Wells is being dredged...

alexrunic

Visit site
Yes but you do know why, don't you. It's not for the benefit of the likes of you and me. It's because the place is going to be used for a windfarm construction base.
See this:
http://www.maritimejournal.com/arch...redging/dredging_gives_wells_wind_farm_access

yeah it is but least we will be able to get in an anchor in flat water to wait for the tide up to the quay no more sea sick crew or skipper!! Or you could use your tender and get the train to the town. plus I think it will reduce the size of the breakers on a northerly.

I don't care who it's for or who is paying the bill we will all benefit from it. Also the wind farm's planned for the greater wash should not affect sailing so it's a win win situation.

Cantata

Visit site
Sure the spin-off will be great. I don't know Wells at all, I just hope its use as a windfarm base doesn't spoil the place. Ramsgate is a similar base, there's a lot of activity with great barges coming in and out, and big areas of the shore piled with huge lumps of metal and machinery.

Phoenix of Hamble

mishapsandmemories.blogspot.com
At Wells, the commercial ops planned for the windfarm are a decent distance from the main harbour area (perhaps as much as a mile), so shouldn't have a significant impact on a harbour that is truly lovely.... this weekend we reaffirmed our enthusiasm to visit by boat at some point after a lovely walk there in the autumn sunshine

bastonjock

Visit site
i was talking to bob in the chandlers,he told me that there are going to put in 5 new wind farms just off of wells,the exsisting one at skeggy will double in size.The Albatross is going to be moved to allow the key to be used for heavy lifts.

Talking to guys who use Wells,the general opinion is that mooring fees will rocket once its 24/7 access.

The other marina news is that they are going to build a load of pontoons at Sutton Bridge,thus cutting out the need to wait for bridge opennings,it will be classed as an extension of Wisbech yacht harbour.

alexrunic

Visit site
if they go ahead with all these marinas and extensions the wash could be come busy and spoilt.

I'm sure they won't get away with charging any more at wells its already £15 ish a night for a 22 ft yacht, which is about the maximum with in a couple of quid you pay any where north of lowesoft. if they go get gready then anchor and tender ashore think its only £5 a night. I was all in favor of this dredging until you mentioned the prices.

bastonjock

Visit site
last year it was free to anchor,this year they have a waiting list for pontoons.The new extension to Wisbech marina has got the Go-ahead,it should be in place over the next two years.

I think that the small ports of the nene and ouze have realised that commercial shipping is dwindling to nothing,so to keep the rivers working they are turning their attention to the Yottie brigade.The new facilities at wisbech are quite impressive and cheap compaired to those further south.

The whole thing also opens up the Sailing options,i can get out of wisbech and go for a sail to the Norfolk ports,i estimate that on neeps i can do wells in one tide.

MrCramp

Visit site
Post deleted as the picture of the pontoons being dredged has moved on. The dredger was actually dredgeing each side of the long pontoon.

Last edited: