'Uncertain of position'

Supertramp

Visit site
Hmmm. Bit different on the West Coast of Scotland, a thick day with 1/2 mile visibility, an onshore wind and children's puzzle clues like "keep the prominent white rock in line with dark heather patch" or similar.

Capsensible's patience comment is good - instead of flying in to a destination at top speed you have to take stock, double check and feel your way in slowly, perhaps with dinghy reconnaissance if needed. Those techniques let you use and discover places that don't have an anchor symbol.

zoidberg

Visit site
Bit different on the West Coast of Scotland, a thick day with 1/2 mile visibility, an onshore wind and children's puzzle clues like "keep the prominent white rock in line with dark heather patch" or similar.

Interesting to have a peek at 'Hermit's RIN page -
  • Risk and impact assessment tools

....and muse to myself that the impact assessment would likely involve the boat sinking.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
Here its so much easier

Leave Sydney, get out to the 100 fathom line and there is nothing in the way till you get to Storm Bay - all you need to do is, keep the sun at your back, count lighthouses and turn right - and you are at Hobart.

The big blue emptiness needs a bit more paper and pencil.
I had a acquaintance who did something like that, but failed to miss Plymouth Breakwater! It was completed in 1840 and should be on a chart.

SaltyC

Visit site
Well, it makes one alternative to the perennial 'anchor arguments'.... and, and.... news and RNLI reports from around our shores would seem to challenge the other bit.

As for the now-restricted supply of free 2B pencils... the traditional source - and some would say the best - is IKEA, followed by Argos and Toolstation.
There are, of course, some agricultural navigators who prefer to plot using a carpenter's pencil. Others prefer the precision of a Staedler 0.5mm Fineline propelling pencil.
Sorry to be pedantic but you need to go to 0.7mm staedler to get 2B leads, a sacrifice on accuracy but the Staedler rubber will remove from the chart unlike the 0.5mm harder lead.

lustyd

Visit site
I feel like this thread is based on the completely flawed assumption that most boaters need to navigate. They don't any more than car drivers do, and most will quite happily drive the boat out, do a bit of fishing, swimming, drinking, whatever, then return to marina and park. They'll stay between the channel markers and avoid the cardinals, and they'll be safe enough even if anchoring thanks to the depth gauge.

Some people used to carry a road atlas, but local drivers never needed those. The same is true in boating.

Edit to add: for those who do need to navigate, boaters have always used the best solution available. The real question is what to do when GPS fails and charts are no longer printed and you don't have a current almanac on board (or it got wet). The answer is very probably a phone app that can navigate by the stars. ICBMs have been doing it for decades with very little processing power.

Last edited:

lustyd

Visit site
Aren’t pension and other financial investments indirectly dependent on GPS providing time stamps for trading and thereby potentially having a far greater impact of future sailing dreams?
No, not for at least a decade, and even then we used radio backups, Internet time, local hardware clocks etc. to confirm the time was correct.

capnsensible

Visit site
I feel like this thread is based on the completely flawed assumption that most boaters need to navigate. They don't any more than car drivers do, and most will quite happily drive the boat out, do a bit of fishing, swimming, drinking, whatever, then return to marina and park. They'll stay between the channel markers and avoid the cardinals, and they'll be safe enough even if anchoring thanks to the depth gauge.

Some people used to carry a road atlas, but local drivers never needed those. The same is true in boating.

Edit to add: for those who do need to navigate, boaters have always used the best solution available. The real question is what to do when GPS fails and charts are no longer printed and you don't have a current almanac on board (or it got wet). The answer is very probably a phone app that can navigate by the stars. ICBMs have been doing it for decades with very little processing power.
I'm fairly with you on this one but most leisure vessel users generally learn to navigate first, then discard what they don't need later. Certainly for local pleasure sailing, I know where I am all the time. As you point out, that's the majority.

A quick look at vessel finder, for example, however, shows gazillions of yachts off exploring. Bet they are mostly using GPS. And some will be plotting regular fixes on their charts just in case. I see that people are far more wary in unknown waters.

I'm also understanding the star thing.....I've been briefed on icbm navigation many tides ago. But if your phone app fails and you are more than, usually, 15 miles or so offshore there is an alternative way to navigate by stars....... :D

sarabande

Visit site
As for the now-restricted supply of free 2B pencils... the traditional source - and some would say the best - is IKEA, followed by Argos and Toolstation.
There are, of course, some agricultural navigators who prefer to plot using a carpenter's pencil. Others prefer the precision of a Staedler 0.5mm Fineline propelling pencil.

As an agricultural user, intermittently, of GPS, I hasten to mention that I once was on a saily boat where paper charts were the primary naviguessing method. The owner had an enormous supply of 2B pencils, but they were all circular in cross section, rather than rectangular or hexagonal.

The wanderlust of these items was terrific.

RupertW

Visit site
one foolproof method is to adjacent your boat to were you think you should be and ask any passing fisherman,worked for me?
My father liked that approach but i remember just how unhelpful it can be. Once when we were 16 hours in fog somewhere between Dartmouth and the Needles we saw a fishing boat and he shouted out, “How far are we from land?”, before they disappeared into the murk. The answer didn’t help.

Frank Holden

Visit site
I think the skill that has been lost is pilotage. People will believe the screen rather than look out the window.

Approaching Port Phillip Heads very early one morning some years ago. 'World's youngest ( at the time ) solo non stop around the world' sailor is hove to off the entrance. He calls Lonsdale - Lonsdale asks him for his position. Instead of saying something like ' 5 miles south east of the entrance' he rattles off Lat and Long to ------ three decimal places of a minute of arc.

In his case - and he is not alone - he was lacking both in pilotage savvy and a true understanding of what his instruments were telling him.