Volvo (raw) water pump - replace genuine or OEM

Airscrew

Visit site
Hi All.

Our sea/raw water pump will be replaced.
We will get a marine engineer in Greece to replace.
Any thoughts or experience on OEM (ie Ancor/Johnson etc) vs genuine Penta parts?
Its about 210Eu vs over 650Eu for a D1-20

Thanks

scottie

Visit site
From your information Johnson or jabsco would be preferred option and unless other factors dictate it would be considered a DIY job
it is not a Volvo manufactured item so not paying the difference makes sense

pandos

Visit site
Hi All.

Our sea/raw water pump will be replaced.
We will get a marine engineer in Greece to replace.
Any thoughts or experience on OEM (ie Ancor/Johnson etc) vs genuine Penta parts?
Its about 210Eu vs over 650Eu for a D1-20

Thanks
Which engine? Some can be revived with a new shaft and a set of bearings.

Chris_Robb

Visit site
I replaced it with a non-genuine one 4 years ago. I never had any problem.
See Volvo Penta impeller pump
I bought a genuine volvo job that failed in one month. On taking the unit back to the UK, I carry a spare, tge engineer found the the springs in the lip seals were ferrous and had rusted through in that time.

When replacing any seal check that the internal springs are the correct stainless steel.. alternatively buy the correct springs and replace. Bloody volvo cheap skate.

Tranona

Visit site
Which engine? Some can be revived with a new shaft and a set of bearings.
He very clearly says it is a D1 20 and he intends getting a mechanic in Greece to replace it. The only question is genuine or third party supplier.

DinghyMan

www.ff-systems.co.uk
I bought a genuine volvo job that failed in one month. On taking the unit back to the UK, I carry a spare, tge engineer found the the springs in the lip seals were ferrous and had rusted through in that time.

When replacing any seal check that the internal springs are the correct stainless steel.. alternatively buy the correct springs and replace. Bloody volvo cheap skate.
Simply Bearings do a decent range of replacement springs in stainless: Search Results: stainless spring - Simply Bearings Ltd

rogerthebodger

Visit site
If the spring in the existing seal is still intact i most likely to be stainless steel and if the spring in the new seal is not the exiting spring can be removed and the spring in the new seal could be replaced with the spring froth existing eal