Waterbuoy

Would you consider buying a new Trader from Tarquin at Emsworth?

• Total voters

Gludy

www.sailingvideos4us.com
So when i point out incorrect claims on a product based upon sound, simple, basic physics I am in thw wrong for being too fussy?
Maybe some prefer to be left in the world of beleiving illusions? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Gludy

www.sailingvideos4us.com
I have to agree with that - the vast majority would not be bothered to do so in order to prove some simple physics to those who were not accepting them.
Then most people would not be bothered about the misleading demo in the first place and would be content to leave the public being fooled into thinking something that was not true.

I really do not take this matter in other than a ligh hearted way ....... just missing a boat! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

cortez

Visit site
I suppose this might be a little bit off the discussion but here goes.
If you had a fish tank weighing 200 lbs, and then added a fish weighing 25lbs,would the tank weigh 225lbs,keeping in mind the fish is floating.

Gludy

www.sailingvideos4us.com
[ QUOTE ]
I suppose this might be a little bit off the discussion but here goes.
If you had a fish tank weighing 200 lbs, and then added a fish weighing 25lbs,would the tank weigh 225lbs,keeping in mind the fish is floating.

[/ QUOTE ]
A fish is about the same demsity as water - its basically near enough weightless in water.
So when you add the fish to the water the water rises by the volume of the fish = the fish is weightless BUT the whole lot increases in weight to 225lbs. You might just as well have added 25 lbs of water!
Please .... please nobody disagree with that.

Here is a question - I have my boat in a lake and it has half filled with water. I switch on my bilge pumps and pump all the water out - does the water in the lake rise or fall? Archi has the answer - just intersetd to see how his principles are appled after this long physics lesson /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sundays_Child

Visit site
It stays the same?

What a fun thread! Gludy, you're so patient. My head would have exlploded about half way down!

gjgm: Eureka! hahaha. Excellent.

andyball

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I have my boat in a lake and it has half filled with water.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hydraulic oil, surely? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Gludy

www.sailingvideos4us.com
Yes of course in the rest of the world it stays the same but in Devon it continues to rise no matter what you take out or put in /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

If the boat was a Trader then yes Andy you would be pumping hydraulic oil instead of water - the water would be kept to used within the hydraulic system. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

As for giving in ..... I do not know how to do that as Trader found out. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I think there is a direct correlation between my typos and my frustration.

Many in the fishing world do not understand that when they catch a 10 lbs trout in water it weighs the same as a 1lb trout but just has more swimming power. Most fly fishing rods cannot lift an 8 oz weight of the floor but they can bring in a 20 lbs fish- when the fish needs to be lifted from the water they use a landing net. This is the same thing, the rod only has to deal with a very reduced pulling power because the fish is in water just as the water buoy has to only deal with the negative buoyancy of an object nots its weight in air.

In practice the other factors that change the required pulling power are the shape of the object, the current in the water, the stickiness of the bottom, the depth at which the waterbuoy triggers, the negative buoyancy of waterbuoy itself etc.,These factors mean that it is probable that about 50% more pulling power is required than that calculated by the negative buoyancy of object being lifted.

I only hope that the thread has prevented the myth being repeated in the boating press but I am sure that the hook will be swallowed in other press and the impression given that the device can lift a kilo of anything. In fact in their opening presentation on the Waterbuoy site it states it can lift a kilo without any qualification.

thefatlady

Visit site
Just come upon this thread and I am staggered by the lengths you had to go to to present this most basic of concepts.

What this thread does do is to lower still further my already low opinion of the business people in the Dragon's Den.

Gludy

www.sailingvideos4us.com
I have to make business judgements from time to time not dissimilar to those in Dragons den. In fact my son, who is a more successful businessman than I, recently gave a talk about business alongside Duncan from Dragons Den.

Maybe its edited out but I do not see basic questions being ask,
For example nobody asked Waterbouy how much they sell for. Nobody really probed how exclusive they were. Having taken out dozens of patents myself I find it interesting that the Waterbouy site claims lots of patents but does not list or detail one patent number. Patents pending are of course not the same. Certainly the product itself with a balloon filled by gas, triggered by water is not new – there are products on the market that do just that.

In this case having just watched the demo again
Click for Video Here I am still amazed at how they got away with such a large kilo weight and flew in the face of old Archimedes. The balloon took a long time to react – some ten seconds by which time the depth would have increased the pressure a fair amount causing even more problems.
My view of the business is that at £13 the item is too expensive.
The item will probably work fine with keys etc but needs to modify its claims about being used to life heavy items – he even claims it can be extended to trigger life jackets and even lift boats!
The item could be successful but only if the price is sub a fiver and even then it will always be a small business.
Put alongside the USA product for £3.50, whilst it sells for £13 and actually giving the true lifting capacity would mean that, as it stands, it is basically a non-starter,

thefatlady

Visit site
I've just watched most of the video. My impressions?

James Whatsisname is a conman.

The Dragons are arrogant, self-opinionated and lacking in any ability to assess the product itself. I may be wrong, but I seem to recall that none of them has ever created anything - they've made money from marketing entertainment and other people's already proven products (mobile phones, etc.). Didn't one of them go heavily bust - Red Letter Days? Not knocking the making money bit, but that alone doesn't qualify them to judge business propositions.

Having said that, this programme is designed as entertainment and I find it difficult to believe that anyone would commit to invest on the basis of that charade. If there was not a lot of off-stage rehearsal and investigation, then these guys are nuts.

Gludy

www.sailingvideos4us.com
I like the way it is claimed that he drops the 1 kilo weight in slow so that he does not crack the tank. Had it been dropped in fast, it would have slowed down anyway and maybe become more obvious that it was a low density block with a lot of lift.

In year 3 he reckons on £3.7m sales at say £5 trade (retail £13 inc VAT) that equates to selling 740,000 units per annum!

Sundays_Child

Visit site
A total con.

Agree... few keys, fine, Anything more, no chance.

I'd love to strap my waterproof Canon bins to it (less than 1kg, lots of air in them) and video it.

By year 3 the product's reputation would be in tatters based on real-life experiences.

No way I'd invest a penny.

And yes, small business at best.

Take5

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Didn't one of them go heavily bust - Red Letter Days?

[/ QUOTE ]

It did go under but it was rescued by Theo Paphitis and Peter Jones of the Dragons Den.

The lady who started it originally was indeed a Dragon in a past series. Her name was Rachel Elnaugh.

Meem513

Visit site
Since the point is indeed - easier retrieval of keys dropped in the water, I would use yet another floating item on my KC along w/ the waterbuoy to contract any & truth in adverts and "math issues"...

Attaching keys to a belt loop, pocket with a clip works as well.
http://www.promogiftsuk.co.uk/products/keychains-and-fobs/karabiners

Believe nothing of what you hear, and only half of what you see ~ E. A. Poe