Volvo Penta D2-60 losing coolant

silvercreek

Visit site
I have a D2-60F that has been leaking a very small amount of coolant/oil out the turbo breather tube of the back of the engine since new. I had Volvo out to look at it, they basically said it's normal. I am not so sure.

I lose about a shot glass of coolant every few hours of running time. It's not much, but I do need to top off periodically. For a while I thought this was due to air bubbles working their way out, but there shouldn't be any left at this point.

There is a frothy coolant/oil mix coming from a very small (~5mm) hole at the rear of the turbo/intercooler. The liquid mixture dribbles out, down the back of the engine, and then falls into the basin below the engine. I've attached photos. It's a very small amount of fluid overall, and does not fully account for the missing coolant.

I also noticed that the color of the raw water exiting the heat exchanger is suspiciously yellow-ish compared to the raw water intake, which is much more clear. This makes me think there may be a tiny leak in the heat exchanger (?) leaking coolant into the raw water.

Other than the small leak out the back, and the coolant level dropping, everything appears normal. The engine runs like a champ. There is no condensation on the top of the oil fill cap and no smoke from the exhaust.

Suggestions on how to go about tackling this? My Volvo warranty has expired by this point, although I did open the first case with them last year before it did so. I suspect it may still be easier/better for me to troubleshoot this one myself.

Attachments

• IMG_1191.jpeg
    IMG_1191.jpeg
    270.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1187.jpeg
    IMG_1187.jpeg
    297 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1186.jpeg
    IMG_1186.jpeg
    644.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1185.jpeg
    IMG_1185.jpeg