Volvo Penta 2003 , wont start.

marsbar

Visit site
Hi, I’ve bought a boat from an old friend which has a Penta 2003. It use to run and start well . Last time I heard it start and run was around 4 years ago. It hasn’t been started since . I’ve hooked up the fuel feed to a fresh can of diesel and have bleed the filter on the engine and fuel is returning to the tank . Fuel is getting to all three of the banjo bolts on the three injector pumps but no fuel is coming out of the pumps and to the injectors. The start/stop lever was stuck but after a little oil and wriggling it seems to move freely. The throttle moves freely. Any ideas why no fuel is coming out of any of the three injector pumps? Steve

VicS

Visit site
Have you followed the procedure described in the work shop manual?

24. Venting the fuel system
A. Open the venting screw on the fuel filter approx. 4
turns. Watch out for fuel-splashes.
B. Use the hand-pump to pump fuel until fuel free from
air bubbles is coming out. Close the venting screw.
C. Ease off the fuel pressure pipe nuts at the injec￾tors. Position the throttle control in the position for full
speed and turn the engine with the starter motor until
fuel comes out of the fuel pressure pipes. Tighten the
fuel pressure pipe nuts.

marsbar

Visit site
Have you followed the procedure described in the work shop manual?
Hi, yes , I have done that and no fuel is reaching the injectors on top of the engine. Tracing back no fuel is leaving any of the three injector pumps but there is fuel at each of the three banjo feeds into each injector.

Stemar

Visit site
Is it possible that the injector pumps have seized? IIRC, there's one per cylinder and they're driven by the camshaft, so if they're stiff, they won't drop as the cam turns.

If you take them out, don't mix them up and make sure you know which shims go where. The height of the pumps is how they're adjusted, and it's pretty critical.

If you haven't got it, you can download the workshop manual here https://avdhoeff.home.xs4all.nl/zei...enta-Type_2001-2002-2003T_Workshop-Manual.pdf

Pete7

Visit site
There is a large plug on the back of the port side near the bell housing which if removed allows you to see the FIP control rod move horizontally towards the bows or back to the stern of the boat. Is this rod moving? You could try an Italian tune up by lifting the decompression lever and cranking it over to see fuel reaches the injectors.

Read this: Linky

Last edited:

marsbar

Visit site
I managed to get down to the boat today. I removed the large plug at the rear of the engine. The control rod will only move a couple of mm . Would just one sticking injector pump cause this ? Thanks for all of your suggestions.

marsbar

Visit site
Took the injector pumps out today, two were stuck . Managed to free one but the other is proving more difficult and is soaking in diesel for its sins . The throttle control rod now moves easily if I grab it from the plug end at the rear of the engine but it still won’t move with the throttle lever. The cable moves and the arm on the throttle control plate on the engine, but no movement on the control rod. I take it this plate will have to come off, what’s behind it ? will a thousand springs jump out and be lost forever?

Stemar

Visit site
It's been a while since I fiddled with that bit of a 2003, but I wouldn't expect the rod to move with the throttle control. From memory, the throttle controls the governor and the governor controls the control rod. I would expect that, with everything at rest, the rod would be at or near full throttle, then, as the engine spins up, the governor reduces the fuel input to give the required rpm for the throttle setting.

Someone with more knowledge than me will be along in a moment to point out why that's totally wrong...

marsbar

Visit site
I’ve removed the throttle control plate , I can’t get a great view because of restricted access, but all that I can see looks ok. The springs are still attached etc. The first spring seems to be one which returns the throttle arm but I can’t see how the arm advances the throttle. The control rod moves easily but what pushes it aft to increase revs?

black mercury

Visit site
I’ve removed the throttle control plate , I can’t get a great view because of restricted access, but all that I can see looks ok. The springs are still attached etc. The first spring seems to be one which returns the throttle arm but I can’t see how the arm advances the throttle. The control rod moves easily but what pushes it aft to increase revs?
The engine governor. There is no direct mechanical link between the throttle lever and the control rod or rack. When you move the throttle lever you vary the amount of force the governor can apply to the control rod. If you move the stop lever you should see what way the rod moves, it over rides the governor and has a direct action on the control rod.
I think you have found the problem and with the pumps fully free and refitted fingers crossed it will start. You can mount the pumps in a vice and push on the plungers against the spring as well as rotating them. With long term storage a coating can form on the surfaces causing them to stick. I have used wd40 which also has a cleaning effect sprayed into the fuel feed while operating the pump by hand.

sail2live

Visit site
Pumps removed , two were stuck. Soaked in diesel for a couple of days and they loosened up. All back together and after a bit of bleeding she fired up. Running good again now. Thanks to all who passed on advice.
Hi, I have the same issue. Been in diesel for a few days but no movement is it ok to put them in a vice to give them a squeeze?