ventilation onboard

Sailingsaves

Visit site
May I ask (and thank in advance for any replies) what type of ventilation you have onboard?

When I had a cruiser it was simple mushroom vents.

I have seen some solar powered vents on boats (are these common though?). These suck air out of boat. The driest boat in winter that I ever worked on had a single solar vent (small boat).

Dorado vents and mushroom vents all require the boat to move or the wind to blow in order to vent a boat (on the whole), but the solar vent will work in a dead calm I suppose.

Thanks for any replies.

Binman

Visit site
I have a 4inch vertical cowl vent on my Pandora 700 and have never suffered any mildew, bilge always dry, headlining, cushions, no condensation, boat been on the water for nearly a year, shut up I might add, as I have been to ill to use it. Thankfully that has now changed, have arranged to get it to scrubbing posts shortly, So the deck cowl for me really works.

VicS

Visit site
May I ask (and thank in advance for any replies) what type of ventilation you have onboard?

When I had a cruiser it was simple mushroom vents.

I have seen some solar powered vents on boats (are these common though?). These suck air out of boat. The driest boat in winter that I ever worked on had a single solar vent (small boat).

Dorado vents and mushroom vents all require the boat to move or the wind to blow in order to vent a boat (on the whole), but the solar vent will work in a dead calm I suppose.

Thanks for any replies.

Solar powered vents have been discussed on here before , several times.

Opinions on them are very varied

A search or two, using the Google advanced search option, should find some of the previous discussions.

Pye_End

Visit site
Solar vent works well on my boat. But - haven't found one yet that lasts and lasts. One of these days I will try a mushroom instead and see how effective it is.

yerffoeg

Visit site
Agree with above. Solar vents are good for the heads in particular, while they last, which is not long. Sometimes they can be revived with a squirt of WD 40. I can only speak for the EC Smith type (now discontinued , I think).

RobbieW

Visit site
3 Mushrooms; one in each head, one in the forward cabin. 2 x dorades in the saloon left pointing in prevailing wind direction when tied up. The head vents used to have fans but I stripped those out as they had failed. Seems to keep the boat dry through the winter in the med.

William_H

Visit site
OP does not say why he needs ventilation. Is it to reduce humidity when locked up, or for cooling when living on board or for ventilation when cooking or similar heating. The little computer fans are so cheap. If you don't have an old computer or power supply hanging around. They run on 12v. One or more set up in a vent or duct could effectively ventilate areas of concern. The current drain can be quite low so run off ships battery. The savings compoare dto solar vents go towrds solar PV panels for the battery.
For myself I have a forward opening front hatch and a specially shaped bit of wood to hold it just open by an inch or so and a method of securing the hatch down for security locking. But ventilation has never been a concern.
good luck olewill