Watch out speeders!

st599

Visit site
They just have to sit near all the rowing clubs as the coaching boats break the limit all the time and also create most of the wash.

Nice little earner for them! :LOL:
They wouldn't earn anything. The Thames Byelaws have a specific speed limit exemption for:
  • power-driven vessels directly engaged in the training coaching or umpiring of vessels powered by oar or by sail
The club has to register for an exemption pennant for each boat.

Parabordi

Visit site
They wouldn't earn anything. The Thames Byelaws have a specific speed limit exemption for:
  • power-driven vessels directly engaged in the training coaching or umpiring of vessels powered by oar or by sail
The club has to register for an exemption pennant for each boat.
except most of them blat about even when they are NOT engaged in training.

DogsBody

Visit site
While I agree with the OP's sentiment that perhaps the EA should be putting their resources where they would be more useful, judging by the last time we were out on the river, boats speeding now appears to the norm, rather than the exception, so good to see the EA attempting to do something about it.

KevinV

Visit site
I'd always assumed that speed limits on rivers were largely about reducing wake (inconvenience to other users + bank erosion), so I'm surprised that SOG is the definition, not STW. Learn something new every day.

DogsBody

Visit site
I'd always assumed that speed limits on rivers were largely about reducing wake (inconvenience to other users + bank erosion), so I'm surprised that SOG is the definition, not STW. Learn something new every day.
I'd always assumed it was just because SOG is easier to measure accurately, though it does mean in winter flows, you could potentially get done for speeding just drifting downstream with the flow!

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
If the River was flowing that fast then you should either be moored up or if it is an essential downstream passage there is an argument for pointing the boat upstream and allowing it to go backwards while retaining steering control. Much easier to get out of trouble like that.

5 knots would be rather swift for the River.

oldgit

Visit site
Some might suggest that the worst culprits tend not to be large boats or rowing coxes but smallish boats usually in a hurry , invariably powered by outboards and apparently desperate to get back to a marina before dark .
Why they should always choose to go home by way of Lady Lyndsies when we have managed to find a rare space among The NBs and livaboards is a total mystery. !
Looking forward to coming round in August and always regard the EA license fee as great value for the facilities on offer.
Have of course been preparing by sourcing extra fenders and practising the inappropiate and sometimes totally pointless use of the bowthruster.

Last edited: