Ultimate Showdown?

Andrew_Fanner

Visit site
Hornblower vs Aubrey vs Bolitho vs Ramage vs?

Which and why?

I'll nail my colours to the mast with Hornblower first and Aubrey a very close second. Hornblower because I read them first and Aubrey because they evoke the times so well. I always found Bolitho rather formulaic and never got on well with Ramage.

beancounter

Visit site
I'm with you on number 1 certainly. I read a few Ramage novels some years ago, and thought they weren't bad - I've been given half a dozen recently, so I'll have chance to revisit.

Agree about Bolitho - I've got 'em all, but must admit that the last few were read out of duty to complete the story. I felt they were a bit of a soap opera/historical romamce towards the end. Sort of "Poldark" afloat.

I'm afraid my jury is still out on Aubrey, but I'd like to try some Nathaniel Drinkwater stories.

Incidentally, I seem to remember some books about a character called Kelso (of the Bombay Marine) - I read a couple when I first got into Naval fiction in my early teens

Talbot

Visit site
I suspect that peoples choice here will be slanted towards whichever one they read first.

The first I read was Mr Midshipman Easy, Author was Captain Frederick Marryat, who also wrote a number of other books ("Children of the New Forrest" is the only one I remember). This took me on to the Hornblower stories which have been my preference until I came to O'Brian.