Two rescued in Salcombe accident

ashtead

Visit site
Even if covered by a foreign insurer where policy issued historically claims will still be valid. Most foreign insurers have pending third country branch applications with regulators and can continue under what is known as temporary permissions -TPR lasts for a while yet. If you are with a Gibraltar based underwriter I believe same applies ie Gib insurers continue to trade as before without impact so far. Situation seemed very sad given they were not I guess that far from what might be regards as a safe haven even though I don’t know area that well.

Babylon

Visit site
I don't understand why the question of a foreign underwriter has come into it? The report just refers to "a sailing boat". Was it a foreign yacht? What were they doing out there in such weather anyway?

doug748

Visit site
Yep, typical August weather.
Act of God, I think. Looks like a systems malfunction they may have been anchored previously. AIS might give a clue.
The weather in the area was not particularly dreadful, in the grand scheme of things. 20 + knots at Plymouth going up to gusts of over 30. Westerly with showers.

KeelsonGraham

Visit site
Babylon’s point, presumably, is that 20kt G30 is not unreasonable for experienced yachties. Unfortunately he phrased it in a gratuitously unpleasant way.

Don‘t rise to it. I’ve been sailing for 47 years but I’m also a ‘New Member’ on here.

Last edited:

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
We had a lovely trip from Plymouth to Ramsgate on Tuesday and Wednesday, blue skies, sunshine and a distinctive lack of wind. The weather was pretty rubbish on Thursday, but in Friday we did the Ramsgate to Lowestoft hop in a F5/F6 gusting F7 and saw only one other yacht.

graham

Visit site
It must be an incredibly powerful and emotional feeling when you know this is it your going to go on the rocks and may or may not survive.

All praise to the rescue services .

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
Quite probably sailing? There is more to the hobby that day trips around the Solent picking and choosing the weather to go out in.
Salcombe is quite some distance from 'Lake Solent'. Last time I did that passage, it was just a tad more that a day, but you do need to add about six hours as I was leaving Plymouth. Hang on we were 10 nm south of St. Catherine's Lighthouse.

Shuggy

Visit site
I found the number of shouts around Salcombe yesterday a bit odd. My youngest son is sailing with friends down there so we've been watching the forecasts with interest; they were in Salcombe when that happened and my wife and I agreed that we would have been happy going out given the forecast, which was F7 SW IIRC with a bit of chop. Nothing too bad. I think there were were 3 or 4 RNLI interventions and we can't really work out why. Is there something about that bit of coast that means it's worse than it looks on paper, or are there lots of inexperienced skippers and crew sailing there? The Fastnet mob didn't seem to having major problems. Genuinely interested rather than criticising anything.

stranded

Visit site
I found the number of shouts around Salcombe yesterday a bit odd. My youngest son is sailing with friends down there so we've been watching the forecasts with interest; they were in Salcombe when that happened and my wife and I agreed that we would have been happy going out given the forecast, which was F7 SW IIRC with a bit of chop. Nothing too bad. I think there were were 3 or 4 RNLI interventions and we can't really work out why. Is there something about that bit of coast that means it's worse than it looks on paper, or are there lots of inexperienced skippers and crew sailing there? The Fastnet mob didn't seem to having major problems. Genuinely interested rather than criticising anything.
One (at least) of my pilot books references often magnified conditions close inshore between Bolt Head and Bolt Tail. Likewise east of Salcombe which we experienced last Saturday afternoon when a slight bouncy beat into a F5ish became a surprisingly boisterous bash round Prawle Point - not enough to be a problem but enough for my first timer crew’s eyes to widen a bit.

Juan Twothree

Visit site

Details and a video on Salcombe Rnli's Facebook page.

First they had the yacht on the rocks, previously discussed, followed by a yacht with a fouled prop, then later an ILB search for a PLB activation, and finally an unrelated EPIRB alert.

Nothing found on the two searches.

Shuggy

Visit site
Details and a video on Salcombe Rnli's Facebook page.

First they had the yacht on the rocks, previously discussed, followed by a yacht with a fouled prop, then later an ILB search for a PLB activation, and finally an unrelated EPIRB alert.

Nothing found on the two searches.

That makes more sense now - thank you.

longjohnsilver

Visit site
One (at least) of my pilot books references often magnified conditions close inshore between Bolt Head and Bolt Tail. Likewise east of Salcombe which we experienced last Saturday afternoon when a slight bouncy beat into a F5ish became a surprisingly boisterous bash round Prawle Point - not enough to be a problem but enough for my first timer crew’s eyes to widen a bit.
We’ve passed Bolt Head/Tail dozens of times and it’s almost always considerably rougher than the areas either side of it. We call it the Salcombe slop.