Volvo Engine Problem. Suggestions.

oldgit

Visit site
My chum has a 2004 P 46 which is kept down in Majorca.A pair a KAMD 75 are fitted.He has had a persistant problem with one of the engines.The problem occurs normally at cruising revs but has been known to happen at low speeds.
On his way back from Ibiza last week the starboard engine again dropped back to tickover and refused to do anything else.
The engine will function OK on a restart but this involves going downstairs switching off BOTH engines and restarting.everything and carrying on without a problem for rest of trip.
Both tanks have inspection hatches installed and thoroughly cleaned along with two new lift pumps fitted and upteen filter changes.
Sounds electrical to me....but suggestions welcome...he is getting well pissed off...local mechs are just not finding out what is going on.

Last edited:

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
Sounds like he has an edc fault but as he is stopping and restarting he is clearing the code.
Follow the manual next time and read the code before switching off, I can't help without knowing the code or codes. I'd guess it's a gearbox fault on the solenoid or wiring . Engine related codes sometimes just give poor performance but carry on. Is it going into limp mode ? .
Need more before I can answer in more detail.

aquatom

Visit site
As Paul says it sounds like an edc fault rather than a fuel fault. Where is the boat berthed. If it's between Palma and Andratx I could plug in the vodia and check it over.

spannerman

Visit site
Had a similar problem once and it turned out to be a bad connection in the EDC harness of which there is a lot, it was losing the throttle signal so defaulted to idle. I would check the whole harness from throttle to engine.

scubaman

Visit site
I had a similar problem on a tamd75 last autumn. A good dose of wd40 to all the electrical (EDC) connections seems to have cured the problem for now (knock on wood).

Jegs

Visit site
I had a similar problem on a tamd75 last autumn. A good dose of wd40 to all the electrical (EDC) connections seems to have cured the problem for now (knock on wood).

Well intentioned suggestion: switch cleaner may have been a better bet.

ATB,

John G

tinkicker0

Visit site
My chum has a 2004 P 46 which is kept down in Majorca.A pair a KAMD 75 are fitted.He has had a persistant problem with one of the engines.The problem occurs normally at cruising revs but has been known to happen at low speeds.
On his way back from Ibiza last week the starboard engine again dropped back to tickover and refused to do anything else.
The engine will function OK on a restart but this involves going downstairs switching off BOTH engines and restarting.everything and carrying on without a problem for rest of trip.
Both tanks have inspection hatches installed and thoroughly cleaned along with two new lift pumps fitted and upteen filter changes.
Sounds electrical to me....but suggestions welcome...he is getting well pissed off...local mechs are just not finding out what is going on.

Had exactly the same problem with a cummins 4isbe in Workington a couple of months ago. Everything fine, started and ran fine and apparently just suddenly went into limp mode. Went out for a look after our service lads failed to find it. Insite showed several inactive low fuel pressure events logged on ecm and after checking it over, found the rail pressure relief valve was leaking badly during the leak back test and replaced it at £400 a pop.
Road test showed everything fine and dandy.
According to the test driver it had never pulled so well. Great thinks I, one up on our service engineers yah boo.

3 weeks later, doing the same again. Ran fine, started fine, ran around fine and suddenly woooooooom, no power and limp home mode. Looked at bus systems, found aglomorator filter prime pump to be non functional, thought haha the diaphragm failed and its drawing air. Replaced it, test drove it everything fine.

Yup 2 weeks later, back again. Doing the same thing but never when I was present. Driver made a comment that it happens after about 30 minutes and im thinking blocked fuel lines although filter was always full when I checked.
Hooked up cummins insite and set it up to show the raw datastream. After about 25 minutes as I was watching the fuel pressures, the commanded pressure was showing 1200bar and supplied pressure following it like a faithful old dog well within the 30 or so var variance, when suddenly supplied started dropping to 1000bar, then 900, and it went into limp mode, logging up a low fuel pressure event.
Pulled fuel filter and it was full. Put it back and it started immediately with full pressure and ran fine. Very perplexed at this point and was puzzling it out with the test driver saying if it was fuel starvation it would not start immediately like it does, then the immortal words were uttered......oh it always does once you turned the key off and back on again.

Aha... tried a new ecm and fault went away. 1200 miles of travelling, several attempts to cure it and me nearly having a mental breakdown, all because they neglected to tell me that it would start after turning off the power. I assumed it had been towed back to the garage when it failed..... aaaargh.

Moral of the story, your friend needs to tell the techie everything, no detail is too small. The problem with intermittent electrical faults is that when they work they are working and not showing a fault.

Last edited:

Graham Morris

Visit site
Hi , thanks for your reply. Sorry for delay, but desperate to get this sorted. It's wrecking my confidence with what otherwise is a cracking boat. Can u tell me if it's possible to find historic info, via ' the vodia' plug in even if I've cleared the info by turning engines off, then back on? The starboard engine just randomly drops revs to about a 1000rpm, at any given time, regardless of how much fuel or how long the engines have been running, and just idles until I switch everything off at the lower helm, and hey presto, fires up perfectly and runs fine for another hour or so!!!!
The boat is based in Porto petro, next to cala dor. Would I be able to bribe u sufficiently enough to pay a visit? I'll even come and pick u up if necessary. Thanks for the info and advice. GM