Waterbuoy

Would you consider buying a new Trader from Tarquin at Emsworth?

• Total voters

jimg

Visit site
Re: Good idea, BUT!

Well I was given one for Christmas!
But has any one tried it yet?
/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

TonyJones

Visit site

Great thread!

A question for Gludy: Let's suppose the 'balloon' is effectively unburstable and the gas inflates it to 100psi. (Not realistic I know, but bear with me.) Presumably the balloon would not compress and therefore lose buoyancy until a quite considerable depth. At what depth would the water pressure exerted on the balloon exceed 100psi and start to compress it?

Best wishes
Tony Jones

jfm

Visit site

Your presumption (that the balloon has to be very deep before it is compressed) is correct if the balloon is made from a fabric skin that is more or less inelastic, so it inflates to the football-sized volume then no more even when pumped up to 100psi. But that is utterly unrealistic, so where are you going with the analysis? :)

The answer to "At what depth would the water pressure exerted on the balloon exceed 100psi and start to compress it?" is about 70m. Very roughly, you get 15psi per 10m of depth

TonyJones

Visit site

Gludy
If you are still following this, would you agree that the question of buoyancy of the lifted object - but not that of the solid elements of the Waterbuoy - can be eliminated by using a spring balance attached to the bottom? The reading would then indicate the amount of upthrust that the device was capable of, which IMHO is the important thing.
Comments?