Want to move my 8 mtr boat with ouboard from Newhaven to join the canal network . Channel - Thames . Any quicker/ safer way . Grateful 1st timer .

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
Aha ha ha!

You'll be very lucky to find 2 metres of water anywhere on the Southern canals linked to the Thames.

The Grand Junction canal (Brentford to Braunston) was only *designed* with a depth of 5'6", the Oxford even less (variable between 4' and 5')

And those depths were in the middle of the canal. Canals are saucer shaped and significantly shallower at the bank than in the middle

Add to that the dire state of the canals which are suffering from a severe lack of dredging. An old friend of mine has just spent over a week moving a 4'6" draft Bantam tug from London to Milton Keynes and it's been dragging bottom most of the way

A coastal sailing boat is totally and utterly unsuitable for canal cruising.

4' 6" is substantially greater than 0.97m

- W

Bru

svpagan.blogspot.com
4' 6" is substantially greater than 0.97m

- W

<sigh>

Did you actually read what I wrote Webby?

Yes, it is

But you won't find 4'6 where the CART figures say you will *unless* that stretch of canal has been dredged fairly recently (and possibly not even then)

And CART do not own any dredgers! All the dredging is (and has been for yonks) subcontracted. And guess what ... CART hasn't got any money

What's more, and since way back in the worst BWB days, since almost all modern leisure canal boats draw less than three feet, there's very little incentive to spend a lot of money on dredging

So you're nominal 4'6" is rather mythical I'm afraid. Most of the system is at *least* a foot shallower than design and in places such as downstream of locks often even shallower

And once again I reiterate that the depths quoted are in the *centre* of the channel. Most canals are saucer shaped in section and therefore significantly shallower towards the bank than in the middle by design even before they've silted up

Gumpy

Visit site
Listen to what @Bru says, he is a wise man.

I have spent most of my life on the canals and have dragged and I mean dragged boats with a draft the same as yours across most of the Southern system, which with that beam is all you can hope to do without road transport.
There is a ray of hope here insomuch that if you go to the canals of the North East you will find waterways that will be easier to use your boat as they are deeper, however you will also find the occasional 300ton freight ship and they take no prisoners :(

Bru

svpagan.blogspot.com
Are you perhaps refering to the incident at Denham?
If you are it was my bridge I got there first ;)

I thought it was Wolverton? (ISTR I was helming "Linda" at the time???)

Either way though, I'm forced to concede that it was indeed your bridge! My bad :/

Gumpy

Visit site
I thought it was Wolverton? (ISTR I was helming "Linda" at the time???)

Either way though, I'm forced to concede that it was indeed your bridge! My bad :/
Not the one I was thinking of I had forgotten that one. The one that I remember involved Aldgate and Angel, Parglena appeared in the bridge below Denham Lock, there was a lot of scuttling about on A&A, PA was very unimpresssed at having to give way :)

Had a similar incident at Galleon Bridge involving a certain Baronet, Onx ended up in the bushes ;)

Visit site
If going onto the canals you will need a BSS certificate, insurance and a license for the boat, that will add about 1k to your budget. Take notice of the good advice here and buy a canal boat for canal use, with that draught you wont be getting near the banks.

Bru

svpagan.blogspot.com
...I don't know the boat in question, but a triple keeler sounds like it could be a good river boat, but if Bru reckons it won't be good in most canals, I'd tend to listen.

Actually even worse than a fin keeler with the sole benefit of not falling over if the water goes away*

That's because it'll be even harder to get it anywhere near the bank

* Folks naturally assume that the water level remains constant on the canals but it doesn't

There can be significant variations due to water use at locks even under normal circumstances. Heavy traffic could easily drop the levels by several inches

And then there's the consequences of leaks. For example, for many years mooring in the long pound between locks 2 and 3 at Stoke Bruerne because the gates at lock 3 leaked so badly any boat tied up there overnight would be high and dry by morning

A similar problem put us hard around overnight with a loaded pair in Brentford Basin.

And then there's vandalism. We once ended up hard aground under a road bridge in Tipton watching the water disappear with considerable alacrity due to vandals lifting all the paddles at Smethwick and draining the whole pound! We were not best pleased!

Bru

svpagan.blogspot.com
If nothing else, isn't a standard tesco trolley somewhat wider than 16"?

Don't talk to me about bloomin' shopping trollies!

And lifting stops. Then there was the car tyre, the kids paddling pool, rope galore, bloody razor wire (could have been nasty, that one), the sack of dead puppies (ugh) ...

The list is long and incredibly varied :0

Mister E

Visit site
Many years ago my father bought a plywood cabin cruiser that was already in the canal.
It was an absolute bargain NOT

Then we found out why, it was to wide to get through the locks and to high to get under some bridges.
So we could cruise a distance of about 10 miles at the most.
It turned out he had bought a river boat. I don't know what happened to it but the wrong type of boat in the wrong place is useless.

Canal boats for canals.
River boats for rivers.
Yachts for wide open water.

ryanroberts

Visit site
Trent and the yorkshire navigations are the only hope for a boat like that on the canals, not sure you could even get it past osney, certainly not up the lower oxford canal which barely handles traditional narrowboats

Seastoke

Visit site
Trent and the yorkshire navigations are the only hope for a boat like that on the canals, not sure you could even get it past osney, certainly not up the lower oxford canal which barely handles traditional narrowboats
Would an outboard even steer a boat like that

SandyP

Visit site
You've theoretically have ok beam for wide canals, such as Brentford going north, and enough water for your draft, but you'll be sliding along the bottom, something steel can handle but not grp
Before you argue, this is my patch, I'm here now in my cruiser, drawing 8in at the sides and I often can't get to the bank. The 2ft do Central rider makes it even more complicated, and I know my patch

Also you seem to be ignoring the bss requirement
And the ££ for the licence
You do know about the requirement to move every 13 days?

Gixer

Visit site
He was going to have a look at the boat for, I believe, the first time on Saturday. Hopefully he’ll come back with what he’s planning to do.