Vendee Globe and Alex Thomson / Hugo Boss

Frogmogman

Visit site
Potentially exciting news for Pip on today’s Vendée live.

Leslie Stretch, CEO of Pip’s sponsor Medallia revealed his delight with the English skipper’s project and the return to his US headquartered Silicon Valley company.
Connecting with 18th placed Hare he chuckled,
“What’s next Pip? Let’s get to the end and go shopping for a new boat shall we? Let’s do that!”

I hope this means that in 2024 she will be back in a competitive boat. She totally deserves it, having done brilliantly in this race, proving competitive on a shoestring budget in one of the oldest boats, and being one if the best communicators in the fleet.

It’s great when you see someone bring a new sponsor into sailing, for them to be so happy with their return, that they want to take it further. This is what Louis Burton did; Bureau Vallée started as his sponsor in Open 40 for the Route du Rhum in 2010, and as his career has progressed, and their company has grown, they have accompanied him with bigger budgets and better boats.

westhinder

Visit site
This edition of the Vendée has been full to the brim of wonderful stories, and Pip’s certainly is one of them. The way she has dealt with her setbacks is tremendous, her fighting spirit and the way she has kept laughing literally through her tears deserve nothing but great respect and affection.
And how would you qualify Damien Seguin’s race? Words fail me to express my admiration for him. To do what he has done and still be in the mix for the podium in a boat of the older generation and with only one hand, is nothing short of superhuman.
We have potentially six or seven boats within 100 miles of each other after a race of some 28,300 NM. If my maths is correct, that’s a margin of 0.3%, that is astonishing.

Bathdave

Visit site
Useless piece of info: if Boris wins he will have never actually have lead the race at any point.
Since AT dropped out Boris has been my preference to win ...I have just loved his pieces to camera, how he approaches the race

he said at the cape he had chisen to sail conservatively to protect his boat, and that he would finally start pushing on the last leg

my instinct is that he will actually win, as he has shown good speed and good tactics over the last few days and he does have some relief time in the bag as well

E39mad

Visit site
With less than 500 miles to go it's currently on a knife edge between Dalin and Hermann. Hermann is 85 miles behind with a 6 hour time allowance. If winds go lighter than predicted in Biscay could be Dalin's win.

Bathdave

Visit site
With less than 500 miles to go it's currently on a knife edge between Dalin and Hermann. Hermann is 85 miles behind with a 6 hour time allowance. If winds go lighter than predicted in Biscay could be Dalin's win.
I am hoping for a Boris win

I think Burton is in a pretty good position too...if I remember correctly he took a 4 hour penalty at the beginning for being a few seconds over at the start ...he didn’t need to be and I wondered why he did that

he may well rue those 4 hours on Wednesday !

flaming

Visit site
I am hoping for a Boris win

I think Burton is in a pretty good position too...if I remember correctly he took a 4 hour penalty at the beginning for being a few seconds over at the start ...he didn’t need to be and I wondered why he did that

he may well rue those 4 hours on Wednesday !
That won't have hurt him. It didn't make the difference between making a weather system or not. Given the light wind park ups they all had in the SO, he couldn't have been any further ahead.

E39mad

Visit site
That won't have hurt him. It didn't make the difference between making a weather system or not. Given the light wind park ups they all had in the SO, he couldn't have been any further ahead.

I agree the four penalty would not have hurt him so early in the race but he did spend 8 to 12 hours in the lea of an island in the Southern Ocean when he was up with the leaders. He seems to go off on flyers and I realise it's ifs and buts but could have gone a different way up the Atlantic than Bestaven and have a good lead.

Frogmogman

Visit site
Interesting that Alex Thomson’s analysis has line honours to Charlie Dalin, but 1st place being extremely tight between Boris and Yannick, maybe by as little as 20 minutes ! (From about 2:15)

TLouth7

Visit site
Well the Northern strategy seems to have really paid off overnight, though you would be crazy to bet against Charlie Dalin for line honours. I'd say it's going to come down to whether Yannick's extra time allowance puts him ahead of Boris; the strengthening wind in the bay of Biscay should help him with that.

I had hoped Le Cam would be in with a shot, but he's more than a day's run behind the leaders so I think that rules him out.

E39mad

Visit site
Agree Dalin looks good for line honours. It looks like it will be between Boris and Yannick though for the overall win. Boris currently edging it but it's going to be very tight.