Vasiliki - New Marina?

Davy_S

Visit site
They were still working on it last June, not been since, the depths when completed are supposed to be 4.5 meters, but i have not heard any updates, sorry.

Martin_J

Visit site
As of a couple weeks ago they were just dumping stones into the sea to create a big outer breakwater. I'd say there was no anchoring nearby due to dredgers and equipment going back and forth between there and the shore all day.

nickf

Visit site
As of 8/6/17 entrance to old harbour has 2.2 metres at entrance if keeping close to end of mole. 2.4 or so when inside. There is a shoal patch to West of entrance marked with plastic bottles. The 'new' southerly harbour is accessible. Yachts are able to go stern to the Quay outside Mirrimar Taverna. Depths here are well over 3 metres.

jordanbasset

Visit site
Spoke to the guy collecting money for staying on the original harbour quay (5 euros a night for 10 m boat for info), he said the marina was due to be finished in 3 months, I doubt it will but who knows. They have built the marina buildings and are progressing the breakwater, but in the three days we were there work seemed very much stop/start.
I did ask who would be running the marina. Apparently it is being built by the Government and then will be put out to tender to see who would run it. Again not convinced this will not end up another dead marina filled up with local/dead boats, but time will tell.

jordanbasset

Visit site

jordanbasset

Visit site
In Vassiliki, new Marina seems to be coming along. As I thought not finished in three months! Although now told it will be done by the end of the season, not convinced. Although there is much more activity goingh on nos with JCB's and dumper trucks rumbling all day

vass1.jpg
vass2.jpg
vass3.jpg

RupertW

Visit site
I live it as a place to anchor and dinghy ashore - fierce winds during the afternoon so few boats but great holding then a lovely quiet night and morning

alexsailor

Visit site
I was there once and the wind blew 30+ knots in the afternoon.
I guess I am going there again. where is the best place to anchor (mind the wind and the windsurfers)?

jordanbasset

Visit site
If you want to anchor most of the bay is suitable, not to deep, most favour being closer to the harbour/new marina You will have windsurfers and dinghys coming around you but that is part of the fun. It will blow in there most afternoons, they call the wind Eric it comes from the west and funnels down the hillside on the opposite side of the harbour. It can be strong but there is plenty of room to let out lots of chain and good holding,so should be no problem. Normally dies dow late afternoon/early evening.
Alternatively you can go stern to in the old harbour but you are charged there now. There is 'free water' on the quay

RupertW

Visit site
If you want to anchor most of the bay is suitable, not to deep, most favour being closer to the harbour/new marina You will have windsurfers and dinghys coming around you but that is part of the fun. It will blow in there most afternoons, they call the wind Eric it comes from the west and funnels down the hillside on the opposite side of the harbour. It can be strong but there is plenty of room to let out lots of chain and good holding,so should be no problem. Normally dies dow late afternoon/early evening.
Alternatively you can go stern to in the old harbour but you are charged there now. There is 'free water' on the quay

Agree with all of that and the windsurfers appreciate it if you stay over towards the town harbour side of the bay so they can do their thing unimpeded. I really like the town and the atmosphere during the speed guys season.

BobnJan

Visit site
I am over looking the marina this morning and it doesnt look like it is operational yet. There are yachts moored right up to the new quays but it is fenced off. The operational buildings look very close to completion (I assume showers etc.) There are new water and electricity outlets but no one is connected so i assume they arent operational yet. The old harbour was pretty full last night with a couple of chareter fleets. Half a dozen yachts at anchor near the harbour wall.

grafozz

Visit site
I was there last weds and the old wall was quite full , the works look finished .You can anchor inside the new breakwaters , the beach anchorage has really good holding ,
, preferable in my opinion, much quieter .