Was this you?

BoyBlue49

Visit site
I have just seen our friend's post on the East Coast forum under a different name, same story though, of which I was igrnt.
But I still think you mobos lack a certain sense of humour.
/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

jfm

Visit site

FullCircle

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I have just seen our friend's post on the East Coast forum under a different name, same story though, of which I was igrnt.
But I still think you mobos lack a certain sense of humour.
/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I believe Malaprop lifted Mariner69s post wholesale to post here maliciously.

You see, Mariner69 came back on and apologised, something Malaprop would never countenance.

Mariner69 was on the Crouch, which is a few miles off base from Hayling Island or Arundel, where you might normally avoid the Ebb Tide.

PeteCooper

Visit site
I think that you are all being a bit harsh on Mr Malaprop. He is presumably paying moorings for his 'Hunter Europa, 20 foot of maritime splendour' when in fact the Europa is only 19 feet long, and the effect of over paying by 1 foot has made him a bitter and twisted person. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

jhr

jamesrichardsonconsultants.co.uk
Pretty sure the Europa does not belong to Malaprop - as mentioned above, he's cut and pasted someone else's post. Although one would infer, from his posts, that he has been a raggie for many years, I'm pretty sure he is now the owner of a mobo - a slow one, admittedly, but definitely a mobo.

Re the pedantry: one of his (several) previous Forum IDs declared him to be a retired teacher. No further questions, M'Lud. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

DAKA

Visit site
Who ever he is, what ever he has posted in the past on other forums I am disappointed with the tone of this thread , for any visitor looking in today and seeing this thread please dont be put off posting.
My comment above was made as light humour and not designed to set the tone, I have sent a private message to Malaprop ensuring that he took it that way.

In my opinion this thread should be deleted for the good of the mobo forum and arguments of this nature belong elsewhere.

jfm

Visit site
I disagree Daka, and so far as my posts are concerned you didn't set the tone. Malaprop has been unquestionably rude to many posters, on open forum and in PMs, over a long period of time. There is nothing at all inappropriate about some schadenfreude at his - of all people's - getting a bit drenched. Even though it now seems he cut and pasted someone else's post and wasn't in that boat on the Crouch at all, ho hum. So, I'm not disappointed witht he tone of this thread at all. It's entirely appropriate on a forum like this. Any visitor looking in can see this is an informative forum with lots of pleasant exchange of views and information. If Malaprop would care to apologise and change his spots he would be very welcome around here. He has years of boating experience and knowledge that he could share, to everyone's benefit

FullCircle

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Who ever he is, what ever he has posted in the past on other forums I am disappointed with the tone of this thread , for any visitor looking in today and seeing this thread please dont be put off posting.
My comment above was made as light humour and not designed to set the tone, I have sent a private message to Malaprop ensuring that he took it that way.

In my opinion this thread should be deleted for the good of the mobo forum and arguments of this nature belong elsewhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

Daka, I agree with jfm.
I am afraid if you look (as a sample) back at his last 10 posts, they all contain the same thread of sneering superiority and downright rudeness. I for one will be happy to see him off the forum to join the many others whose general behaviour ran contrary to the good natured and informative nature of these forums.

DAKA

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

I am afraid if you look (as a sample) back at his last 10 posts, they all contain the same thread of sneering superiority and downright rudeness.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont feel strongly enough about this to risk falling out with some of the forums most respected members that are on this thread, yourself included.
We can all have a bad day and post out of character, you only need read this thread to realize that.

As Maloprop has posted on the mobo forum I have looked back at his last 10 mobo posts as suggested
.......................................................................................................
Contact Grehan's website -he's on here as a poster - whose informative blogs I found invaluable.
........................................................................................................
Just had excellent service - including up the walls! -from Steve Roberts near Emsworth.
tel 01243 377200
......................................................................................................
They're called bertholders associations and if properly ie democratically, established can affiliate to the RYA and receive all their legal advice and backup.

