'Uncertain of position'

DownWest

Visit site
When we started sailing in the early '90s we didn't have gps so everything was chartwork. These days, I still prefer to use charts to plan passages, then put destinations and waypoints into the gps. Quite often with hardly any cross tide to worry about here, just let the gps into autohelm get on with it. Positions still noted on chart from time to time, particularly if we're out of sight of land.
Bit earlier than you, but found the aero beacon by Faro quite handy with a Seafix when coming back from Gib in '77.

Oh, and a bit earlier, in '69 we had a radio with an antenna on the top that rotated to find the null point. Only problem on that voyage, no info on where the stations were. My crew set to, as we were approaching the French coast, only to find we were inland.. He guessed that the radio stations were near the towns that sounded similar, not so ..

Last edited:

WindyWindyWindy

Visit site
I still like to have a look at a new marina on Google sat view mostly to get an idea of the mooring arrangements, but if street view is available it's handy for identifying landmarks too.

I guess that counts as electronic navigation...

zoidberg

Visit site
'Navigation does not happen on a chart table. It happens between the ears.'

Among the many 'obscure' Lines of Position I've used over the years are included the sight and direction of the BA Helicopter out of Penzance heading for Scilly St Marys and passing overhead, when we were in sea fog......

The Brittany Ferries boat 'Armorique' out of Plymouth and heading for Roscoff, encountered mid-channel.....

johnalison

Visit site

Among the many 'obscure' Lines of Position I've used over the years are included the sight and direction of the BA Helicopter out of Penzance heading for Scilly St Marys and passing overhead, when we were in sea fog......

The Brittany Ferries boat 'Armorique' out of Plymouth and heading for Roscoff, encountered mid-channel.....
When doing our first Channel crossing in 1978, in fog, we relied on steering in the general direction of where the hovercraft appeared to be going or coming from, judging from the sound we heard.

lustyd

Visit site
Thank goodness that these days we can reliably steer a course to avoid ferry routes in fog rather than aim for the danger!

Spirit (of Glenans)

Visit site

"...only charted objects should be used...."?

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
Slightly off topic, but I am concerned about the number of land based waypoints, also known as pubs, that have been disappearing from our streets.

Long gone are the days that I could follow a route littered with delightful waypoints such as, The Crown, The White Lion, The Red Lion and The Bridge (I particularly like the one in Topsham).

Given the ongoing debate about the use of pyrotechnics I really should visit the Pyrotechnists Arms.

zoidberg

Visit site
Long gone are the days that I could follow a route littered with delightful waypoints such as, The Crown, The White Lion, The Red Lion and The Bridge (I particularly like the one in Topsham).

Given the ongoing debate about the use of pyrotechnics I really should visit the Pyrotechnists Arms.

I approve the principle.... but it's a long walk from the moorings. :cool:

glynd

Visit site
In all the pan-pans and occasional maydays that I hear each year, I would say that every single one of them gives the position in lat/long. I can't remember the last time I heard someone say something like "one mile south-west of Long Sand Head". Come to think of it, the coastguard, probably in Bangalore for all I know, wouldn't know Long Sand Head from Cape Horn.

I was once in need to calling an ambulance, when walking down charing cross road on a windy day we saw a window come off its hinges and hit a passer by.
The ambulance services wanted a postcode - they didn't know where charing cross road in London was.

Daydream believer

Visit site
I was once in need to calling an ambulance, when walking down charing cross road on a windy day we saw a window come off its hinges and hit a passer by.
The ambulance services wanted a postcode - they didn't know where charing cross road in London was.
Yes, some years ago I reported a dinghy sailor in trouble in the River Blackwater & the CG did not know where that was. The CG then asked if the helmsman of the dinghy (a laser ) had VHF & could contact them direct. The bloke was swimming in the water at the time round an upturned craft & no one was about to assist him. The CG seemed none too concerned, as if I was expected to undertake a rescue. Even though I explained that I was single handed on a 31 ft yacht.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
Yes, some years ago I reported a dinghy sailor in trouble in the River Blackwater & the CG did not know where that was. The CG then asked if the helmsman of the dinghy (a laser ) had VHF & could contact them direct. The bloke was swimming in the water at the time round an upturned craft & no one was about to assist him. The CG seemed none too concerned, as if I was expected to undertake a rescue. Even though I explained that I was single handed on a 31 ft yacht.
Surely, you must have stopped and invited the dinghy sailor on-board for a cup of tea?

Daydream believer

Visit site
Surely, you must have stopped and invited the dinghy sailor on-board for a cup of tea?
No he drifted on to the mud. Sorted himself out. He had lost his boom. He then walked for a bit then managed to sail down wind to Bradwell waterside from the west. I went the otherside of the island & met him coming in before I went into the marina.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
.....and, if a 'cynical Scottish retired', then claimed salvage on the Laser dinghy! :ROFLMAO:
Naaa, I'd have no use for it. Hate getting my bum wet ?

A few years ago on the Exe I was crewing for a pal in his Squib. I was on the helm when Rodger spotted a large log about 50 metres downstream and suggested we do a MOB drill. His intention was to come alongside the log, but I had other ideas, rolled over the transom leaving my crewmate sat by the mast with two sheets in his hands heading towards Exmouth at speed; the look on his face was a picture. He recovered well and I was onboard within five minutes. Cost me a few pints in the Bridge and we still laugh about it when we meet up.

Not been in a dinghy since.

johnalison

Visit site
That is the last thing I would contemplate. Even helping a fellow sailor at sea. So long as the crew ended up safe & said thanks, then I would feel that the day went well.
It is quite nice when they thank you no doubt. We came upon a flooded dinghy in the Haringvliet one murky day. I got into the dinghy which was about 15’. Water was coming in the centreboard case, so I stuffed his sail into the casing and started bailing with my bucket. After some while we were winning and got the boat sailable again, when he departed without a word. I did a quick calculation and decided that I’d moved the best part of a ton of water.