Was this you?

ebbtide

N/A
Visit site
Saturday afternoon, the wind eased right down so I'm using the outboard on my Hunter Europa, 20 foot of maritime splendour, heading up to the Fambridge Yacht Haven for an overnight.

In Easter Reach, at about 1530 hours, I am making about 5 knots over the ground with the tide. Coming towards me on my starboard side I see the Crouch Commissioners craft the "WATCHET" heading downstream at about the same speed, all comfortable.

Next thing, two large motor boats (more than 25 foot ? guesstimate) come hurtling down the river racing each other at more than 20 knots, well up on the plane with the first quarter of theirs bottoms showing clear of the water. A huge wash trailing behind.

Both passed at about ten metres away. My boat was thrown in the air and a large amount of water was washed into the accommodation through the open main (and sole) hatchway. I was nearly thrown out of the cockpit. The "WATCHET" seemed to be as badly affected yet no radio calls or apparent follow ups.

I complained at the marina and was told that the speed limit, supposed to be 8 knots, did not appear to be enforced and speeding motor boats were a problem. Whilst we were talking yet another motor boat passed the place at speed generating excessive wash and making the yachts on the outer side of the visitors pontoon bounce around.

Result, one less place to visit. Lost revenue to the marina and by extension to the Crouch Commissioners.

DAKA

Visit site
Oh yes , in my youth I have raced on the broads, on canals, chichester,the medina, the seine, Monkika Meer ..........

Obviously now I am older and more knowledgeable I would not do it but there is always a new generation who possibly dont even look in here so it is always best advice to be 'sea worthy' before you cast off.

The problem is when you look astern you do not see any wash and mistakenly believe you make less wash the faster you go.
Especially when I have returned from the pub in the dark you just have no conception of the carnage you leave in your wake.

Its a good idea to post here for any newbies reading, while on the subject may as well mention that you should not smoke, drink over 2 units a day and you need to put a little by each month for your retirement

/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

jfm

Visit site
If you want equity perhaps better wash yr hands first?

Well, I don't approve of such behaviour. But racking my brains for an explanation the following possibility came to mind. Might the mobo drivers be some of the many people you've been rude to and not apologised to? Just a thought Malaprop.

nonitoo

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

Especially when I have returned from the pub in the dark you just have no conception of the carnage you leave in your wake.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree and usually it has little to do with boating !!! ;-)

Tom

alt

Visit site
Jeez if the wash off a 23ft'ish boat gets water in your cabin I wouldn't like to be out on your boat if a wind picked up

BoyBlue49

Visit site
Can't help feeling you are wasting your time here Malaprop, the above postings are what one would expect from igernt mobos ------ I'm alright Jack mentality.
It would scare the s..t out of them if you took them for a sail in a F7, but they are happy to blow you out of the water.
It's a bit like the 4x4 brigade who think they own the road.

B175Chris

Visit site
And what would you have the above posters do instead? Travel back in time to Malaprop's situation and give the boaters a slap on the wrist?

Anyone who regularly reads here knows the dangers of throwing up too much wash near a raggie, don't bunch us all into the same category, THAT is ignorant.

Elessar

Visit site
The really funny thing is sailing really relaxes me and chills me out. I love my mobo but there is nothing quite like the moment when you turn the donk off in a sailing boat in a decent breeze, it makes everthing seem right in the world.
So why are so many of you so grumpy, what are you missing? Perhaps I can teach you to sail one day as if I get the point I must be rather better at it than you.

jfm

Visit site
Yup, it would scare the [--word removed--] out of me if Malaprop took me for a sail in a F7, but it wouldn't be the wind strength that I was scared of. :)

You are right that Malaprop is wasting his time here but Malaprop's lack of sympathy stems from his frequent and substantial rudeness in many of his posts on here. So if there is any tribalism going on it's not mobo versus sailboat, it's the (large) polite tribe versus the (very small) rude tribe, spiced up by some schadenfreude at Malaprop of all people getting drenched. Snigger.

By the way BoyBlue, Malaprop will be annoyed at your post. He sent me a PM me today in which he stood by and defended his criticism of and attitude towards posters who make spelling errors in their posts. Most of us around here don't mind about spelling and tpyos, and we all type in a hurry so we misspell words that we actually can spell. But Malaprop is critical of those who misspell, and reiterated that to me today in a PM. Now, I can't help noticing there was a spelling error in your post above. That's perfectly fine imho, but Malaprop will be displeased with/at you.

epervier

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Can't help feeling you are wasting your time here Malaprop, the above postings are what one would expect from igernt mobos --

[/ QUOTE ]

it may help your cause if you could press the spell check button, and put forward a correctly spelt point of view, plus you're making the (wrong) assumption that all motor boat owners have the same aims, to sink yachties, it really pisses me off when people like you present yourselves as the waterborne police, judge, jury and find guilty all motor boat owners/users, because a small percent of our community misbehave, and all yachties are like the pure driven snow, my arse.

just for your information,

Ignorant,

"The condition of being ignorant; the want of knowledge in general, or in relation to a particular subject; the state of being uneducated or uninformed."

Whitelighter

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
It would scare the s..t out of them if you took them for a sail in a F7, but they are happy to blow you out of the water.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ooh goody, Im looking forward to that. When can we go? Let me know the marina and pontoon number and I will be there. Fancy a gentle sail.

[ QUOTE ]
It's a bit like the 4x4 brigade who think they own the road.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, got one of those too. Hope that doesnt exclude one....

Elessar

Visit site
I've just realised we're all missing the point. Look at his last paragraph.

So if we all pass close by Malaprop's cockpit at flank speed, he crosses our bit of the world of his "to go to" list.

See where I'm going here. Perhaps we can get some stickers made, bit like the fighter pilots had with a line through.

And we're really being kind to him as he likes grizzling more than he likes sailing, think of all the extra moaning he can do without even having to try very hard. Win win I think.

jfm

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I've just realised we're all missing the point. Look at his last paragraph.

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed. It was a "result", for Fambridge marina. He talks of lost revenue: I'd pay, never mind forego revenue, not to have Malaprop's behaviour in my town.

BrendanS

Visit site
I'm not sure what his agenda is. I like you would pay him not to be anywhere I am.

After completely spoiling the Cherbourg meet for many (even managing to rile Tome, who had the patience of a saint), he started pm'ing me on how to manage the Mercury Meet. Luckily he's not attending, or I'd have had to bar him from the event.

strakeryrius

chasing some sunshine - or a cold beer - or both
Visit site
His posts are definitely those of a grumpy old git in style - not sure that he has an agenda - just likes picking holes in what everyone else is doing.

And of course when this all happened I am sure that he was strictly observing the rules over flying a motoring cone? I sure that as a whiter-than-white raggie he wouldn't be letting that slip - that never happens. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif However, If not how could he justify criticising others for failing to abide by the rules, and then not do so himself.

BoyBlue49

Visit site
I should have realised my post would be over some of your heads.
A sense of hoomer helps

/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

jfm

Visit site
Ooh perleese. You make an opinionated post, many disagree and find holes in your argument, then rather than climb down you adopt the poor loser tactic of *claiming*you were being humorous and it went over other people's heads. Fact is, there was no humour in your post. It isn't humour if yours is the only head over which it doesn't go.