Not surprisingly marinas and their managers fight tooth and nail to resist their creation!
........................................................................................................
With your track record that makes sense!

re Plymouth; have you written to the MD of YachtHaven Group in Lymington putting your case or are you just having a one-sided rant at our expense?

Lucky anyone's watching . . . .
...........................................................................................................
Was worried about leaving the boat in France for a month or two and decided to do something about possible diesel theft.
So a word of praise for kevinA on this Forum who supplies a cheap retrofit fuel cap - excellent service.
....................................................................................................
Has anyone balanced the equation of pressure-washing v antifouling?
Sealift in Cowes charge £105 for a lift and wash. Would that enable you to postpone antifouling for a few more months?
....................................................................................
Great idea! Every low bridge should be fitted with 'em.
Am tired of replacing broken VHF aerials . .

<span style="color:blue">perhaps as I spend my time in the mobo bit , it explains why I havent noticed much of an issue.
Interestingly , i have just put spell checker on in case he reads this and his posts are full of spelin misteaks </span> /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Geoffs

Visit site
I think you'll find inconsiderate types in both sail and power camps. I've met both, as described in Pooledragon's post on the Butt.

Pooledragon

Then there was the Westerly (it looked like to me) that pinched Blackfeather's mooring in Swanage and refused to move.

So black pots and kettles!

jfm

Visit site
I don't base my Malaprop views on his last 10 posts. He has in the recent past called folks running a cruise in company "cowboys" on the forum and has sent me (an others, many tell me) very rude PMs, including one yesterday.

His post only yesterday about getting drenched is (at least prima facie, and he ought to explain if the concern I'm raising here is unfounded) a direct cut and paste of a post by Mariner 69, just 3 minutes earlier, so it appears Malaprop was being 100% untruthful in saying on this forum that it (the drenching on the Crouch) happened to him.

D3B

www.cutting-solutions.co.uk
[ QUOTE ]
, the above postings are what one would expect from igernt mobos ------ I'm alright Jack mentality.
It would scare the s..t out of them if you took them for a sail in a F7, but they are happy to blow you out of the water.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry BoyBlue.....
I think you will find many HAVE been out on yachts in F7 and worse....me included on a quite long passage back from Oostende last year on Full Circle.....exhilerating!!!!

I am glad to say I boat in an area where there is little anomosity towards each other....many of my very good boating friends have sail boats....
Unfortunately there are inconsiderates in all codes...including the mobo's in malaprops stolen post....when i was in the Orwell and decided to get out of the way of the yacht coming toward me, by cutting inside a marker buoy (a 90 degree turn) did he decide to alter course straight for me......he had 200 yards of water within the deep water channel...as a result i had to power up...causing a wash to pass safely ahead....

AndieMac

Visit site
You are right, a lot of it is down to interpretation. You do what you think is right at the time to ensure safe passage.

As long as both the passing boats are underway and are aware of the others presence, and not anchored or moored, wash of some kind is a result.

I think sometimes, folk don't like to be overtaken, like people on the highways in overtaking lanes, you notice their speed increases.
/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

AndieMac

Visit site
As far as not coping with rough weather is concerned, statistically over here anyway, they do far more airlifts off stricken yachts than they do motorboats. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

nonitoo

Visit site
Mischievous Mode On >Could that be that the MoBo'ers had more sense than be out in bad weather anyway ? <Off.

Seriously, I spent 30+ years enjoying "the peace and quiet" of bouncing up and down in the same hole for hours in bad weather, being soaked every few minutes.

Now I have reached the age where comfort and convenience outweigh other considerations and so Rag & Stick have given way to a narrower operating window and speed in suitable conditions.

You pays your money.............

Both camps are equally valid and the small number of prats found everywhere should be ignored.

Tom

AndieMac

Visit site
Tom

Apparently, after interviewing many of the 'striken' yacht crews, its the recently retired couple on a sea change, believing their vessel (according to folk-lore), can handle most conditions.

This may be so, but low and behold the crew don't seem to manage quite as well. Daddy's heaving his heart out, and Mummy's having a breakdown.