Volvo Dealer won't sell me green coolant!

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
Had an interesting experience at the Volvo dealer today.

"Hi, please can I have a bottle of coolant for a D4 engine".
"What year?"
"2010"
"Green Coolant?"
"Yes"
"No"
"Err, sorry? Are you out of stock or something?"
"No we have been told we cannot sell the green coolant to you, as it has a toxin in it, and you might drink it. Our own engineers, however, are still able to use green coolant when they service an engine. Your only option is to flush out all the green coolant, rinse, and use yellow coolant".

I would guess this will also affect independent engineers as well, although I didn't specifically ask that question.

It feels like the thin end of the wedge to prevent owners doing any servicing themselves, to prevent litigation from people that have drunk coolant, drowned in oil, choked trying to eat an air filter or strangled themselves with a supercharger belt.
No it’s not to make you use a dealer , I can buy it no problem as I’ve drunk it before I know it doesn’t taste nice .
Seriously I feel your pain on this matter , did hear this and asked dealer about it , it’s health and safety gone mad . Blame the Government.

Momac

Visit site
So how come you can buy ethylene glycol coolant online?
It might not be green but does that really matter?
Screenshot 2024-06-28 17.47.47.png

billskip

Visit site
That's about up there with fancy dress shops having to put labels on Superman costumes to tell the buyer that wearing it doesn't actually make them able to fly...
Or RedBull gives you wings.....

But it is necessary to take care especially if animals are about...

Plum

Visit site
Had an interesting experience at the Volvo dealer today.

"Hi, please can I have a bottle of coolant for a D4 engine".
"What year?"
"2010"
"Green Coolant?"
"Yes"
"No"
"Err, sorry? Are you out of stock or something?"
"No we have been told we cannot sell the green coolant to you, as it has a toxin in it, and you might drink it. Our own engineers, however, are still able to use green coolant when they service an engine. Your only option is to flush out all the green coolant, rinse, and use yellow coolant".

I would guess this will also affect independent engineers as well, although I didn't specifically ask that question.

It feels like the thin end of the wedge to prevent owners doing any servicing themselves, also preventing litigation from people that have drunk coolant, drowned in oil, choked trying to eat an air filter or strangled themselves with a supercharger belt.
still available on ebay VOLVO PENTA READY MIX COOLANT 40/60 Mix 5L - 22567233 | eBay