Tropea Harbor

daleboutm

Visit site
We are at the moment in Tropea Marina Calabria and considering staying here for a year with leaving the boat in the water. Is there any experience about the safeness of the harbor? As usual the harbormaster says it is very safe but has anyone heard of a harbormaster saying something different about his harbor? By the way the place is very beautiful and that is the reason for our consideration to stay here for a longer time.

Helly

Visit site
No idea, but agree it's very beautiful.

Are you still there? If so, my mum and dad are due to arrive today - rival 36 called osprey. They've had a bit of an adventure getting there, so it would be lovely if you could say hello :)

daleboutm

Visit site
Hi Helly,

Yes a Rival 36 called Osprey is in the harbor but I think there is nobody on board or the are sleeping. I will give it a try tomorrow. What do you mean with they have had a bit of adventure? Need they some kind of help something we could do?

Helly

Visit site
They've had a bit more wind than expected on their way from Vasiliki, so the last bit (via riposto) was a bit hairy. Boat, skip & first mate fine, though. They are probably showering, sleeping or somewhere drinking prosecco!

Jealous of you being there. It's one of my favourite places.

Sorry to derail with no info whatsoever about the question in you OP!

DaiB

Visit site
hi, we overwintered there afloat about five years ago. there can be a bit of a surge but on advice from the locals we set up with springs in the stern lines and i think we had double bow/lazy lines. anyway the boat was fine and the marinaero,s kept an eye on her. we also had a friend living locally who checked her out occasionally. loved the place.

Mrnotming

Visit site
I seem to remember it a bit shallow(drawing 1.8 metres).great food and veg, about 256 steps up to the lovely town!would like to visit again.

billcowan

Visit site
Tropea has had a few organizational problems over the last few years resulting of neglect of ground tackle, electric service etc. Yes surge can be horrid.
The town is lovely, if a bit of a tourist trap, but my choice every time is Vibo 13 nm north. Marina Stella del Sud. cheap, well run, clean, good boat yard(s), beach nearby, no steps to town, genuine Italian working town, worlds best deli - Baldo's great restaurant 'Maria Rosa' and you can do a day trip to Tropea on the train if you want !