Volvo TAMD 73/74 and 75 ECU - Cause for concern?

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
well spoken, BUT also depends on what are the other options in the market segment customer is focusing on... It seems that in certain segments VP seems to be dominating the market!
True. This is probably more of a concern for folks looking at (say) 15+ year old boats with VP engines vs those with others.

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
True. This is probably more of a concern for folks looking at (say) 15+ year old boats with VP engines vs those with others.
Ah don’ hold your breath , Volvo are always running out of stock with long lead times for some everyday parts relating to modern drives and engines .
Last year they had no stock of lower DPH drives units for months with no lead time available.
one of my clients ended up having to buy a complete drive to get his boat running .

vas

Visit site
not up to date with outdrive market, but aren't the 28-36ft diesel outdrive mobos predominantly Volvo powered?
doesn't look like you have many options in new or s/h tbh.

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
not up to date with outdrive market, but aren't the 28-36ft diesel outdrive mobos predominantly Volvo powered?
doesn't look like you have many options in new or s/h tbh.
And bigger too. Mine's called a "40" but it's actually 45' and it has Volvo diesel outdrives. The base boat was available with Mercruisers but only with petrol. Upgrade to the entry level diesel was Eur50k plus VAT but most buyers went for that, I've only seen one or two petrol ones. All the diesels are VP.

jrudge

Visit site
They also used to ( still do ?) have a program where they supplied the engines to the boat builder with no payment and only got paid when the boat was sold. Given the cost of the things this goes down well with the builders

burgundyben

Visit site
And bigger too. Mine's called a "40" but it's actually 45' and it has Volvo diesel outdrives. The base boat was available with Mercruisers but only with petrol. Upgrade to the entry level diesel was Eur50k plus VAT but most buyers went for that, I've only seen one or two petrol ones. All the diesels are VP.

Despite having owned motorboats for 20 years I know very little about them in the wider sense. My knowledge is confined to a very niche type of boat I guess.

I'm amazed that there is a 45ft boat on outdrive, I had no idea they went that big.

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
Despite having owned motorboats for 20 years I know very little about them in the wider sense. My knowledge is confined to a very niche type of boat I guess.

I'm amazed that there is a 45ft boat on outdrive, I had no idea they went that big.
It seems fine. Engine room has ample space but then I’ve got the smaller diesel options 2x300 D4. Goes up to 2 x 440 D6 I think. All on outdrives.

Imperial One

www.imperial-yachtbrokers.com
I still think there is more to the problem of no manufacturing on this item especially when you discuss issues with supplying dealers , I do hope this gets sorted but I am not holding my breath .
Holding your breath is very dangerous Paul, DON'T DO IT.
Stop and think, if you don't breath you will expire, what about all those boat owners who would be left with no Volvo Paul to sort their issues out

dryfisher

Visit site
Hi, this is Frank from Germany. I'm the owner of a 1998 Astondoa 45 with 2 engines VP TAMD73P-A.

I'm waiting for a new ECU now since 2 years (04.04.2019), so Volvo can't say it is a covid problem.
I can use my boat, but I always a have an error message on the EDC lamps about the turbo pressure.
After swapping port and starboard ECU, the issue is on the other engine.
I have found a used ECU on E-Bay before 2 years, but this has a problem too.

Regards Frank

Mr Googler

Visit site
How difficult can it be to reverse engineer?

if 100 people want one.....even at 1k a pop......that’s worth the setup costs

@vas you could do this within 2 hours I bet!

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
Hi, this is Frank from Germany. I'm the owner of a 1998 Astondoa 45 with 2 engines VP TAMD73P-A.

I'm waiting for a new ECU now since 2 years (04.04.2019), so Volvo can't say it is a covid problem.
I can use my boat, but I always a have an error message on the EDC lamps about the turbo pressure.
After swapping port and starboard ECU, the issue is on the other engine.
I have found a used ECU on E-Bay before 2 years, but this has a problem too.

Regards Frank
Your problem by the sounds of it isn’t the ECU itself it is the boost sensor that sits inside the cover , you can buy that part no problem and fit it to the ECU .

If your engine runs I doubt the ECU is faulty , can you tell me the fault code numbers ?

dryfisher

Visit site
Your problem by the sounds of it isn’t the ECU itself it is the boost sensor that sits inside the cover , you can buy that part no problem and fit it to the ECU .

If your engine runs I doubt the ECU is faulty , can you tell me the fault code numbers ?

Yes, i know, the fault code is 8-2, but the ECU is not like this:
Volvo TAMD 73/74 and 75 ECU - Cause for concern?

it is like this one:
Tamd73P EDC help??

I think it is not possible to change the sensor in the older ECU's of the TAMD73P, in the newer ECU's it is possible.

jon and michie

Visit site
Looks like this might get interesting - Either Frank (dryfisher) doesnt have an ECU fault as Volvopaul is pointing out going by the information provided or Franks ECU is fried and Volvo has been putting it off - If this is the case then it leaves a lot for their customer care / support.

superheat6k

Visit site
These Volvo Penta engines are similar to many truck engines. Is it possible an ECU for a truck engine might work, or it that just naive. After all why make two complex controllers when perhaps some minor programming changes would cover both applications.

Newbroom

Visit site
These Volvo Penta engines are similar to many truck engines. Is it possible an ECU for a truck engine might work, or it that just naive. After all why make two complex controllers when perhaps some minor programming changes would cover both applications.
Lorry ECUs don't control the gear shift. Completely different kettle of fish.

superheat6k

Visit site
I do find it surprising that the answers here are all negative, and nothing suggesting ingenuity. The base blocks of marine engines are normally industrial or truck engines. They do not re-invent the wheel just to include the word 'Marine', they only inflate the price.

Certainly another reason why I will stick with convential jerk pump engines.