UK’s biggest warship suffers propeller shaft damage off south coast after setting sail for US

dslittle

Visit site
there was a big briefing for the Typhoon radar test equipment...
Young thrusting Engineer stood up and said..
"We have a new Idea, one test equipment .. Lots of adaptors so each piece of the radar can be tested on it.." (or words to that effect)

Whereupon there was a groan from the audience...
That's what they introduced with the Tornado aircraft..
The biggest problem was... bent pins on all the adaptor connectors.. I used to be good at changing them...

You know that you’ve been around too long when you see the circle turning for the third/fourth time with another ‘new’ idea from some young bright thing (destined for higher ranks!!!)

Chiara’s slave

Visit site

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
Right: we have been told something.

The issue concerns an SKF coupling. SKF couplings are secured and released using grease.

A reporter may have been told that there was “insufficient grease pressure” and assumed that the “pressure” wasn’t the important word.

SKF used to insist on their people being present to witness the coupling push up…

Now we can speculate on what is meant by an “external coupling”.

Attachments

• AB8F4519-BB83-4DDC-9BE9-F54C79FE994D.jpeg
    AB8F4519-BB83-4DDC-9BE9-F54C79FE994D.jpeg
    54.8 KB · Views: 41

capnsensible

Visit site

The issue concerns an SKF coupling. SKF couplings are secured and released using grease.

A reporter may have been told that there was “insufficient grease pressure” and assumed that the “pressure” wasn’t the important word.

SKF used to insist on their people being present to witness the coupling push up…

You are gonna love the irony here.
I've been down the marina doing engine runs on a couple of yachts.
One of them, a Beneteau 331 with a yanmar engine has a problem. When running in ahead, there is some vibration and a load of black smoke and unburnt fuel from the exhaust. All indications are that......there is probably something wrapped around the prop or shift! Gonna have to snorkel for a look.... :eek:

Won't need a dry dock tho. :).

ean_p

Visit site

As a general rule such couplings are fitted using hydraulic pressure the release of which makes for a friction 'grip' on the shaft through which the 'drive' operates. Perhaps due to machining tolerances being out of spec or poor installation practice the friction grip has been overcome. If the shaft has slipped and scored the shaft then it will be some serious remedial work.

Kukri

Visit site
Thanks ean_p.

Here’s some speculation:

Those outboard shafts are very long…

I will now guess that because the outboard shafts are so long, with not one but two “P” brackets, there has to be a coupling in the shaft, outboard of the stern seal, in order to be able to get the shafts out during docking, in which case you would want to have the coupling in a benign environment in which case you would think about shrouding the shafts at least as far as the first “P” bracket …

I think this might be a recipe for disaster… I think of the Blue Funnel “Super P” class ships which had deep tanks for palm oil etc. In the drive for maritime perfection the deep tanks, which of course had steam heating coils, had cofferdams. Which would have been great if there had been room to get into the space and paint it… but there was six inches…

1938692A-4F61-4C8B-9B10-BCF1380FD39F.jpeg143B5833-BE9F-4179-9520-678110EB5BA5.jpeg
Second picture is from the Daily Mail and could be wrong but it looks like the shaft is shrouded

Kukri

Visit site
It's in the DM, we can discard it as the product of a fever dream. A failed muff coupling is pretty unusual.

My second picture is from Harmsworths’ Völkischer Beobachter, but Captain Sensible’s source for his report is much more credible:

HMS Prince of Wales to be dry-docked while HMS Queen Elizabeth takes on some of her tasking | Navy Lookout

So it does look like a failed coupling - I have heard of such a thing happening with a coupling inboard of the stern gland on one of OCL’s twin screw ships - the screw didn’t fall out, luckily, and some highly motivated engineers got the brake on and secured the shaft - so it’s not completely impossible, but it does raise questions about the accuracy of the machining and the fitting of the coupling.

Bilgediver

Visit site
If modern capital ships can be disabled by a bit of string perhaps we should be investing our billions in different technology.
If it isnt a bit of string we should be investing in engines and prop systems that work. The track record on that is poor. I wonder what else doesnt work.

Modern ships of an oil lubricated tail shaft. This means there is a face to face seal between the prop and stern tube as well as another similar seal in the machinery space. The out one has a guard so should be protected. Not sure that a fishing line would do much harm but a mooring line especially a wire spring could do a lot of harm if the shaft was turned before the wire was clear of the water.

The shaft bearing is lubricated by a header tank fixed above sea level and this might have emptied if a seal failed. Mind you normally a low level alarm is fitted.

Bilgediver

Visit site
These ships were put together by people with no experience of big ship construction. No ships of this (actually quite modest) size had been built in the UK for twenty years. And we know there was a shaft alignment issue (covered up) on the sister. So I don’t rule out a design or construction fault. The people who threw these ships together gave us the Type 45s, remember?

I wonder if it is a yard problem with the fitting of the sleeve couplings. Did they go a Full astern and the shaft slipped out ;)

I believe a problem with the other carrier was that undersized and or insufficient bolts used on the main shaft thrust bearings. These sheared while the BBC were filming and the results shown to millions but not commented on. What we saw was the thrust load taken up by something mounted on the shaft in the engine space. This failed miserably in a cloud of sparks. I believe we also saw the thrust bearing displaced forwards. I was not impressed by those on watch. One would thing that an engineer or surveyor might have spotted the wee bolts!. In a later program we were shown the basic mod where the thrust bearings were now held in place with addition structure welded fore and aft to take the thrust to the hull and relieve the bolts. I was amazed these had not been spotted and removed from the program.

This appears to have been a drawing error.

Bilgediver

Visit site

Maybe we should send a copy to Rosyth ? ;) Yes it is important to pump those well oiled taper components together. Suppose now they may check the others on both vessels.

https://www.skf.com/binaries/pub12/...372---Couplings-brochure(4)_tcm_12-463858.pdf

I foretold that she would need low water on a Spring tide to do that.

Give here some of your buddies tugs and if she gets here by the 8th she might make it.

Last edited:

Bilgediver

Visit site

I take it that there is an SKF coupling somewhere between the P bracket and hull entry point. . Wonder if they have to draw all the shafting aft if the stern seal is at the end of a tube to the P bracket which the earlier sketch suggests. ? Maybe the prop fell off and that is what they were looking for ;)

Kukri

Visit site
I take it that there is an SKF coupling somewhere between the P bracket and hull entry point. . Wonder if they have to draw all the shafting aft if the stern seal is at the end of a tube to the P bracket which the earlier sketch suggests. ? Maybe the prop fell off and that is what they were looking for ;)

That’s what I am thinking, too. It makes sense.

The only reason that I can think of for giving the afterbody the form that it has, is fuel efficiency.