change for a new Aston Martin Vantage as well against certain other 45/46/47 footers.

There.... knew I'd get that in there somewhere on this thread /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif