Volvo engineer in Portsmouth area

Tranona

Visit site
Try here first before going to a dealer. Lots of members both have Volvos and or work on them.

derekgillard

Visit site
Ok,
The boat I'm looking at has a Volvo Penta D1-20 year 2006. It has 350 hrs on the clock, the engine is Very clean looking like almost new.

When I checked out the boat and started the engine it was kicking out oil, so we ran it under load for 15 min and it was showing white smoke, every time we increased the power and then decreased it chucked out oil and black carbon.

If I had an offer accepted I would of course have it surveyed, however, I'm not sure how in depth a surveyor will go when investigating this issue, I am wondering if it should have a compression test although I understand its not a quick job. Cylinder glazing is my worry, if so what's the cost to rectify?

On the boat I've just sold I had a Yanmar same age but with 3 times the hours and it never smoked or used oil in between a service AND I never run it unless under load.

Thanks as always

Tranona

Visit site
Ok,
The boat I'm looking at has a Volvo Penta D1-20 year 2006. It has 350 hrs on the clock, the engine is Very clean looking like almost new.

When I checked out the boat and started the engine it was kicking out oil, so we ran it under load for 15 min and it was showing white smoke, every time we increased the power and then decreased it chucked out oil and black carbon.

If I had an offer accepted I would of course have it surveyed, however, I'm not sure how in depth a surveyor will go when investigating this issue, I am wondering if it should have a compression test although I understand its not a quick job. Cylinder glazing is my worry, if so what's the cost to rectify?

On the boat I've just sold I had a Yanmar same age but with 3 times the hours and it never smoked or used oil in between a service AND I never run it unless under load.

Thanks as always

Sounds like it could do with a long hard run. Symptoms of an engine that has had little hard use and not been allowed to get up to working temperature before being switched off. Could simply be the exhaust elbow is bunged up for the same reason.

Right to be wary and given that the symptoms are obvious a proper engine report (rather than just a general survey) would be sensible. Might even be worth sharing your concerns with the owner and getting him to contribute to the cost. RK Marine at Swanwick are the biggest or Golden Arrow in Port Solent.