Watchet - A hypothetical question

PCUK

Visit site
Let's assume it will cost half a million to dredge the marina and entrance area in the harbour and set up a proper maintenance dredging programme with appropriate equipment. Once the marina had been cleared to bedrock, would you be prepared to pay £10,000 in advance for ten years mooring? It would only take 50 of us to raise the half million. Now whether the marina could weather this drop in revenue for the 50 "investors" and manage on the revenue from the many boats that would return to the marina I don't know. I just wondered how many would be prepared to be "investors" for the next ten years?

NotBirdseye

Visit site
So a potential doubling in price of the current cost of the marina? (For the average 10m yacht)?

Cost is allegedly 46.50 per metre per annum. https://www.somersetwestandtaunton.gov.uk/harbours/harbour-fees/ (46.50*10 = £465.00). A doubling in price would make me look elsewhere. At the moment if the cost is £500,000 then they've got themselves a business on the verge of declaring bankruptcy. Which is probably their current conundrum, they need to raise more cash to support an ongoing program but the consumers aren't interested.

Last edited:

SteveSarabande

Visit site
I did look at them doubtfully myself but could not find anything else online. Maybe they make their money from 'visitors' rather than long term moorings?
Maybe they are just the harbour authority fees, the marina is extra. Minehead and watchet can’t be the same cost.

The marina website doesnt give fees

ribdriver

Visit site
Think you will find those fees mentioned above are for use of the outer harbour areas, and more aimed at Minehead than Watchet - annual berths at the latter always referred back to the marina.

Watchet fees always used to be comparable or v slightly less than the surrounding marinas - not sure on the status now though.
For example Penarth is currently £334.75/m

PCUK

Visit site
So a potential doubling in price of the current cost of the marina? (For the average 10m yacht)?

Cost is allegedly 46.50 per metre per annum. https://www.somersetwestandtaunton.gov.uk/harbours/harbour-fees/ (46.50*10 = £465.00). A doubling in price would make me look elsewhere. At the moment if the cost is £500,000 then they've got themselves a business on the verge of declaring bankruptcy. Which is probably their current conundrum, they need to raise more cash to support an ongoing program but the consumers aren't interested.

10 years at a thousand a year is about half the current rate!

NotBirdseye

Visit site
10 years at a thousand a year is about half the current rate!

They'd be bankrupt pretty quickly then, so that's not going to happen.

That said, where's your source :p. (I absolutely believe you, I just want to find out what the figures are for myself as I want to plug them into my calculations).

[176470]

Visit site
Dredging Watchet is in our view entirely straight forward and economically sustainable and can be tailored into a business plan in which mooring fees need not increase. We are dredging all around the UK and for similar marinas. We have requested meetings with Watchet stakeholders.

[176470]

Visit site
We do not think dredging and maintaining Watchet Marina is challenging and we are certain that this can be achieved in a manner without burdening the business plan or marina rates. We have resolved similar challenges throughout the UK.

NotBirdseye

Visit site
We do not think dredging and maintaining Watchet Marina is challenging and we are certain that this can be achieved in a manner without burdening the business plan or marina rates. We have resolved similar challenges throughout the UK.

Ah hah. A provider. Can you tell us whether the half a million is anywhere near the range we should be looking at? At the moment it doesn't seem affordable.

[176470]

Visit site
Half a million is massively more than would be required. However this should be looked at in the context of an annual or Bi-annual maintenance programme tailored in support of the marina's business plan and ongoing financial health.

I should not really say more as at the end of the day we are not stakeholders in Watchet and it is up to council and owners to make their own decisions.

NotBirdseye

Visit site
Half a million is massively more than would be required. However this should be looked at in the context of an annual or Bi-annual maintenance programme tailored in support of the marina's business plan and ongoing financial health.

I should not really say more as at the end of the day we are not stakeholders in Watchet and it is up to council and owners to make their own decisions.

No worries, that was just the answer I was looking for XD.

vodzurk

www.youtube.com
Apologies for derailing this thread (I'll shuffle off quickish after a reply :)), I've asked before without any answers, and suspect it might be a silly question, regarding a method of de-silting Watchet.

Could sprinklers be used around the marina wall for an hour at low water (or most optimal time of the ebb - like when there's 1 inch over the cil)? My thinking is that this would evacuate some of the silt. Even if it's only a millimeter per tide, would keeping at it eventually reduce levels to something acceptable?

If this isn't enough, could pressure washers on a timer be rigged in the main through-ways? Over time, if there was a lower level of silt in the corridors, I'd assume the silt at the berths would also drop?

Graham_Wright

www.mastaclimba.com
Dredging Watchet is in our view entirely straight forward and economically sustainable and can be tailored into a business plan in which mooring fees need not increase. We are dredging all around the UK and for similar marinas. We have requested meetings with Watchet stakeholders.

Would you think the same might apply to Lydney? At high river levels, there is a huge quantity of energy wasted over the weir, over the gates and through the sluices.

The drain through the tunnel sluice has carved a significant channel through the basin mud and that is only open infrequently.