VHF/AIS splitter.

jamie N

Visit site
I'm going over to the dark side, and purchasing a GRP boat. I'm going to be fitting a McMurdo M10 AIS transponder transferred from my present boat, and wish to use the existing mast head VHF antenna, which will require a splitter.
Is this Glomex unit any good?

Bilgediver

Visit site
I'm going over to the dark side, and purchasing a GRP boat. I'm going to be fitting a McMurdo M10 AIS transponder transferred from my present boat, and wish to use the existing mast head VHF antenna, which will require a splitter.

Most splitters are designed for protecting a receiving only AIS device from damage caused by a sharing transmitting device. You will need a splitter to be suitable where both connected devices are transmitting, devices.for your transponder.

Not a route I would go as a simple antenna for the ais costs no more and much less risk of damage should things go wrong.

Refueler

Visit site

That Glomex is not suitable for your Transponder as it hasn't got provision for AIS Tx out .. only caters for AIS receive.

You need to have a splitter that caters for VHF Tx / Rx .... and ... AIS Tx / Rx .....

You can get in Passive form - basically unpowered such as Matsutek .. Onwa etc.

or in Active form - that is powered to compensate for power losses ... such as Quark etc.

samfieldhouse

Visit site
If you are only receiving AIS it will be fine.
If you are transmitting on a transponder then no, it will not work and may damage your equipment. Do not use.

There are not many AIS transmitter splitters and you’ll notice they are four times the price. This is one.

I just have a separate ais aerial. It’s on the Bimini arch and can pick up the entire Solent from Bramble.

Personally I’d recommend a wiser investment would be upgrading both your VHF and AIS aerials to RG8x cable and corresponding Glomex aerials.

srm

Visit site
Easier to give the AIS its own antenna. It does not need to be at the masthead, mine was on the stern gantry but a short pole on the pushpit would work just as well. Then it can also double up as a spare VHF antenna should the worst happen provided that you leave enough cable to reach the VHF.
I prefer all my instruments to be independent and stand alone, but that's just me having seen how many things can go wrong while working in the marine environment.

jamie N

Visit site
Many thanks, I'm an idiot in only just having noticed the "AIS receiver only" on the blurb!
On my present boat the AIS antenna is 1/2 way up the mast, with the VHF antenna at mast head. The most cost effective and efficient way right now is to mount the AIS antenna on the pushpit, alongside the active radar reflector, which is also being liberated from my Folkboat.

jaminb

Visit site
What would be the easiest / cheaperst way to rig up a separate AIS transmitter / receiver to the Navionics on my Samsung tablet.

I have an existing Raymarine system with AIS receive only through the VHF but I expect it will be very expensive to upgrade this so looking at a cheap an alternative to have transmit and wireless AIS on the tablet.

Thanks

Refueler

Visit site
Use a NMEA multiplexer with WiFi.
Signal comes out of the VHF and into the multiplexer.
The multiplexer then broadcasts it over WiFi.
Or just use a WiFi ais device

The cheapest and best device to provide the data as WiFi / USB / NMEA is the NMEA4WiFi device by Vela-navega ... about 50 euros ... if you just want to develop your existing setup

But .... taking jaminb post >

I have an existing Raymarine system with AIS receive only through the VHF but I expect it will be very expensive to upgrade this so looking at a cheap an alternative to have transmit and wireless AIS on the tablet.

There is no way to get that to Tx AIS .. that's a Rx only unit .....
If you want to have both Rx and Tx .. then no option but to replace that unit. I would suggest that as long as its in good working order - someone would buy it off you - partly covering cost of replacement unit.
There are many brands of AIS Transponders out there ... some budget - some expensive ... but at end of day - very few reports of any failing. Personally I think separate AIS units will become less over time as they get relegated to - retrofit items. For those who have general installations on boats and no wish to change the gear. I think that we will see more brands come on board to the integrated Plotter / AIS as happened with Plotter / Fish Finders ..

Here's an Onwa unit - B+ so its latest and 5W ... budget priced >

Onwa KS200A AIS 'Black Box' Class B+ transceiver

Then there's Quark ... quite a jump in price ...

QK-A051T WiFi AIS Transponder - Quark-elec - NMEA 2000 & Marine electronics

Just two examples.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Here's an Onwa unit - B+ so its latest and 5W ... budget priced >

Onwa KS200A AIS 'Black Box' Class B+ transceiver

Then there's Quark ... quite a jump in price ...

