Treadmaster Alternative – A Suggestion

HinewaisMan

www.oceanodyssey.net
After over 15 years, the non-slip on my companionway steps was finally starting to show some wear. And I am a live aboard so it’s a high traffic area.

Was well happy with the non-slip I’d applied in Darwin (Aus) all those years ago, but I couldn’t seem to find it in this country. Treadmaster seems to be king, and when I managed to score some, I thought great, it’ll do, everyone seems to use it.

But it felt very hard so I tried standing on it. Bare feet as most of my sailing is in the tropics. Thankfully before expoxying it down cos it felt like standing on, well, sort of shards of volcanic rock. One member here in a thread commented his wife found it destroyed her bikini bottoms. Nope, not for me.

There’s a surprising number of threads here and elsewhere about alternatives to Treadmaster, but they weren’t that helpful. So I contacted the manufacturers of my old non-slip back in New Zealand.

Now, I can’t say I’ve been that impressed with the marine industry here in the UK, enquiries seem to take an age, and the tradies here in Dover, with a couple of exceptions, suck. For the first time in my life I’m actually suing someone for the balls up he made on my boat.

But it wasn’t a surprise to get a reply straight back from NZ, and Yes, they do have a stockist and applicator over here. So I dropped them an email this morning.

What a pleasure to deal with them. And they had the product. And it’ll be on its way to me tomorrow.

So, for what it’s worth, Fellow Lovers of the Water, I would thoroughly recommend James of Indigo Marine down on the Isle of Wight.

And if you are looking for an alternative to Treadmaster, have a look at Ultralon and their U-Dek products. Not cheap, but it won’t destroy bikini bottoms. Then speak to James.

I have no commercial relationship with either company, I am just a happy customer.

RJJ

Visit site
We recently visited a Dashew from 1994. They had stripes of chopped coconut matting glued to the floor and companionway steps. Looked like new, and very grippy. The owners related that Dashew tried several dozen alternatives and this is what they came up with.

Neeves

Visit site
Coconut matting obviously works on a large vessel, Dashew's are not small, but I'd be less sure to experiment on something more 'our' size. I'd worry also about holding water and cleaning. On a Dashew you could have a wet and dry vacuum cleaner.

Most of us want something off the shelf - HinewaisMan seems to have found something.

Jonathan

Praxinoscope

Visit site
My boat has Tek-Dek which is a good non-slip surface and I assume is very similar to the NZ Tektread.
It does provide an effective non-slip surface and looks quite attractive as it is manufactured to look a bit like teal decking, I do however add one small concern, it can get very hot on a sunny day, uncomfortably hot in bare feet, and this may suggest a limitation for for those in warmer climates.