VHF cable through deck

ridgy

Visit site
What's the best way to deal with this? Options seem to be either:
1. Deck socket
2. A gland with a slot cut in to the rubber to get the cable in and the plug below decks

I can't decide.

jac

Visit site
Avoid the Deck socket like the plague - swan neck or gland. Single run from Radio to antenna is best but possibly impractical. If not - make the connection with good quality components in a dry space

SlowlyButSurely

Visit site
Definitely have the connection below deck. In my experience all deck sockets leak sooner or later.

A swan neck is my preference, you can then wrap it in self amalgamating tape for a guaranteed water tight job.

slawosz

Visit site
One piece of cable definetely. I 3d printed my gland. If you have chance, you can get proper antenna with proper RX8 cable instead of RG58 - less loss in the system.

PetiteFleur

Visit site
Definitely item 2 - get the deck gland from Index Marine who have one that accepts the large connector on the end of the cable. Or use an inline connector to join the cables below deck. The deck connectors are awful, they are a PITA.

jamie N

Visit site
I use these, and am very happy with them. I used similar stuff on underwater equipment and much prefer this to the through deck options, which all work to varying degrees. The other items will wear more swiftly through use, whereas a connector is designed to be connected/disconnected/reconnected. A lot depends on where they're sited in relation to the mast, the halyards and the other stuff on our boats.

PabloPicasso

Visit site
Last edited:

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
Or if you want something that you can stand on, won't catch genoa sheets and will take all the other cables (and their plugs) from the mast as well, then look into the Elvabro AB Cableport.

Available from SVB..

Stainless Steel Deck Cable Lead-Thru only 105,95 € | SVB

View attachment 155171

Another endorsement! I use the item above and would recommend it. It acts very similar to a dorado vent, the hole inside (which has the dorado style up-stand to keep water out, is about 40 mm across. All my mast wires, including a VHF plug fit through. It has been water tight for at least 6 years now. Great piece of kit and beats a swans neck hands down. Makes removing the mast easy as all the cable connectors remain intact when disconnected from their plugs.

slawosz

Visit site
Or you could 3d print one for like 5p ;) Not as pretty as one from the shop, but works very well. The hole in the deck is larger than PL259 and have one length or RG8X cable.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-05-24 at 12.43.26.png
    Screenshot 2023-05-24 at 12.43.26.png
    473.5 KB · Views: 6

Refueler

Visit site
I use these, and am very happy with them. I used similar stuff on underwater equipment and much prefer this to the through deck options, which all work to varying degrees. The other items will wear more swiftly through use, whereas a connector is designed to be connected/disconnected/reconnected. A lot depends on where they're sited in relation to the mast, the halyards and the other stuff on our boats.

Yes they are good - but guy wants a VHF connector - not a 4 wire plug / socket.

I have an Marine Co-Ax deck socket that has screw plug / socket and a serious rubber boot that goes over the lot to touch and seal to deck. Its been in use by prev owner and then my over 25yrs ...
All I do is each year give it a brush up and touch of vaseline to keep it good through winter when disconnected. Never leaked ... VSWR is good ...