voyage for madmen

Visit site
Im not a great book reader but this was given to me befor a trip. I couldent put it down (well yes i could but didnt want to).
A right rivetting read. go on have a look and see what you think.
Currently reading the second in the flashmen books, what a cad.

Jeremy_W

Visit site
Rather like Sellars & Yeatman, of "1066 and All That" the author plainly finds the winner of the race far less interesting than those who didn't make it. All he writes about Robin Knox-Johnstone is about his dullness (of his diet, his patriotism, his stolid book list...). But he becomes really animated about Nigel Tetley or Louis Fougeron.

Parsonsheath

Visit site
A book written by a Brit for Brits, the nation that has a love affair with losing!

I have read this, and have recently re read Bernard Moitessier "The Long Way", what a different world those characters inhabited, Bernard loved the journey,loved the sea, loved nature and learnt daily, he made a great journey within himself at the same time, and when you re read it you realise why he did the right thing for him by leaving the race but continuing his journey.

So difficult to comprehend he was one of the contestants along with the others, talk about no truth, just perception!

RupertW

Visit site
I've just finished the book and although I thought I knew the story well through the Knox-Johnstone book and the original Crowhurst one, I thought this book pulled the story together very well.

As KJ, Crowhurst and Moitessier are all so available to read about I liked the concentration on those whose books are not still in print, or were never written. His description of Tetley's writing style was priceless as well as his stories of two army types going unthinkingly into a race in unsuitable boats with little or no sailing knowledge.