TV on Board

Blue5

Visit site
For marital harmony I need to get a TV for the boat. So 12v, digital wth DVD player, freeview and with USB connection. Well thats the wish list...........

So what to get, any reccomendations?

philip_stevens

www.celticwebdesign.net
For marital harmony I need to get a TV for the boat. So 12v, digital wth DVD player, freeview and with USB connection. Well thats the wish list...........

I got my 15" LCD TV from Comet. 12vdc, DVB, DVD, Freeview, Scart, USB, etc.

Just look for a set that uses a power pack to run it. I can run mine from the 12vdc or 240vac from shore supply or the inverter - to keep the voltage stabilised at 12vdc (not the most power efficient, but keeps the voltage at 12vdc, as the power pack does)

oldharry

Visit site
Stabilised 12v supply.

12 volt batteries freshly topped up by an alternator can give as much as 14volts initially. Most 12v electronics need 12v not 13.75, which can be enough to cause overheating and damage. Others have a built in voltage regulator which holds the input voltage to the required 12volt. There is no way of telling whether the unit has a voltage regulator built in, or whether it needs an external one unless the input voltage has a specified range (e.g. 10 - 16v DC) as most units designed for onboard use do (GPS, chartplotters etc).

Operating through an invertor is very inefficient, and consumes much more battery power per hour of viewing.

Maplins do a range of suitable voltage regulators for laptops and 12v appliances.

BAtoo

Visit site
Having been through this recently following a liveaboard session the TV is not the main issue, reception, and consequently aerial choice is.

Check the TV reception coverage where you are likely to be using it. Aerial choice is difficult unless you want/can fit a standard "house" aerial which I did not want to do. I did not try one of the very expensive mobile ones and the cheaper end models were no good, even with boosters, in an area of known poor signal strength.

Ultimately I went for a "camping satellite kit" from Maplins which worked very well - fortunately I was marina based with a good clear view to the South. Only lost signal a few times when the wind was really blowing. Not sure how good it would be on a swinging mooring/at anchor though.... Clamped the dish to the pushpit and with a bit of practice could get it tuned in within a few minutes using the basic dish pointer attachment, a signal meter, and a close-up view of my location at www.dishpointer.com (over the 6th boat from the end on the opposite trot was very accurate :) )

Would echo the comments about getting one to work off a "brick" too and would probably run it through a 12-24 variable device also from Maplins for £20 ish which plugs into the 12V sockets.
http://www.maplin.co.uk/72w-12v-in-car-in-air-laptop-adaptor-with-usb-charging-socket-387730
The satellite kit runs off a brick and a 12 plug too.

Last edited:

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
If you are not spending the entire sailing trip in the marina, may I suggest a supply of good books from the library or a charity shop? Reception is much better & you can still speak to each other from time to time.

But maybe you don't want to leave the marina or talk to each other? :confused:

ProDave

Alness / Black Isle Northern Scottish Highlands.
Visit site
Ultimately I went for a "camping satellite kit" from Maplins which worked very well - fortunately I was marina based with a good clear view to the South. Only lost signal a few times when the wind was really blowing. Not sure how good it would be on a swinging mooring/at anchor though....

A satellite dish needs to remain positioned to within about 2 or 3 degrees, So it would be absolutely no use whatsoever on a swing mooring.

Personally I even doubt it's any good on a boat on a pontoon. The heel as you move around the boat could be enough to upset it, unless it's a very large boat.

BAtoo

Visit site
A satellite dish needs to remain positioned to within about 2 or 3 degrees, So it would be absolutely no use whatsoever on a swing mooring.

Personally I even doubt it's any good on a boat on a pontoon. The heel as you move around the boat could be enough to upset it, unless it's a very large boat.

Well having actually used one, in a Marina, on a smallish (31ft), fin keeler that some may describe as "skittish" I am able to say that I was surprised how tolerant the system was. Walking around in the boat had little effect on signal drop out; winds under 30kts made little difference and even in high wind the drop-out was only temporary.

I did say I had not tried it on a mooring or at anchor so as I haven't done it I will not comment on the efficacy.
As I'm on a (sheltered) swinging mooring for this year I might give it a go just to see.....and then comment :) :)

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
How very predictable..... :D

And your point is????

Are you telling me I don't have the right to suggest a low tech alternative?

Or are you saying I have no right to comment? You are free to put me on ignore if I have upset you (or any one else). By all means, join in the discussion, but I dont see the value in simply "dissing" a contribution. :confused:

Apologies to OP for being drawn into an off-thread argument.

Blue5

Visit site
And your point is????

Are you telling me I don't have the right to suggest a low tech alternative?

Or are you saying I have no right to comment? You are free to put me on ignore if I have upset you (or any one else). By all means, join in the discussion, but I dont see the value in simply "dissing" a contribution. :confused:

Apologies to OP for being drawn into an off-thread argument.

Your post was well recived and we did smile but technology moves on........... and if the TV also acts as a DVD, games player, computer monitor and music centre I can get rid of the gramaphone and myriad of board games, not to mention the 3cwt of paper backs now stored on the Kindle:D

Its a TV or singlehanding....................Hmm:D

Thepipdoc

Visit site
Your post was well recived and we did smile but technology moves on........... and if the TV also acts as a DVD, games player, computer monitor and music centre I can get rid of the gramaphone and myriad of board games, not to mention the 3cwt of paper backs now stored on the Kindle:D

Its a TV or singlehanding....................Hmm:D

I have an Avtex 12v TV bought from here.
http://www.12vtv.co.uk/

Good service and good TV.

fergie_mac66

Visit site
If you are not spending the entire sailing trip in the marina, may I suggest a supply of good books from the library or a charity shop? Reception is much better & you can still speak to each other from time to time.

But maybe you don't want to leave the marina or talk to each other? :confused:
Know what you mean.We had 10 days on boat at xmas new year took a tv.How does anybody have time to watch it on the boat.In 10 days the only thing we had time to watch was a half of a docudrama about Morcambe and Wise and we fell asleep during that on account of the Bushmills!

Edit: edit was an old 12 flat screen that i noticed had a 12v socket

Last edited:

Skylark

Visit site
I've had a 12v, digital tv with built-in DVD player on board for a few years and enjoyed its entertainment value. I never had great success with the tv; I used a hi-gain, domestic, indoor aeriel, with and without a power amp, in all manner of positions including half-way up the mast attached to a halyard.

Over winter, I've just had the electronics up-graded and I decided to have a Glomex (actualy, I think it's the competitor but can't recall the name) fitted to the top of the mast. I have to say that I'm absolutely delighted with it.

Making final preparations for launch this past weekend I managed to get a lot of work done while SHMBO enjoyed the company of Andrew Marr. I could never have achieved so much with the constant distraction of otherwise being "helped" with the odd jobs on the list ;)

Ex-SolentBoy

Visit site

We have an Avtex. Stunning picture, everything you have listed and more. The 19 inch one is great if you have room.

EugeneR

Visit site
Over winter, I've just had the electronics up-graded and I decided to have a Glomex (actualy, I think it's the competitor but can't recall the name) fitted to the top of the mast. I have to say that I'm absolutely delighted with it.

Years ago, I fitted a Glomex antenna but never got around to fit the amplifier / control box. I do not like the control box as it does not have an "off" setting and consume about 28mA in it's lowest setting. Despite not having the amplifier installed, the TV worked well except for a little ghosting on one or two channels, as expected.

In preparation our Royal Wedding needs, however, I decided to fit the control box last weekend. What a disappointment! In "low" amplification mode, there was absolutely no reception and in "high" mode, we have exactly what we had without the box installed. After all the work i.e. to flush mount the panel out of sight and aligned with the other controls, it was a big let-down!

On the TV front, we went the 12v TV route many years ago, connected to the aux 13.6v socket. Although I expected it to give up (it was something like £89), we never had any problems. Thinking about LED/HD/FV version now - possibly through a voltage regulator chip this time.

Also, I replaced the built-in radio/CD with a radio/CD/DVD player combination, sort of expecting it to give up after a year or so given that it is not a marine unit... but everything still working perfectly.

Grumpybear

Visit site
I fitted the Status antenna, and wired the 12v supply to the booster via one of the switches on the distribution panel. The booster itself is mounted on a wooden pad already bonded to the hull behind the panel, so out of sight.

in my experience the keys to a good signal are having the right quality of cable, minimising the number of connectors and using the right ones. Without these, the best aerials will not work properly.