Volvo penta engine problem, Help

chimera40

Visit site
I have an 1987 Fairline Targa 33. She is fitted with a couple of Volvo Penta Tamd diesel engines. Took her out for the first time today, engines kicked up no problem, once out of the marina opened her up a bit, got to 2500 revs and she started smoking quite badly, pulled her back and all ok, tried cruising for half an hour to clear the pipes a little and then took her back up, she would not go past 2800 revs and topped out at 10 knots (normal 3500 revs and 28-30 knots). Also smoking badly at the top of revs.

In neutral she revs up fine, all the way to 4000, only when under load she is topping out and smoking.

Any and all help much appreciated.

chimera40

Visit site
A lot, needs out and cleaned. Will be doing this in a couple of weeks. Would not have thought barnacles on the props would have had that much impact though, would be delighted if thats all it is though.

NorthUp

Visit site
A lot, needs out and cleaned. Will be doing this in a couple of weeks. Would not have thought barnacles on the props would have had that much impact though, would be delighted if thats all it is though.

Everyone says that- the first time!

chimera40

Visit site
A quick google and yes, this appears to be my problem. Have a diver at the marina, will get him to go down this weekend and give it a good clean and try her again. Incredible how much power you lose to these little critters, fuel cost as well. Not good

Peanuts

Visit site
You have to remember just a layer of slime on the boat bottom knocks 3-5 kts off your top speed so barnacles on the one thing that propels you through the water can complely knock a lot of knots off and effect the engine RPM

No Regrets

Visit site
My TAMD40b's did this, but with clean props. Turns out it was Diesel bug blocking the tank pipe mesh...exactly the same symptoms!!

superheat6k

Visit site
If you have barnacles related to the critters on my props last time out earlier this year you will need to find an underwater angle grinder with wire brush head affixed ! As hard as reinforced concrete.

I would change the fuel filters, and check your air filters are clean, but black smoke suggests the engines are overloading, at the achieved revs, which would suggest fouled props.