wanted: new balls please

Daydream believer

Visit site
Ditto. And on principle, I often feel I shouldn't approve of any dog I actually have to bend down to pat on the head. But when it comes to it, I don't think I've ever met a dog I didn't actually like.
For my part, perhaps one day I'll have a boat big enough to fit the dogs. But unlikely. So I guess until then they'll have to continue stay at home with the wife whilst I go sailing :p

DSC_3336.JPG

Your wife looks like my mother in law

Fox Morgan

Visit site
Well, I'm feeling a little let down.
Throughout the piles and piles, nay sack fulls of applications, gifts, bribes and bouqets of flowers from folks enquiring about the sailing companion vacancy that have frankly caused havoc with the ballast of Boogie Nights, none have thus far yielded any form of edible product.

I'm holding out hope still that Mr or Ms sail charmer will turn up with a bag of chips and bottle of lambrusco bianco.
If they remember to bring summat for pudding they've got the job.

Jungle Jim

Visit site
Ah, so the edible product is the key? In which case I've got it cracked.

I've got a vintage FB meat pie I've been keeping for a special occasion. It's one of the posh ones (you know, with named meat). There's a packet of Angel Delight somewhere for pud as well. What more could a girl ask?

When do I join?

Scotty_Tradewind

Me: South Oxfordshire. Boat, Galicia NW Spain
Visit site
There's already a Uke onboard, (as well as a mandolin) but yer welcome to BYO. :)

Mandolin.......tuning similar to violin?.... never did sort the fingering for that., but of my ukes I guess the plastic soprano would favour best onboard.

Whilst waiting for the tide to get into Carteret (49deg22'.04 01deg47'.06) in 2013, we played our ukes in the calm conditions with huge dolphin circling Ambler and coming up close as if curious of the sound. (I hasten not to call it music :) )
We also broadcast over vhf 08 to our pals aboard their yacht a mile or two away for a chorus of Ukulele lady. We then (rightfully) got a boll ock ing from the French coastguard for doing so.:redface-new:

S.

Keef

Visit site
Mandolin.......tuning similar to violin?.... never did sort the fingering for that., but of my ukes I guess the plastic soprano would favour best onboard.

Whilst waiting for the tide to get into Carteret (49deg22'.04 01deg47'.06) in 2013, we played our ukes in the calm conditions with huge dolphin circling Ambler and coming up close as if curious of the sound. (I hasten not to call it music :) )
We also broadcast over vhf 08 to our pals aboard their yacht a mile or two away for a chorus of Ukulele lady. We then (rightfully) got a boll ock ing from the French coastguard for doing so.:redface-new:

S.

Uke is different to Mandolin. A Uke is traditionally tuned GCEA- though people do use alternative tunings in the same way that guitar has different tunings, a Mandolin is just like a violin GDAE. Altered 4ths for the former and pure 5ths for the latter.

I can play mandolin, but I might buy a uke soon. I play guitar quite well.

Scotty_Tradewind

Me: South Oxfordshire. Boat, Galicia NW Spain
Visit site
Uke is different to Mandolin. A Uke is traditionally tuned GCEA- though people do use alternative tunings in the same way that guitar has different tunings, a Mandolin is just like a violin GDAE. Altered 4ths for the former and pure 5ths for the latter.

I can play mandolin, but I might buy a uke soon. I play guitar quite well.

Yes ukes are tuned GCEA usually in the U.K. and mostly in the World these days, until

you get to the baritone. It then takes on the tuning of a guitars 1st 4 strings and obviously

the same chord fingering for those strings. :)

I have 3 guitars in the house, sadly rarely get picked up these days.

The best of the cheap ukes ( under £60 ) that I've tried are the 'Tom' laminates, directly from China.

I have two, one Concert and one Tenor. They both play well straight out of the box, far

better than my Kala Concert costing 5 times more, which needs the action lowering to turn

it into a musical instrument that you can comfortably progress on.

My desk partner at Uke Club, has a beautiful Tenor Kala (at £270 it should be! )

However it feels no different but does give a fuller sound from it's solid wood body.

S.

Last edited:

Triassic

Visit site
Guys, I think you need to go back and read page one. There is no mention of the ability to twang strings in any harmony amongst the selection criteria, although I suppose if you're good with your fingers that might be considered a transferrable skill?

Triassic

Visit site
Anyway, my cooking classes are coming along famously, I just hope the vacancy isn't taken before I master the Coq au vin!