volvo penta MD7A

mikejarvis

Visit site
I have recently had a problem where most of the engine oil ended up in the bilge. there was no noticable gasket leaks etc, but the hose from the top of the rocker cover to the air filter had become detatched. Could this account for the oil dicharge? Thanks in advance.

rosie

Visit site
Oil Leak

Very unlikely to have a big leak via the hose you mention - as I understand it the pipe is there to allow the rocker compartment to breathe. Major loss of oil is more likely to be from the oil filter, or possibly from the oil pressure switch above the filter. The pressure switch on my MD7 cracked once & leaked quite a bit. Another possibility is from the crankshaft oilseal behind the flywheel. Suggest you clean the engine carefully, put some cheap oil in it and run it, then look for leaks. Beware the flywheel & belt if you look around while it is running.

Dave.

DerrickHigton

Visit site
MD7A

Yes, that is almost certainly where it is coming from. A surprising amount of oil passes down that pipe. I even have a gimballed egg cup under the air inlet to collect the oil that does not get sucked back into the engine; it's worKed a treat for over 20 years! It is self-emptying because it eventually forces the oil to go back up the intake.

If the hose gets kinked you end up with similar problems, but then the oil comes out the filler cap. It took me a long time to track that one down. You would have expected the source of the oil to be easy to trace, but it isn't

pvb

Visit site
Yes, that is almost certainly where it is coming from. A surprising amount of oil passes down that pipe. I even have a gimballed egg cup under the air inlet to collect the oil that does not get sucked back into the engine; it's worKed a treat for over 20 years! It is self-emptying because it eventually forces the oil to go back up the intake.

If you're getting that much oil from the rocker cover breather, your engine must be in a fairly dismal condition.

turanga

Visit site
oil leak

hi I had similar problem on mine it was the pressure switch...now i have no compresion and it wont even start.. good luck

Leighb

Visit site
I had an MD7A, and on one trip I found a large amount of oil in the engine compartment. It was pretty widely distributed, and it was fairly obvious that it was the crankshaft oil seal that had gone.

Fortunately that is a straightforward repair.

I did have a fractured breather hose on another occasion, but no noticeable oil loss from there, and it was fixed with self amalgamating tape for the rest of the season.

The engine has since gone to a new home. :D

markleuty

Visit site
On my MD7B the Oil Pressure Sensor had sprung a leak, we thought it was a bit loose, so tried tightening it up and the damn thing sheared off.

Might be worth having a look.

Mark

mikejarvis

Visit site
MD7A OIL Leak

Thanks everyone I have now located the fault. Its a leaking oil pressure sender, I just hope I can get a replacement, remove the faulty one and successfully fit the replacement.
Thanks again.
mikejarvis

Richard D

Visit site
I dont know anything about this engine but come from the automotive side and on Volvo's. I dont know if these engines have one but most engines do, and that is a breater valve which has to be cleaned out now and then and if is not crankcase pressure builds up and forces oil out of cranks seals and eanywhere ekse with the least line of resistance.

Richard

VicS

Visit site
Thanks everyone I have now located the fault. Its a leaking oil pressure sender, I just hope I can get a replacement, remove the faulty one and successfully fit the replacement.
Thanks again.
mikejarvis

Keypart I think have them.