ULTRAFLEX AV Hatch lifters (12V) issue

About Time

Visit site
Hi,

I have two of these hatch lifters 12V serving my engine hatch. Everytime I open (or for that matter close) the hatch it is always a little complicated.... Hitting the up or down key does not do the job in one go. I push the key and the lifters will work for 2-5 seconds and then stop - same scenario both ways. Sometime also at very slow speed..... One thing I have noticed is that the lifters ALWAYS start again once I hit the key after they have stopped. Can someone give me an idea what to look for ? As this is a twin installation of lifters I think it cannot be the motors in the lifters as it will not be obvious that both motors break or start to behave strangely at the same time. My hatch is not that heavy (not light though) but I should think that one lifter could move the hatch on it own - maybe slowly but still steady. I think two lifters only serve for safety. Let me please know if someone has a good idea how to start trouble shooting.

See lifters in attachment. Thanks guys.

Attachments

• engine hatch lifters.jpg
    engine hatch lifters.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 2

Prhperio

Visit site
Sorry if this is stating the obvious but it isn't simply a case of needing to hold the button down for as long as they are working and you're pressing and releasing? I hesitated to post this but heard recently of an owner on a large Sunseeker thinking his passarelle wasn't working and that was the problem. You don't say in your post if you're new to this gear and I don't know if that's the proper way to work the actuators but don't want to not mention something that might give you an " ah ha" moment!

Fish Face

Visit site
Curious what you solution was for this problem. I have the same issue and am fairly sure i have a power issue. But If you could share what you found it may save me some time.

Thanks

About Time

Visit site
Hi,

I never found out.... Even after a new battery pack… Same thing. I expect the lifters to be the issue … Not sure how they work but it could be the coal in the liftmotor that is going bad.

A_8

Visit site
My impression was also that it got worse with high humidity so your coal theory might be good. I always assumed if one decided to take it apart it would be obvious what the problem was but it never got bad enough for me to actually do anything.

Portofino

Visit site
There must be as it stops at each end and I see where you are going...very likely they are acting up.

No relays or limit switches.

I had a similar problem with a table lifter .
This ram fits inside the pedestal.Same principal of operation there’s a D.C. motor at the bottom 6 inches .You can see it on your pic and on mine with the old unit where I have dismantled it .
The motor has bushes so check those .

You release two long screws at the motor end and the motor + worm pulls out .
With mine the worm gears had worn and caused a intermittent jam .

There’s no relays as such instead some sort of nylon Bush at each end of the rod past the worm that allows the motor the continue running when either it’s fully extended or retracted .

The expectation is the user releases the button .
And yes the up/ down button was spring loaded to off so you had to hold it in position to energise the motor .

I did initially grease the worm and clean the bushes etc which gave me another couple of seasons then eventually replaced the whole unit .
Barka is the brand but as said I think they all share the same tech .

You can’t pull push them without power .This is obvious as they statically have to support weight .( tender garage door , table , hatch etc )When off they stay put .
So in a twin I guess if one looses power or jams it stalls both .

Attachments

• 4617615A-7990-4113-9CAA-57AA2D26069D.jpg
    4617615A-7990-4113-9CAA-57AA2D26069D.jpg
    505.6 KB · Views: 1

Fish Face

Visit site
Thanks for the feed back on the lifts. Glad to see there are others with the issue.

This weekend i checked the voltage it had 13 volts at rest when the switch was hit it dropped to 11.9 V to role out a bad ground or other wiring issues I cut the wires and ran both lift motors to the battery. The results were the same they would run 4 seconds and shut down.

I suspect there is a flat spot or worn brushes. I could probably take them out and rebuild them but Ill likely end up replacing the lifts and be done with it.