Volvo Saildrive 110S

SAWDOC

Visit site
I have searched Volvo penta site looking for a maintenance manual for the 110S saildrive. It seems to have dropped off their radar probably due to age. Does anyone know where I could source one please?

I am assuming regular changing of the gear oil and the ring anode are the essentials. Are there any other routine tasks?

Thanks

Sans Bateau

Visit site
I think the two items you mention are as about as much as you can do. When you drain the oil, look out for any 'milkyness' in it. If there is then it is likely that the two oil seals that sit behind the prop need changing. There are two oil seals, one keeps the water out, the other keeps the oil in. If the oil seal keeping the water our is worn or damaged, then water will not be stopped from entering the leg (oil) by the other oil seal as it is the wrong way around.

Changing the anode and oil should be done annually, use the same oil in the leg as you do in the engine.

Stork_III

Visit site
I have searched Volvo penta site looking for a maintenance manual for the 110S saildrive. It seems to have dropped off their radar probably due to age. Does anyone know where I could source one please?

I am assuming regular changing of the gear oil and the ring anode are the essentials. Are there any other routine tasks?

Thanks
Look in the owner's manual for your engine. Saildrive covered in there. What you say is about it, oil every 2 years usually.

Sans Bateau

Visit site
Why change the oil every year? You don't do so with your car gearbox or back axle.

Your right you dont change the gearbox oil on your car every year, but that isnt likely to have sea water leak into it does it? The point of changing every year is to establish if you have an oil/water seal problem, not because the oil is worn out.

brians

Visit site
Your right you dont change the gearbox oil on your car every year, but that isnt likely to have sea water leak into it does it? The point of changing every year is to establish if you have an oil/water seal problem, not because the oil is worn out.

From what I have been told by a VP this would be apparent on the dipstick as the saildrive is like a large liquidiser.

SAWDOC

Visit site
Thanks all for your informed comment and the promise of a manual by PM. Can I ask a supplementary:

Is it neccessary to remove the fixed 3 blade prop when changing ring anode?

Thanks again

Jeannius

Visit site
All good advice so far.

I recently change the oil seal on one of my saildrives while the boat was beached. A bit nerve racking as I'd never done it before and there was a very definite time-limit on completion.

Couldn't get the old seal out until I discovered a wooden thru-hull plug that was exactly the right size to use to bash the old seal out. It was the perfect tool so I suggest you buy a bag of assorted plugs before starting.

6 months later the oil in the repaired drive is as good as new. Unfortunately the other saildrive has now failed and there isn't a big enough tidal range where I now am so it means a haul out.

SAWDOC

Visit site
All good advice so far.

I recently change the oil seal on one of my saildrives while the boat was beached. A bit nerve racking as I'd never done it before and there was a very definite time-limit on completion.

Couldn't get the old seal out until I discovered a wooden thru-hull plug that was exactly the right size to use to bash the old seal out. It was the perfect tool so I suggest you buy a bag of assorted plugs before starting.

6 months later the oil in the repaired drive is as good as new. Unfortunately the other saildrive has now failed and there isn't a big enough tidal range where I now am so it means a haul out.

Hi Mike
You trying to make us all envious with that blog sailing off the sunny coast of Brazil ?? definitely going to spend some time reading that!

sailoress

Visit site
Thanks to the generosity of another forumite I now have a PDF of the 110S workshop manual, 8 MB in size. If anyone wants a copy by email let me know.

Sawdoc I'd be grateful for a copy of this manual. I can't tell you the hours I've spent combing Volvo's site for this information. :D

S

venntim

Visit site
110s anode change

Thought to resurrect this old thread as I'm clueless on how the change the anode on this thing. The prop is off, but there is a somekind of a sleeve on the axle that has a kind of a plate attached it –*apparently to protect the anode screws. But the thing is, it won't budge. I have tried heat, but still no success. Am I missing something? Help, please!

VicS

Visit site
Thought to resurrect this old thread as I'm clueless on how the change the anode on this thing. The prop is off, but there is a somekind of a sleeve on the axle that has a kind of a plate attached it –*apparently to protect the anode screws. But the thing is, it won't budge. I have tried heat, but still no success. Am I missing something? Help, please!
There does not seem to be anything holding it on.

More heat, more brute force, more ignorance and a generous helping of a good release oil perhaps

http://www.marinepartseurope.com/en/zoom.aspx?src=/PentaPictures1000/5914.jpg

Tranona

Visit site
Yes, it should just slide off. It is supposed to function as a line cutter, but not very effective and later models dispensed with the disc and just left the sleeve.

venntim

Visit site
Ok, thanks. I'll resort to more drastic measures then. The previous owner clearly haven't changed the anode too often as there is precious little left of it. And I'm always a bit cautious on applying much force unless I know that that's the way to go :)

By the way, I just started a blog on sailing and racing in the Baltic (and also on maintaining these old boats). Please take a look and let me know what you think -> www.balticsailing.blogspot.com