Volvo Dealer won't sell me green coolant!

SC35

Visit site
Had an interesting experience at the Volvo dealer today.

"Hi, please can I have a bottle of coolant for a D4 engine".
"What year?"
"2010"
"Green Coolant?"
"Yes"
"No"
"Errrr, sorry? Are you out of stock or something?"
"No we have been told we cannot sell the green coolant to you, as it has a toxin in it, and you might drink it. Our own engineers, however, are still able to use green coolant when they service an engine. Your only option is to flush out all the green coolant, rinse, and use yellow coolant".

I would guess this will also affect independent engineers as well, although I didn't specifically ask that question.

It feels like the thin end of the wedge to prevent owners doing any servicing themselves, also preventing litigation from people that have drunk coolant, drowned in oil, choked trying to eat an air filter or strangled themselves with a supercharger belt.

Last edited:

Portofino

Visit site
Take your trade elsewhere.Green Coolant is made from Ethylene Glycol and is also known as Inorganic Coolant.
https://www.autodoc.co.uk/mannol/16...CZIotjbavPbI82d62CUG450Wjt-p9KzxoCNKsQAvD_BwE

Bit like oil threads take your pic .

It’s probably an eco thingy in terms of accidental spillages and the fish floating to the surface of the Baltic caused by all the VP boats …..something like that I suspect as opposed to boaters drinking it .

Bouba

Visit site
Cars have for a long time warned you in the handbook not to drink the contents of the battery...but still sell you a battery

j3tpropelled

Visit site
That's about up there with fancy dress shops having to put labels on Superman costumes to tell the buyer that wearing it doesn't actually make them able to fly...

SC35

Visit site
Cars have for a long time warned you in the handbook not to drink the contents of the battery...but still sell you a battery

It's a bit harder to drink the contents of a sealed battery these days - you have to be quite determined.
Getting a Green Russian wrong is somewhat easier.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
We have fuel additives onboard. brick acid, anti freeze, various oils, various medicinal products etc etc etc. We don't drink any of them. We don't eat the seagull droppings on the foredeck or put our heads in the microwave, or feet in the props.

Your Volvo agent must either be desperate for some work, or he thinks you are a nut case ;)

Bouba

Visit site
Can I just add that by making green anti freeze banned because it contains a toxin...just makes me want to drink yellow anti freeze...because it must be safe

SC35

Visit site
We have fuel additives onboard. brick acid, anti freeze, various oils, various medicinal products etc etc etc. We don't drink any of them. We don't eat the seagull droppings on the foredeck or put our heads in the microwave, or feet in the props.

Your Volvo agent must either be desperate for some work, or he thinks you are a nut case ;)

They've even removed it from the web shop ... it's there, but you can't add it to your basket as a regular user.