Volvo/Merc

tr7v8

Visit site
Spannerman writes:-

>Fitted two in a Draco 25 Twin Cab which is a heavily built boat, before it had 2 x >3.0l and a total 240hp. Now it has 2 x 1.7l and a total of 224hp and its faster, it >does 38 kts on the GPS. It will blow away any 4 cyl Merc or Volvo petrol, what it >lacks in hp it makes up in torque, bucket loads of it!

Tr7V8 gets wet undies A. someone has heard of a Draco Twincab and B. they fit 1.7's too it!
Spannerman can you PM me the rough idea of work to change and what price they are available for in Norway.

TIA

Jim
------

<hr width=100% size=1>

spannerman

Visit site
Hi Jim, Re your question on fitting 1.7's. Or any other Merc motor. I was lucky as the Draco had Mercruiser Alpha drives before so it was a straight swap. But on the Volvo conversions I have done, After fitting the adapter plate, which has instructions on how to find the 'X' dimension. Then you fit your transom assembly as per normal very easy as the holes are exactly right! You will need to get hold of an alignment tool which goes in thro' the gimbal bearing and into the drive plate on the flywheel. You do this with the rear engine mounting bolts tightened and the front of the engine on a crane\hoist, you then adjust engine up\down till tool slides home ( as if drive were fitted) then you establish what mods you need to do to make the engine bearers match up to the motor mounts, usually a wooden block glassed in to give right height. Then you pull out the motor while you do this work, connect steering, trim, exhaust and any thing else at the back, then refit motor, bolt down, and readjust motor mounts as req to get the tool in. When you are happy connect all your controls, plumbing etc, and finally fit the drive.

Regarding your feelings about pumps in Alpha drives, you can always do what I did, blank off the water hose at the transom ( special plate available) and fit a sea water pump to the engine, I used one off a diesel as they are all the same on Mercruiser, If you do this I can tell you which brackets to use as there is a variety of mountings depending on year and model. It might be worth trying to get a used one or try Sierra Parts, they make stuff for most models. You will also need to fit an intake somewhere near the pump in the engine room floor, sounds daunting but very easy really.This can't be done with the 1.7 as thewre is no kit available or place to mount it on the engine. But no problem with V6\8's
As regards price, the 1.7 is much more expensive here as we have silly things like Horse Power tax, £10 per H.P!
It runs out at about £11,000, I am sure its cheaper in the UK.
regards Steve

<hr width=100% size=1>