Visa/log in and out?

Chris_Robb

Visit site
If you are in any EU Country you retain EU Vat status and UK vat status (ie have your cake and eat it - (attr M Barnier) . If you are in UK waters then you loosed EU27 Vat status. If you are anywhere round the world- other than uk waters it appears you retain both, but I would not want to prove this to anyone when you come to sell your boat - or perhaps the more difficult european authorities,

So have the boat in Europe on 31st dec 2020- simples....

wwalsh

Visit site
There are many Australian and New Zealand flagged boats cruising around Greece. The UK registered boats would be in the same position as Non-EU flag.

I was wondering about the friendly EU flags eg. Dutch, Poland, Slovenia. As Non-EU resident a Brit would not qualify without having an EU company to own the yacht. The previous typical solution was to open a cheap UK LTD to own the yacht but that would not be EU therefore not useful. The registration agents are now proposing to open an Irish LTD which is greatly more expensive when the Non-EU Brit owner requires an EU resident nominee director to be provided. But it is probably much cheaper than the eu options typically used by large yachts (cyprus, malta, luxembourg etc).

Chris_Robb

Visit site
There are many Australian and New Zealand flagged boats cruising around Greece. The UK registered boats would be in the same position as Non-EU flag.

I was wondering about the friendly EU flags eg. Dutch, Poland, Slovenia. As Non-EU resident a Brit would not qualify without having an EU company to own the yacht. The previous typical solution was to open a cheap UK LTD to own the yacht but that would not be EU therefore not useful. The registration agents are now proposing to open an Irish LTD which is greatly more expensive when the Non-EU Brit owner requires an EU resident nominee director to be provided. But it is probably much cheaper than the eu options typically used by large yachts (cyprus, malta, luxembourg etc).
I think it is a question of watch this space.

The transit log is an old bit of UCC customs code and is inconsistent with current VAT and duties.

Consider why a TL is needed for a UK yacht VAT paid in EU27. It has by law the right to free for circulation. It is the crew/!passengers that are the problem. So the right under UCC legislation would appear to be compromised.

This is under review at the moment in particularly with the Greeks. I am just writing to the EU commission to get an answer as well as it was about time the codified law was bought up to date.

Last edited:

Chris_Robb

Visit site
How the he'll do you edit your own posts..... I cannot see a edit button anymore and the edit under report take you to a blank screen.

Ha he
It's now worked.. must have done something wrong

RupertW

Visit site
If you are in any EU Country you retain EU Vat status and UK vat status (ie have your cake and eat it - (attr M Barnier) . If you are in UK waters then you loosed EU27 Vat status. If you are anywhere round the world- other than uk waters it appears you retain both, but I would not want to prove this to anyone when you come to sell your boat - or perhaps the more difficult european authorities,

So have the boat in Europe on 31st dec 2020- simples....
The existing legislation is what allows a boat to be declared EITHER UK or EU VAT registered but not both depending on where it is. The Conservatives has promised that they will allow UK boats in Europe to also remain UK VAT paid but there is no legislation yet. I’m sure it will be high up their agenda.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
The existing legislation is what allows a boat to be declared EITHER UK or EU VAT registered but not both depending on where it is. The Conservatives has promised that they will allow UK boats in Europe to also remain UK VAT paid but there is no legislation yet. I’m sure it will be high up their agenda.

In practice, boats will be UK and EU VAT paid if they're in the EU at time of Brexit and then return to the UK claiming RGR under the same ownership. As RGR is an EU law, the boat could then later return to EU still EU VAT paid, it wouldn't have been exported as such, just away cruising.

Last edited:

Chris_Robb

Visit site
In practice, boats will be UK and EU VAT paid if they're in the EU at time of Brexit and then return to the UK claiming RGR under the same ownership. As RGR is an EU law, the boat could then later return to EU still EU VAT paid, it wouldn't have been exported as such, just away cruising.
In reality, RGR was just used to fill an unexpected issue - that of EU27 boats being in UK waters and Disenfranchised. RGR was never ever used for bring back yachts , unless formally exported and then brought back. I have always held that to say a yacht is exported just by sailing round the year for 5 years is bo****cs. Exporting is a formal documented procedure. This is not!

So in reality I would stake my life - thats if I dont pick up corona virus in Haslemere - to say that no yacht will ever need to use it, not even after 5 or 6 years.

But dont dream of ruining your Vat status by selling in the UK. If you are explain to the buyer that you can take it to france and sign the deal there! Otherwise they will naturally think it will be UK vat only.

Irish Rover

Visit site
Is an EU VAT paid boat currently required to sign out or otherwise notify the authorities when it's temporarily leaving the EU e.g. a boat leaving Greece to come to Turkey for the winter?

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Is an EU VAT paid boat currently required to sign out or otherwise notify the authorities when it's temporarily leaving the EU e.g. a boat leaving Greece to come to Turkey for the winter?
Leaving for a non schengen country such as Turkey, you must follow the port of exit control process. Kos - its visit PP, fill in PBD cre list (they will give it to you , go the immigration and get the necessary stamps go back to PP and hand in your TL and have your PBD list stamped. As we have to carry fully skipper authorised crew/passenger list - it would be sensible to show that too or at least have it available as you are now required by Law to hold a list of all crew,Joining and leaving dates/Ports and signed by the skipper on each entry... Its what you should do anyway!

PS It doesnot take long

Irish Rover

Visit site
Leaving for a non schengen country such as Turkey, you must follow the port of exit control process. Kos - its visit PP, fill in PBD cre list (they will give it to you , go the immigration and get the necessary stamps go back to PP and hand in your TL and have your PBD list stamped. As we have to carry fully skipper authorised crew/passenger list - it would be sensible to show that too or at least have it available as you are now required by Law to hold a list of all crew,Joining and leaving dates/Ports and signed by the skipper on each entry... Its what you should do anyway!

PS It doesnot take long
Do you have to disclose your intended destination country?

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site

Have no idea what the technicalities may be but we travel between Spain, Gib and Morocco and just come and go without notifying anyone. May all change 31/12 if we have the 90/180 to contend with.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Have no idea what the technicalities may be but we travel between Spain, Gib and Morocco and just come and go without notifying anyone. May all change 31/12 if we have the 90/180 to contend with.
Graham other then Greece and Croatia I not come across another EU country that bother with any type of cruising or come to that TL , we have plenty of non EU friends and they just come and go as they please .
Most will stretch they days 90 to nearly 180 days before moving off , others have been in the EU much longer then they should . Some country's like Malta and Italy you almost got to beg them to stamp your passport .

Visit site
Thhere are plenty here with ssr boats who don't know but think that Portugal, at least will continue to be relaxed and heed Proverbs "Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof"

Visit site
Thhere are plenty here with ssr boats who don't know but think that Portugal, at least will continue to be relaxed and heed Proverbs "Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof"