Volvo Penta TAMD61A turbo charger reconditioning

jms28

Visit site
Hi all,

Last summer we discovered that buildup of soot and carbon in the turbos of our Volvo Penta TAMD61A engines prevented the turbines from turning, which obviously resulted in immense performance issues on our Cranchi Mediterranee 40 (*1990). As this was unfortunately only discovered once the boat was already back in the water and just as we were ready to start our long anticipated holidays (in Greece), we undertook a last-minute "repair" with hammer and screwdriver to free the turbines as good as possible. A compromise, of course.

This seemed to have worked relatively well, albeit a decrease in the performance still being fairly obvious during the holidays. However, when we came back later in the summer for another trip the turbos seemed to have stuck completely again.

Annoyingly I can't find the pictures I took of the inside during the "repair", but it looked quite similar to THIS PICTURE from an AWESOME ARTICLE on this topic I found online.

I'm currently in the process of identifying facilities in Greece that might be able to provide a similar overhaul service as the one in the above article (I'm sure some of you are already wishing me the best of luck here haha...:rolleyes:), but I was wondering if people here have encountered similar issues on their boat and could share their experience? Ideally of course, with the Volvo Penta TAMD61A engines and in Greece. But any input here would be of great help

I'm currently also in the process of identifying the exact turbo model that was installed here (Borg Warner KKK K27 maybe?) to see what replacements would cost. Because I can imagine a complete overhaul wont come in cheap either, so we might as well order completely new ones. But again, still weighing the best options here and your input would be highly appreciated!

I assume this buildup is due to a mixture of impure diesel, the boat not being used as regularly as it probably should be, and, of course, the age.

Thanks in advance,
J

vas

Visit site
just soot and carbon built up alone, or a bit of rust as well?
Engines are original items on the cranchi or is it a repower?
Where in Greece is your boat?
a few pic of engine install/pics of the turbo exhaust side would be helpful.

I'm asking as I had to go through this process 4-5yrs ago, turbo was stuck solid. Cost iirc was 250euro to fix (not perfectly but don't care)
check this thread if you want http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?293031-port-engine-not-revving-as-much-as-strbrd

V.

jms28

Visit site
Thanks for your replies all.

Just to update here: I bought brand new turbos at approx. 1,000.00€ each (incl. VAT) from STK Turbo in Germany :encouragement:

Installed in spring and tested this summer: 26kts top speed, which I'm quite happy with. Can definitely recommend this reliable and friendly suplier!

Best

Tvahcic

Visit site
Hello, I have an upcoming turbo replacement, same boat and engines. I was hoping you could share long term experience on STK Turbos. How have they been holding up. thx T

QBhoy

Visit site
Hi. Just recently replaced two turbos on the 61’s. One had failed similar to yours, but damaged the housing. Sent it away to AET turbos. Incredible service.
the other I replaced for hood measure. Much cheaper because they could use the casing again and just required an overhaul.
Best get them sent away asap. You could end up with shrapnel through your engine. That would be a whole lot worse !

Scubadoo

Visit site
I can recommend Turbo Dynamics, they refurbished my turbo earlier this year and since then it's been performing as expected, excellent customer service and the guy I spoke to was very informative and helpful.

ElJames

Visit site
You all mention a turbo problem but not said what could have been the possible cause for the turbo to have the problem
1/ is the oil of good quality and clean
2/very important when was the aftercooler last removed and cleaned the air filter might have been changed but that will not mean the cooler is kept clean oil fumes from the engine are also sucked in here so you cannot check without removal.A few years ago I had 61s they just started to wisp smoke which stopped after I had cleaned the aftercoolers
good luck the starboard one was the pig to remove

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
Visit site
You all mention a turbo problem but not said what could have been the possible cause for the turbo to have the problem
1/ is the oil of good quality and clean
2/very important when was the aftercooler last removed and cleaned the air filter might have been changed but that will not mean the cooler is kept clean oil fumes from the engine are also sucked in here so you cannot check without removal.A few years ago I had 61s they just started to wisp smoke which stopped after I had cleaned the aftercoolers
good luck the starboard one was the pig to remove
For me with KAD43’s the cause was erosion from close proximity to salt water on the outlet side. My boat is 20 yrs old with only 500 hours. I diy replaced them a couple of years back.