QK-A051T WiFi AIS Transponder - Quark-elec - NMEA 2000 & Marine electronics

Just two examples.
Onwa with a GPS costs £353.50, plus a splitter £79.50 = £532.50 Add the N2K converter for another £170 and it's up to £702.50

The Emtrak B953 is B+, NMEA 0183, N2K, built in splitter, built in GPS, USB, multiplexer and costs £689

Quark costs £504.63, has wifi, but is only class B. Splitter is £199.92, GPS £99.24 takes it to £803.55 Add their N2K converter at £240 and it's up to £1043.55 ! The £240 converter does include a multiplexer, but the Emtraks multiplex too. Even using the "mini" N2K converter with just single 0183 input to N2K, which costs £102.06 makes the total costs £905.61

The Emtrak B924 costs just £855. The B+ B954 costs £945 Both have built in GPS and splitters, WIFI, Bluetooth, USB and multiplex.

So if you compare something with similar features the budget models come out at more money, with less features and a lot more hassle fitting multiple boxes.

jaminb

Visit site
Thank you bith. So could I take out my current receiver and replace with the Quark? I already have the gps aerial and splitter. Is the N2K convertor to talk to the NMEA (is that seatalk?), it is not shown on the installation diagram.

Would the Emtrak be easier to install?

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Thank you bith. So could I take out my current receiver and replace with the Quark? I already have the gps aerial and splitter. Is the N2K convertor to talk to the NMEA (is that seatalk?), it is not shown on the installation diagram.

Would the Emtrak be easier to install?
Isn't your splitter receive only ?

An Emtrak will definitely be easier to install then fitting an AIS, splitter, external GPS, N2K converter (if needed) and a wifi converter, what a mess. The Emtrak is a single box that does all of that and more and actually costs less.

jaminb

Visit site
Ah thanks Paul, didn't appreciate that splitters were rx and tx. Will have a look at the Emtrak thanks

Refueler

Visit site
Onwa with a GPS costs £353.50, plus a splitter £79.50 = £532.50 Add the N2K converter for another £170 and it's up to £702.50

The Emtrak B953 is B+, NMEA 0183, N2K, built in splitter, built in GPS, USB, multiplexer and costs £689

Quark costs £504.63, has wifi, but is only class B. Splitter is £199.92, GPS £99.24 takes it to £803.55 Add their N2K converter at £240 and it's up to £1043.55 ! The £240 converter does include a multiplexer, but the Emtraks multiplex too. Even using the "mini" N2K converter with just single 0183 input to N2K, which costs £102.06 makes the total costs £905.61

The Emtrak B924 costs just £855. The B+ B954 costs £945 Both have built in GPS and splitters, WIFI, Bluetooth, USB and multiplex.

So if you compare something with similar features the budget models come out at more money, with less features and a lot more hassle fitting multiple boxes.

Very nice ...

Not everyone wants or needs N2K

Why use the ONWA N2K converter ? NMEA4WiFi will convert all to WiFi for about 50 quid ...

I know you like to shoot holes in me ... but really !

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Very nice ...

Not everyone wants or needs N2K

Why use the ONWA N2K converter ? NMEA4WiFi will convert all to WiFi for about 50 quid ...

I know you like to shoot holes in me ... but really !
Leave the N2K converter off and the Onwa is £532.50 (as above) and the Quark is £803.55 (again, as above)

Both options are then short of N2K, no multiplex facility, multiple boxes, hassle of fitting external GPS etc and neither is hardly the bargain that you say they are.

Like for like they fall short and cost more money.

johnphilip

Visit site
Just upgrading from receive only to class B, TX and receive. Previously had AIS antenna on a pole clamped to the puspit but getting the Garmin 800 which has a built in splitter so copes with Tx as well. I now have the option to use splitter or stern mounted aerial and the latter is a good reserve if the masthead one fails (as it has in the past) Retailer recommended these as well made and better than a separate splitter, slightly cheaper than buying both

darrylp

Visit site
I've got the exact same McMurdo M10 AIS , and use the Vesper marine SP160 splitter, works fine with my radio, it give priority to the VHF if both want to transmi.t as exact same time.

Darryl

wingcommander

Visit site
Looking at ais myself at the moment. Am I correct in thinking classB is really only beneficial to boats travelling at 14+ knots . Ish