Unsupported row around UK

fredrussell

Visit site
Helluva thing to do but am I the only one that is disappointed to find that they’re not using a manky auld 8ft fibreglass job with badly repaired gunwales and mismatched rowlocks? You know, the kind lent up in the racks of your local boatyard?

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
I think that might well be, in purely rowing terms, more challenging than rowing across the Atlantic. Obviously they won't have the isolation/distance from help issues, but they're carrying all their provisions, and the winds and currents are less likely to be favourable. (Unless they do a lot of night rowing to make best use fo the tides and generally calmer night winds?)

jamie N

Visit site
I've chatted with 'him' on a couple of occasions as he sometimes was at Wick Harbour office, and he seemed a very nice guy. Good luck to them both.

Old Thady

Visit site
There's 'rowing' and 'rowing'.

The fitness and determination required for an oar-powered circumnavigation of Britain might actually be be less of a demand than the emotional stamina needed to sustain an argument the whole way around.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
The chap who paddled round Scotland met some amazing people and had tonnes of cake donated.

Hope they calculate their tidal gets well. Is there a MMSI for the boat?

As for vessel type, not sure if pleasure vessel fits the bill.

LittleSister

Visit site
Does the tracking thing in that above link work for anyone? for me it just sits there with a spinning "i'm busy" sort of thing never showing any position or track.

Seemed that way to me at first, but it's just that the tracker interface is poorly designed. It's not obvious, but access it by
- going to the menu (stripey) symbol top right of the map,
- then clicking 'All Time'
- then clicking 'Stormy & Steth'
the relevant map with track appears.

It's currently showing them approaching Fraserburgh doing 2.2. knots at 10.30 this (Sunday 2nd) morning, having set off before noon yesterday and been going all night.

Last edited:

ProDave

Alness / Black Isle Northern Scottish Highlands.
Visit site
Seemed that way to me at first, but it's just that the tracker interface is poorly designed. It's not obvious, but access it by
- going to the menu (stripey) symbol top right of the map,
- then clicking 'All Time'
- then clicking 'Stormy & Steth'
the relevant map with track appears.

It's currently showing them approaching Fraserburgh doing 2.2. knots at 10.30 this (Sunday 2nd) morning, having set off before noon yesterday and been going all night.
Thank you. Not very intuitive.

Just off Fraserburgh now, Westerly wind at the moment will keep them off Ratteray head, and be an offshore wind down the east cost most of this week ahead.

Last edited:

LittleSister

Visit site
. . . an offshore wind down the east cost most of this week ahead.

At least that will keep the seas down for them, largely avoiding the effects of a long fetch and wind against tide.

If only they had some means of capturing the power of that wind to help propel them along. 😁

jamie N

Visit site
Just seen her 'very close' to Cruden Bay, with the last AIS transmission at 23:37 yesterday?
1717393122107.png1717396874346.png
Looks like they've anchored in Cruden Bay overnight.

Last edited: